Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the German (yes, they have 🤣 humour) MG4 group:

❓ I’m considering replacing my electric car (BEV) with a car that uses fossil fuels and I have a few questions?🤔

📌 I’ve heard that you can’t refuel gasoline cars at home at night while you’re sleeping? How often do you have to refuel elsewhere? Will there be a solution for home refueling?

đź“Ś Which parts need to be serviced and how often? The car salesman mentioned oil in the engine and timing belts that need to be replaced, as well as a box with gears in it. What is that? How much will this oil change cost and how often - and what happens to the old oil? Moreover, these gasoline cars usually only stop by the brakes - so the brakes wear out much faster - how long do they last compared to my current car, which lasts more than 100,000 km?

đź“Ś Do I get fuel back in a gasoline or diesel vehicle when I slow down or go downhill?

đź“Ś The car I test drove seemed to have a delay when I pressed the accelerator until it started to accelerate. Is this normal with gasoline vehicles?

📌 I currently pay about 4 euros per 100 kilometers for driving our electric car. I’ve heard that gasoline can cost up to 8 times as much. Is that true?

đź“Ś Is it true that gasoline is flammable?

📌 I’ve heard that the main component of gasoline is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil cause environmental problems, as well as conflicts and major wars that have cost millions of lives in the past 100 years? Is there a solution?

📌 I’ve also heard that oil has to be transported all over the world to convert it into gasoline or diesel, and that these ships have damaged the environment in the past due to oil leaks, is that true? 📌 I’ve heard that cars with internal combustion engines are being banned in more and more cities around the world because they allegedly harm the environment and the health of citizens? Is that true?

📌 I’ve been told that these internal combustion engines make noise when you start them. So if you leave early, you can wake people up, and if many cars with internal combustion engines drive in the cities, do the cities become noisy?

đź“Ś Is it true that you can steal the fuel from the tank?

📌 How big is the range loss in cold weather? I’ve been told that a car that normally consumes about 5 liters per 100 can rise to 6 liters per 100 km in winter - I’m just curious.

📌 I’ve also been told that the exhaust gases are not good for you and that you die if you run the car in a closed space - like a garage - that’s not true, is it?

đź“Ś A neighbor told me that these gasoline cars contain about 40 to 60 liters of a highly flammable liquid, which is usually pumped into 4 or 6 steel cylinders and then detonated to produce expanding gas that moves a piston and converts a linear motion into a rotary motion. Why would anyone want thousands of explosions to take place within 1.5 meters of your seat?

đź“Ś A colleague told me that his car leaks oil. When he parks, he leaves dirty spots on the ground and directly pollutes the environment. How long does it take for something like this to happen?

📌 My father told me - if you buy a diesel car - that you have to wear special gloves when refueling so that your hands don’t smell, and if you spill it on your clothes, it’s terrible.

đź“Ś Is it true that gasoline and diesel are so dangerous that you can only buy the fuel at special gas stations and not everywhere (hotels/parking lots/home/work)?

đź“Ś Will I ever be able to charge my internal combustion engine car with just the help of the sun despite technological progress?

đź“Ś Is it true that with a gasoline or diesel car you have to scrape ice yourself in the cold? And does it really take 2 to 3 km before the heating works?