Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“ICE Vehicles” Is Passé? Now It’s “Thermal Vehicles”…???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We used to call it “global warming”, but now we call it “climate change”. No doubt, “times, they are a changing.” It seems that “ICE vehicles” (internal combustion engine vehicles) is too difficult for most people to follow, so now some are calling them “thermal vehicles”.

I read an interesting article about a possible location for a future Gigafactory in Spain. No, this isn’t in the wrong thread; just bare with me. As I was reading the article linked below, I could not help but notice that the author used the term “thermal vehicles” to refer to what I’ve been calling “ICE vehicles”. Admittedly, I often have to qualify the term “ICE” when foaming at the mouth about the current EV revolution, as I share with my friends and family about the superiority of EV’s over petrol-powered vehicles, TESLA in particular. Notwithstanding, I required no further explanation when I read the term “thermal vehicles”, yet—at the same time—it seems this may be a misnomer, as it implies that EV’s do not generate heat (“thermal” = heat), or—perhaps, more correctly—EV’s are simply not powered by heat. Ironically, I was just telling me friend yesterday (as I often use this line of reasoning) that “it’s 2023 and we still use fire to power our vehicles! What are we, cavemen!???”

Notwithstanding, what are your thoughts on the appropriateness and the use of the term “thermal vehicles” to describe “ICE vehicles”? Is it superior to the latter, if not merely self-explanatory?

It’s actually the Combustion (combination of air and a fuel) as it associated volumetric expansion that is the key part of ICE, not the thermal properties. The thermal (heat) aspect tends to be more of a waste than anything.
Therefore, I don’t even like the idea of referring to the Thermal aspect.
If you don’t like the ‘Internal’ restriction or, perhaps unnecessary ‘Engine’ in the acronym, perhaps, just go with ‘Combustion’ car.

• Informative
Reactions: THEbuz
We used to call it “global warming”, but now we call it “climate change”. No doubt, “times, they are a changing.” It seems that “ICE vehicles” (internal combustion engine vehicles) is too difficult for most people to follow, so now some are calling them “thermal vehicles”.

I read an interesting article about a possible location for a future Gigafactory in Spain. No, this isn’t in the wrong thread; just bare with me. As I was reading the article linked below, I could not help but notice that the author used the term “thermal vehicles” to refer to what I’ve been calling “ICE vehicles”. Admittedly, I often have to qualify the term “ICE” when foaming at the mouth about the current EV revolution, as I share with my friends and family about the superiority of EV’s over petrol-powered vehicles, TESLA in particular. Notwithstanding, I required no further explanation when I read the term “thermal vehicles”, yet—at the same time—it seems this may be a misnomer, as it implies that EV’s do not generate heat (“thermal” = heat), or—perhaps, more correctly—EV’s are simply not powered by heat. Ironically, I was just telling me friend yesterday (as I often use this line of reasoning) that “it’s 2023 and we still use fire to power our vehicles! What are we, cavemen!???”

Notwithstanding, what are your thoughts on the appropriateness and the use of the term “thermal vehicles” to describe “ICE vehicles”? Is it superior to the latter, if not merely self-explanatory?

Maybe a bad translation of slang?

I like Bjorn Nyland's term "Fossil Cars" (because they run on dinosaur juice). It simultaneously describes how they work and where they are headed.
Yeah, but EV’s have a bigger “fossil” footprint at the time of production/sale than an ICE car. I like the term “ICE” because it is the most descriptive and the most accurate. Plus, EV’s still charge using fossil fuels that generates the power, as that is true in most cases. Wind and solar account for only single-digit amounts of the total grid energy.

I believe this statement was debunked a long time ago.
Um—no. That is a fact, my friend. It takes more energy to manufacture an EV with all its battery cells than is required to manufacture an ICE vehicle. However, when you compare the fossil footprint of EV’s with ICE vehicles over the life of both vehicle types, then (and ONLY then) the EV is more “environmentally-friendly”.

Um—no. That is a fact, my friend. It takes more energy to manufacture an EV with all its battery cells than is required to manufacture an ICE vehicle. However, when you compare the fossil footprint of EV’s with ICE vehicles over the life of both vehicle types, then (and ONLY then) the EV is more “environmentally-friendly”.
no. Refining and forming the soft materials required to make batteries and electric motors consumes nowhere near the energy required to make tough engines that can withstand the harsh temperatures and vibration an ICE must.
Those early FUD articles applied all of the development of EV and battery technology and amortized it over a very small sample of early compliance EVs. They compared it to the incremental energy used for commodity ICE vehicles.

no. Refining and forming the soft materials required to make batteries and electric motors consumes nowhere near the energy required to make tough engines that can withstand the harsh temperatures and vibration an ICE must.
Those early FUD articles applied all of the development of EV and battery technology and amortized it over a very small sample of early compliance EVs. They compared it to the incremental energy used for commodity ICE vehicles.
Believe what you want, man. I am all in on TESLA. “FUD” is as overused as the term “racist”. As a long-term investor of $TSLA, I have no reason to want what I stated to be true—except for I deal in truths. I have read and watched several sources that have reported what I’ve shared. Not sure you’re NOT speaking from a place of bias. Cheers, mate.

Believe what you want, man. I am all in on TESLA. “FUD” is as overused as the term “racist”. As a long-term investor of $TSLA, I have no reason to want what I stated to be true—except for I deal in truths. I have read and watched several sources that have reported what I’ve shared. Not sure you’re NOT speaking from a place of bias. Cheers, mate.
I’m not all-in on Tesla. I’m a huge skeptic in general, and want the truth. I’ve been looking for solutions to the oil and fuel problems Fe decades and EVs appear to be a sustainable solution.
FUD ( Fear, Uncertainty,and Doubt) is a means of sowing partial truths, mistruths, and outright lies by those trying to fight the truth in order to cause people to question who make up their decisions based on reading sources instead of understanding the technology, into questioning their judgement. It is clearly a viable tactic as such sources that are false and have were debunked long ago still are presented, by possibly well-intentioned people.
Racism is real too, even if often times calling someone racism has been weaponized, often times by true racists.