Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Front Defrost Mode
The Front Defrost control, located left of the Climate Control button, now offers 2 distinct settings: Normal and Max.
  • One tap turns the icon blue and enables Normal Defrost, which maintains the current temperature and fan speed.
  • Two taps turn the icon red . . . the standard behavior . . . .

"New Front Defrost Mode" still remains somewhat a mystery.

Update based on Waiting for 4.5 firmware [now with release notes] - Page 17:
New Front Defrost Mode
The Front Defrost control, located left of the Climate Control button, now offers 2 distinct settings: Normal and Max.
  • One tap turns the icon blue and enables Normal Defrost, which maintains the current temperature and fan speed.
  • Two taps turn the icon red and enable Max Defrost, the standard behavior previously unavailable in Model S.

The change from "standard" range to user defined range is genius: it will throw enough variables into the equation such that it will be quite difficult for folks to complain about "sudden loss of range" of x miles.

You could also argue people like Broder could then say 'I didn't know such a thing as 110% of a battery existed so I didn't fully charge the battery for my trip and ran out'. As long as they make it clear charging up to 100% is intended for trips I think most people will be fine.

Agreed.
I think 100% should mean 100%.

I imagine the reason why they're making the change in the first place is just to avoid Broder-like confusion. If you to ask for 110% to get 100%, it'll only add to that confusion.

I'm still planning to charge to 93% or whatever normal is. Sometimes you need to drive somewhere unexpectedly, and you don't want to have to say, "no, I can't go; I have an electric car that I didn't charge fully last night."

Me too. That's why Toyota/Lexus wants to sell you the overpriced DVD every year. If you don't buy the DVD, your map and NAV will be quickly outdated.

The Toyota "DVD Navigator" is a steaming piece of excrement. Even the name is unbelievably stupid. Utterly clumsy to use and requires memorizing the manual. I don't bother with it in my 2009 Prius, preferring to use my Android phone with Google maps and nav on it. Now that is a product to love even if it is on a tiny screen.

it sounds like the software to create 40kw cars from the 60's comes with 4.5

Called up the service center yesterday to schedule my appointment to fix my annoying "buzzing" noise behind the dash. It sounds like a beat up Dell computer with the power supply fan wailing away when I drive (a bit embarassing when people sit in my car). Anyways, the service center told me not to drop off the vehicle, because they are rolling out the v4.5 that is "supposed to correct" this fan issue next week. Beats the hell out of me how they are going to fix the fan issue as it sounds like the fan's motor behind the dash is about to die.

Software version 4.5 on my new P85

I picked up my car last night. It came with 4.5.
IMG_0534.jpg
IMG_0535.JPG

With the crazy-expensive peak-rates of TOU plans, I really hope we can disable the "Battery Support" feature... If not in this version, hopefully the next... Especially important when it comes to summer-time mid-day pre-cooling in the garage, which will land squarely in the peak period...

EDIT: Now that I think about it.. Maybe have it linked to the "scheduled charging" feature...