Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Tesla, first Model S - My Review after 1000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a black Model 3 in 2021. The car was delivered with scratches on the top of the trunk, which they failed to polish out because it was under the paint somehow. This was during the Great Chip Shortage and we would have to wait for another one for at least 6 more months, and we needed the car at that time, so we took it. This car worked fine, but black cars are... you know... ungrateful. Everything shows, they're a nightmare to wash, and they scratch very easily. But okay, the car is pretty great. They never apologized or offered to take care of things in any other way.

In 2022, I bought a white Model 3 because I really needed a car, and they had one left over from an unfilled quarter quota, so they offered it to me. That one was has been pretty great. No complaints. Much easier to maintain, but also attracts highway insects like nothing else.

Back in 2020, I ordered a Model S Long Range. It arrived scratched (Model S arrives scratched after 2.5 years of waiting for order) and 2 years late, but I got it at the original price. They fixed the glaring scratches (it took another 2 weeks) and I asked if I can at least get some swag from the shop next door (a hoodie or sth) for the 2 year delay, borked delivery, and being a third time customer. Got a "nope". Ah well.

I should note that these aesthetics do not bother me much - I know Tesla cannot be expected to have the build quality of giants like Ford, VW, and others who have been around for 100+ years, but the lacksadaisical attitude towards all of it is what threw me off in the end.

So now, I have been driving the black Model S for 1000km and my feedback so far is: I am done with the Tesla kool aid.

I originally got the car because it scores safest in the size category, and I wanted my family to be in the safest possible vehicle if they were in any vehicle at all. But with this many downsides and so many other manufacturers catching up on the safety part, I find myself jaded and feeling ... robbed. Here are my impressions of the Model S:

Pros:
  • very comfortable seats (except neck, see Cons)
  • display tilt is cool
  • suspension settings are cool
  • the size of the trunk is phenomenal
  • the sound and active noise cancelation are both great
  • car feels remarkably stable at high speeds, and high speeds really sneak up on you, it is very comfortable to glide at 210 kmh

Cons:
  • the reaction time to reverse/fwd is severely impacted by a lack of stalk switcher, which makes emergency/twitchy situations much more dangerous than before as it now takes precision and removing the hand from the wheel to actually switch into / from reverse.
  • no USS means full reliance on Camera. But since Camera is in such a bad shape (look through this forum), they just straight up removed that functionality for how broken and unsafe it is. This means that a $120k car has NO proximity sensors, NO park assist, and NO sentry detection in darkness or when lightly obscured.
  • sentry videos are a joke. Not only does is the red-dot untargetable, i.e. you cannot ever click on it and get that location of the video, the scrubbing precision is null, but also without USS it does not trigger half the time when people are around it. The fact that the car is BT connected to my phone but cannot send sentry videos to it is another joke.
  • no back pockets on the Model S seats, contrary to Model 3. Means my insurance papers and other docs have nowhere to be since the glovebox is too small for an A4 sized folder
  • "FSD (beta) visualization" (not driving, just viz) is horrible - does not see people, other cars - driving or parked - buildings, etc. The only things it reliably identifies are trashcans.
  • the neck has no support on the seats and the headrests are not adjustable. I really had to buy neck support pillows to feel comfortable.
  • the pop-out handles are trashy. They make a very old school "bzzzzp" noise that just feels cheap rather than high tech
  • the rain detection is much worse on the S than on the 3 - half the time when wipers are on Auto in heavy rain, I cannot see a thing, it triggers far too rarely
  • the voice commands are abysmally horrible. In a world of chatgpt and whisper, how can I not tell the car to automate headlights, play a playlist on shuffle, navigate to some place while avoiding tolls, attempt autopark, or raise/lower suspension?

Most of these issues are software based, and up until recently, Tesla vehicles were just robots with wheels that have excellent software. But this quality has gone down so much that it actively makes the car incredibly average. For this price tag, this to me is unacceptable. And I wish I had someone to talk to, I wish support existed, or that I could at least report a software bug right from the car (i.e. the damned wipers don't work well enough), but there is literally nothing. I reach out to the local salon and they are more clueless and helpless than I am - they have the same access to the same people (online forums) just speak worse English and have virtually zero contact with HQ.

How has this gone so downhill?

To add:
- Vibration from the front of the car between 70-120kmh when slowly accelerating.
- Severe vibration first few km's driving
- Nothing is mounted straight.
- Bubbles in windshield.
- Rattling rear bench.

These are all "normal" issues you just have to accept. Build quality is definitely average. My old Model 3 was way better built.

Still I think it's one the best overall electric car you can buy right now. I'm anxiously waiting for other brands to catch up and then I'm switching as well.

I would guess you do not have actual FSD Beta visualizations (I understand it says expanded visualizations or something like that (Beta), but it's completely different in actual FSD Beta) in Croatia as they are only in the US and Canada. Standard FSD visualizations are far less detailed and do not show all of the people, cones, curbs, sidewalks, etc compared to Beta.

Last edited:
If that's the case the MYP is really a 30,000 car.

The 3/Y are as luxurious as early 2000 civics in both ride quality and interior trim.
I’m not judging anyone who bought an S. Enjoy your car. I have two 2023 MYP and would say they’re $50K cars, which is what they price out as after the tax credit. And respectfully, I wouldn’t describe the S as “luxurious”.

I’m not judging anyone who bought an S. Enjoy your car. I have two 2023 MYP and would say they’re $50K cars, which is what they price out as after the tax credit. And respectfully, I wouldn’t describe the S as “luxurious”.
I have 2 MYs and. MS...the interior and ride quality is terrible. I've also grown to hate how inefficient the MY is. I can almost get EPA range at highway speed in the MS, but rarely get over 200 miles eith the MY.

The MS is nicer in every measurable ride outside of ride height, frunk space, and rear leg room.

Whether a better, faster, more comfortable ride with almost double the range is worth double the price is debatable, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy another low end Tesla after owning a MS.

I've learned that every Tesla I've owned has some issue that can drive you crazy until you can figure out a workaround, if there is one. Reason I didn't go with a 2023 as without USS it is a vastly diminished product for me and I couldn't see spending the money on it missing a key feature I relied on before. In OP's case he had no choice.

Fortunately the remaining issues I have there are likely workarounds. The rear camber issue when rolling on 21's can be addressed by a Macsboost camber kit relatively affordably without going to the very costly N2itive adjustable camber arms. The vibration between 38-42 is there but looks like the new half shaft arms Tesla is supposedly making might alleviate that issue or keeping the car in a lower ride mode. I fixed my rear seat rattle. That is pretty much my list of issues with the car.

I lied. I still hate the @!#$Q%$ lack of stalks. I grew to hate that even more than the yoke. Gear selection should be totally tactile, and be able to be operated in a hurry without taking your eyes off the road to do so. The S fails miserably in this area. I won't buy another Tesla if they continue to have such a stupid gear change system. It infuriates me at least once or twice every day and has resulted in more near misses for me than even the horrendous phantom braking issues on my MY. The Y was quite possibly the car I've had the most amount of buyers remorse for ever in my life.

The only reason to ever buy a Y over the 3 is you absolutely need more room all the time. Otherwise buy the 3, put a hitch on it with a bumper carrier for when you need more room. My S on 19's was vastly more efficient and my Plaid on 21's is at least last good and that factors in a lot more use of the accelerative capabilities of the Plaid. I have to say the say the 3 and Y just feel cheap inside no matter how you look at it and the lack of cooled/ventilated seats are a big miss. Big plus for the S to have them. I will have to say that the last Acura had nicer materials than my S does but I am not looking for an opulent interior. The S works quite well for me in general.

I feel bad for the OP to wait so long to get his car and have issues.

How has this gone so downhill?
I purchased a one year-old Model S (2022) and it’s flawless. Had you received a faulty car with build quality issues or damage, that would be understandable. But listing known attributes of the car that are clearly pre-determined designs and published functionality (no stalk/no USS) as “CONS” is a bit disingenuous. Did you do any research on the car?

Reactions: Jshoe
> Did you do any research on the car?

Yes, but some things you do not see the impact of until after using them for a while. Ultimately the stalk issue is truly minor, I did not find it hard to get used to. The USS thing was NOT known however (because I bought my car 2.5 years ago, and it took this long to get it), and the fact remains that this is a big 120k euro car with zero awareness of space around it. This is inexcusable under any agreement.

> Had you received a faulty car with build quality issues or damage, that would be understandable

I did. And I fixed most of those myself.

---

Now, I had the car polished, bought neck rests, put on a triple layer of ceramic protection, and put it up for sale. It is now well past 6 months into 2023, which means the entire fleet has been blind to its surroundings for 6 months while waiting for a software update which was promised ahead of time listed as the justification for the removal of USS.

I don't know if you bought any luxury cars before, but none of this is acceptable with any other brand. The dealership would get shut down and blacklisted for such a service.

I'll just say welcome to Tesla. They screwed all initially who bought the 3/Y in 2021 when they removed the radar after a lot of us had ordered. We had no idea what we were stumbling into and what a cluster that would be.

For the S, maybe you can find something similar to this for the front until, some day, they give you better situational awareness. At least for the rear you have the factory camera but I added this to use in addition to the USS. Maybe you can find something locally that will do the same. A agree the removal of the USS was a terrible idea. I didn't buy a 2023 because of that.

They just released the update that adds back camera based park assist. It is nowhere near as precise as USS, but it does work. I will report back after I do some adventurous testing, but for now I need to let the car sit so the ceramic protection coat I just put on it dries and bakes.

This what I love about Tesla...

Take away something that works well (USS). Replace it with something vastly inferior, and not even ready for rollout when the original item is removed from the car. Never mind it is a 100k car. Never mind that the original product wasn't even comparable to competitors or even class leading (360 degree camera view vs USS) but it least it was functional and accurate.

Nothing to see here. Just move along and suck up whatever Lord Elon decides to give us peasants.

Reactions: Snirpo
This what I love about Tesla...

Take away something that works well (USS). Replace it with something vastly inferior, and not even ready for rollout when the original item is removed from the car. Never mind it is a 100k car. Never mind that the original product wasn't even comparable to competitors or even class leading (360 degree camera view vs USS) but it least it was functional and accurate.

Nothing to see here. Just move along and suck up whatever Lord Elon decides to give us peasants.
Yea, but they ship a million cars a year, so the $150 savings on USS translates to $150M in annual profit. Not to mention simplifying supply chain and making production less susceptible to shortages (there is never a shortage of copies of the software). Not great for customers, but stockholders eat this up.

I've had 4 Model S'es in the last decade. I had a good run, don't regret it in the least, but stopped buying Tesla after they refused to warranty yellowing screens and then added a yoke (another cost saving measure). I started replacing Teslas with other brands since the new Model S has been a no go for me since the yoke (and no, rounded stalkless yoke is no substitute for a proper steering wheel). Below is the first replacement, which I must say, substitutes for a Model S great - the way it drives is just amazing, it was worth waiting 20 months for it (custom build). The next Model S will likely be replaced by a Merc EQS, which to me feels like a luxury Model S (same size, but with way more options like rear-wheel-steering, HUD, working Level 3 autonomous driving where you don't actually have to keep your hands on the wheel and watch it like FSD, and Mercedes assumes liability for any accidents caused by it, etc).
1686643593820.png

It’s all about the master vision of neural net
Yea, but they ship a million cars a year, so the $150 savings on USS translates to $150M in annual profit. Not to mention simplifying supply chain and making production less susceptible to shortages (there is never a shortage of copies of the software). Not great for customers, but stockholders eat this up.

I've had 4 Model S'es in the last decade. I had a good run, don't regret it in the least, but stopped buying Tesla after they refused to warranty yellowing screens and then added a yoke (another cost saving measure). I started replacing Teslas with other brands since the new Model S has been a no go for me since the yoke (and no, rounded stalkless yoke is no substitute for a proper steering wheel). Below is the first replacement, which I must say, substitutes for a Model S great - the way it drives is just amazing, it was worth waiting 20 months for it (custom build). The next Model S will likely be replaced by a Merc EQS, which to me feels like a luxury Model S (same size, but with way more options like rear-wheel-steering, HUD, working Level 3 autonomous driving where you don't actually have to keep your hands on the wheel and watch it like FSD, and Mercedes assumes liability for any accidents caused by it, etc).

View attachment 946492
I’m sure you’re a busy guy, but would really appreciate your thoughts on what you like about the Porsche vs the S. Beautiful cars!

It’s all about the master vision of neural net

I’m sure you’re a busy guy, but would really appreciate your thoughts on what you like about the Porsche vs the S. Beautiful cars!
Generally it's a different category of a car. It drives so much better (for me), more precise. It has rear wheel steering (makes the car feel smaller), dynamic chassis control (keeps the car leveled through turns), brakes which can take more punishment than Model S's. Compared to the Taycan, even the Sport+ SAS suspension felt like a road cruiser vs. sports car. Note the both are still very heavy EV's, so not in the same league as say a 911, but between the two, Taycan handles so much more precisely. It also has more available tech features, such as Apple CarPlay (Or Android Auto), HUD, noise insulated glass (and cabin), door pockets, steering wheel with stalks, FLIR night vision, camera washers, matrix headlights, true 360 camera coverage, USS sensors, a few radars for ACC and cross traffic type alerts, 18 way adjustable ventilated, seats etc. Slightly narrower trunk, but more leg/knee room for rear passengers (battery has "foot garages" than Model S. - my wife hated riding in the back of the Model S, totally doesn't mind the Taycan CT. By no means is Taycan a perfect car, it has its problems too, ADAS is definitely not as capable, neither is OTA, other issues mostly around software usability (which sometimes remind of Tesla's early days). Overall however, I like the Tyacan better - even if Elon was to offer a proper steering wheel for Model S, I would not go back. Perhaps if there is some all new Model S in the future which appeals to me, who knows.

Last edited:
Well, I have a model 2015 s and a performance 2018 3. I have 320 thousand miles on them (145 k ms85 and 184 k 2018 M3P). The model 3 is unbelievable worn ( console and door handles have all black worn off). The model s looks brand new. No comparison… I ordered another S.

Both have been great cars

Well, I have a model 2015 s and a performance 2018 3. I have 320 thousand miles on them (145 k ms85 and 184 k 2018 M3P). The model 3 is unbelievable worn ( console and door handles have all black worn off). The model s looks brand new. No comparison… I ordered another S.

Both have been great cars
Have you driven the new S before you ordered it? Besides the yoke (rounder or not, still an inferior control for a road car), the actual interior quality of the new ones seems much closer to 3 than the old S. My wife was switching from 2018 MS, test drove a new 2023 X and S and decided against either, which means a lot since she loved her Model S (which was her second one) and had her heart set on a Model X next. She said the new S/X felt cheap as compared to her 2018 MS, which I agree as the X steering yoke was already looking super worn, even though the car had barely 2K miles on it. She also noted that the cup holders shrunk and amount of console storage space was significantly reduces.