Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience upgrading to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a post to give my experience upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2.

My car prior to upgrade: 2017 Refresh Model S, MCU1, AP2.5, Sunroof, Sirius XM, AM/FM, LTE, FUSC, WiFi 2.4GHz, Free Premium Connectivity, EMMC Recall active, Autopilot (not FSD)

My car Post Upgrade: Still 2017 Refresh Model S, MCU2, AP3.0, Sunroof, FUSC, WiFi 5GHz, Free Premium Connectivity, EMMC Recall fixed, Autopilot - I didn't pay extra for FM radio or Sirius (AM not an option)

Cost: $2,250.00 🤢 but worth it.

TL;DR - Worth it - YES, if you're keeping the car for more than 2 more years. Much faster screen response with new animations in the driver dash screen. Cool new adds like: green light chime, Sentry/DashCam viewer, two new reverse cameras and firmware updates again! But the experience wasn't perfect. Tesla could have plus'd up the purchase expereience. Some apps broke or didn't work till later (Spotify/Disney+) and I feel like Tesla got away with an EMMC recall upgrade on my dollar.

Experience:
First, the experience itself is farily lack luster from Tesla. Totally worth it but when I spend $2,250 on an upgrade, I kinda expected a "tour of the new system" so to speak. "Congratulations on your MCU upgrade! Here are all the cool new things you can do with it!" All I got was a "your car is ready to be picked up" notification from the app.

The upgrade itself didn't take 100% and I had to take it back to have the software "reinstalled". I think this is one of those things I could have done going into service mode but I didn't realize it at the time. I didn't have Karaoke (didn't care but wanted what I paid for), and there were some games and features missing. It was almost as if they loaded a version of the software that wasn't specifically for my car. In any event, it got fixed ... sorta (more on that below).

The Awesome: The new MCU is fast. I mean really fast. The screen is buttery smooth and navigation speed is WAY faster. Prior to the upgrade, the screen was skippy and laggy. Navigating from Nor Cal to Disneyland took about 25 seconds to fully load and the route selection was not always ideal. After, it takes about 8 seconds to do the same task.

I now get firmware updates again and new features are still populating. I love that I can now view Dashcam/Sentry footage from the main screen without having to disconnect the HDD and plug into computer! The driver dash console has updated animations for traffic lights, road signs, construction cones, cars, people, bikes! It's eye candy-ish but still cool.

When I reverse, the two front fender cameras activate to aid in parking. That was a cool add! I also got the "green light chime" when sitting at a stop light. That's a neat feature.

Voice dictation works now. It sorta worked before but it struggled with basic things like "Call [wife name]". It would take several attemps to get accuracy before. Now it's near perfect and I can send voice text messages very reliably.

I'm a gamer so all the extra video games are pretty cool. When I charge, I can now play all the cool new games. Prior to the upgrade, the game experience was terrible. Now there are new games and they all actually work!

The Meh: At first, Disney+ would not play videos. It has since been fixed but I don't know when or why. I could login but videos were just black screens. No audio or video.

Spotify broke. I can play A song, but can't play a "song radio". After the first song ends, Spotify tries to keep playing the first but it just skipping/looping the first 2 seconds of the song that just played until it gives up. Typing every song I want to hear while driving sucks. Dunno if that's Tesla's software or Spotify's but I'm switching to Tidal because of this. Crossing fingers.

EMMC Recall - I kinda feel like Tesla got away with one on me. I paid to upgrade to MCU2 which fixed the "recall issue" they had. They would have had to fix an issue they had but because I upgraded, I fixed the problem for them. I would have liked to have been credited something for that but whatever. I'll get over it in like 2 years.

Cost - was it really worth it? For me yes but it was hard to choke down. I plan to keep the car for a while longer because I'm grandfathered into FUSC. Say what you will about the value but it's a hard perk to give up.

There's more to say I'm sure but these are the highlights. Your mileage may vary.

8508700496_6928a3822b_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

So far I’m underwhelmed with the upgrade. I’m actually really irritated with local service center. They had my car from Wednesday until Monday. It was supposed to be ready Friday. They kept messaging me through the app even though I called over and over and explained I couldn’t access the app messaging. I paid the 500 for radio, no radio. I also had to do 2 software updates. And it seems my mic isn’t working to talk to the car or make phone calls. Question for you guys, shouldn’t they have updated the mcu software and checked that everything worked?

Attachments

• IMG_8289.png
    IMG_8289.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 127
So far I’m underwhelmed with the upgrade. I’m actually really irritated with local service center. They had my car from Wednesday until Monday. It was supposed to be ready Friday. They kept messaging me through the app even though I called over and over and explained I couldn’t access the app messaging. I paid the 500 for radio, no radio. I also had to do 2 software updates. And it seems my mic isn’t working to talk to the car or make phone calls. Question for you guys, shouldn’t they have updated the mcu software and checked that everything worked?
The MCU upgrade has some sort of security key that makes it work with voice commands. They screwed that up on mine as well and I had to bring it back to the SC to fix it.

However, they had mine done same day. I'd estimate from the time between the car was moved and the car was available that the total effort is about 3 hours.

However, they had to take the dash apart again to fix the issue with the voice commands, which is some sort of security key that didn't get setup properly.

Regarding the app, their service center uses the app heavily and almost exclusively. I've never seen them make phone calls to someone before. I'm not even sure the techs have access to a phone.

Yep, had similar issues. Voice command didn't work along with a few other things I posted in the OP. I eventually realized that the software install didn't take 100%. I took the car back and in the parking lot, they performed a "reinstall". I have since realized you can really initialize that yourself at any time but whatever. Since then, I seem to have most of the software functioning. But yeah there was some back and forth that was irritating for a $2250 upgrade.

Reactions: FireFighterHil
Is it true that upgrading to MCU2 will restrict home charging to 48A? My 2015 85D currently charges at 72A in my garage. I would hate to lose that feature!
Not true. My 2015 P85D with dual 40A onboard chargers can charge up to 80A using my Gen2 Tesla Wall Connector on a 100A circuit after the MCU 2.0 upgrade (which we LOVE).

Attachments

• IMG_3346.png
    IMG_3346.png
    354.2 KB · Views: 77
I upgraded my 2015 Model S 70D with MCU2, IC2 and the FM Radio. Cost $2250 + tax. The cost, particularly $500 for the radio, seemed high but this upgrade has been totally worth it. Given how little service cost I've had over the past 8 years I shouldn't complain. Before the upgrade software updates had stopped, screen response was slow, had to re-boot from time to time, ... Now everything just works how it should.

If you are considering this upgrade to an older Model S I highly recommend it.

I upgraded my 2015 Model S 70D with MCU2, IC2 and the FM Radio. Cost $2250 + tax. The cost, particularly $500 for the radio, seemed high but this upgrade has been totally worth it. Given how little service cost I've had over the past 8 years I shouldn't complain. Before the upgrade software updates had stopped, screen response was slow, had to re-boot from time to time, ... Now everything just works how it should.

If you are considering this upgrade to an older Model S I highly recommend it.
What iOS IC2? I am mostly interested in access to live Sentry from mobile app. I did not buy any FSD package during original sale.

Just want to add that I also just upgraded to the Intel infotainment on my 2017 2.5 S, and wow what a difference. They also upgraded my firmware from a very old 2022.8.10 to 2023.20.8 and finally got to see new features like Apple Music integrated and other things OP mentioned. Then last week I got upgraded to 20.9 and now have full screen FSD, and its performance and visuals are just leaps and bounds over what I've had for years. Finally it takes turns on its own, takes off from stops, handles a roundabout that it always choked on, etc. I'm sure it has issues, but it's an entirely different experience.

Maybe someone can tell me if I ever would have been able to experience FSD like this had I not upgraded. The Stats app shows 67% of current non-FSD S cars have that old 2022.8.10, but only 0.1% of FSD S cars have that same old version.

Anyway after seeing how it now performs, I'm much more inclined to take the plunge and buy FSD on a Cybertruck.
I am interested in the Infotainment Update package* (would really like access to Live Sentry Cam from cellphone and more consistent use of Summon Feature). I have Enhanced Autopilot, no FSD. But tech informed me that would not be possible for me because 'FSD computer needed for Sentry Mode.' Yet you mentioned getting FSD with this upgrade. Did you buy FSD along with your infotainment upgrade?

*Official wording on the Estimate Statement:
"Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU With New Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0. ($2250)
Part:
MCU INTEL HW3
UPGRADE-FOR
TEGRAAP2.5 - NORTH
AMERICA(9874561-90-A)

I am interested in the Infotainment Update package* (would really like access to Live Sentry Cam from cellphone and more consistent use of Summon Feature). I have Enhanced Autopilot, no FSD. But tech informed me that would not be possible for me because 'FSD computer needed for Sentry Mode.' Yet you mentioned getting FSD with this upgrade. Did you buy FSD along with your infotainment upgrade?

*Official wording on the Estimate Statement:
"Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU With New Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0. ($2250)
Part:
MCU INTEL HW3
UPGRADE-FOR
TEGRAAP2.5 - NORTH
AMERICA(9874561-90-A)
This is the path that I took. I had a late model 2017 refresh AP 2.5 MCU1 Model S. I upgraded and got everything needed for FSD, and can now "subscribe" to it for $100/month but it does not come with the upgrade. Also, I did not get live Sentry Cam from cellphone as you mention. You will however be able to view Dash Cam/Sentry Mode footage from the touch screen going forward. It's slow to "boot up" but once it's on it works great.