Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience upgrading to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a post to give my experience upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2.

My car prior to upgrade: 2017 Refresh Model S, MCU1, AP2.5, Sunroof, Sirius XM, AM/FM, LTE, FUSC, WiFi 2.4GHz, Free Premium Connectivity, EMMC Recall active, Autopilot (not FSD)

My car Post Upgrade: Still 2017 Refresh Model S, MCU2, AP3.0, Sunroof, FUSC, WiFi 5GHz, Free Premium Connectivity, EMMC Recall fixed, Autopilot - I didn't pay extra for FM radio or Sirius (AM not an option)

Cost: $2,250.00 🤢 but worth it.

TL;DR - Worth it - YES, if you're keeping the car for more than 2 more years. Much faster screen response with new animations in the driver dash screen. Cool new adds like: green light chime, Sentry/DashCam viewer, two new reverse cameras and firmware updates again! But the experience wasn't perfect. Tesla could have plus'd up the purchase expereience. Some apps broke or didn't work till later (Spotify/Disney+) and I feel like Tesla got away with an EMMC recall upgrade on my dollar.

Experience:
First, the experience itself is farily lack luster from Tesla. Totally worth it but when I spend $2,250 on an upgrade, I kinda expected a "tour of the new system" so to speak. "Congratulations on your MCU upgrade! Here are all the cool new things you can do with it!" All I got was a "your car is ready to be picked up" notification from the app.

The upgrade itself didn't take 100% and I had to take it back to have the software "reinstalled". I think this is one of those things I could have done going into service mode but I didn't realize it at the time. I didn't have Karaoke (didn't care but wanted what I paid for), and there were some games and features missing. It was almost as if they loaded a version of the software that wasn't specifically for my car. In any event, it got fixed ... sorta (more on that below).

The Awesome: The new MCU is fast. I mean really fast. The screen is buttery smooth and navigation speed is WAY faster. Prior to the upgrade, the screen was skippy and laggy. Navigating from Nor Cal to Disneyland took about 25 seconds to fully load and the route selection was not always ideal. After, it takes about 8 seconds to do the same task.

I now get firmware updates again and new features are still populating. I love that I can now view Dashcam/Sentry footage from the main screen without having to disconnect the HDD and plug into computer! The driver dash console has updated animations for traffic lights, road signs, construction cones, cars, people, bikes! It's eye candy-ish but still cool.

When I reverse, the two front fender cameras activate to aid in parking. That was a cool add! I also got the "green light chime" when sitting at a stop light. That's a neat feature.

Voice dictation works now. It sorta worked before but it struggled with basic things like "Call [wife name]". It would take several attemps to get accuracy before. Now it's near perfect and I can send voice text messages very reliably.

I'm a gamer so all the extra video games are pretty cool. When I charge, I can now play all the cool new games. Prior to the upgrade, the game experience was terrible. Now there are new games and they all actually work!

The Meh: At first, Disney+ would not play videos. It has since been fixed but I don't know when or why. I could login but videos were just black screens. No audio or video.

Spotify broke. I can play A song, but can't play a "song radio". After the first song ends, Spotify tries to keep playing the first but it just skipping/looping the first 2 seconds of the song that just played until it gives up. Typing every song I want to hear while driving sucks. Dunno if that's Tesla's software or Spotify's but I'm switching to Tidal because of this. Crossing fingers.

EMMC Recall - I kinda feel like Tesla got away with one on me. I paid to upgrade to MCU2 which fixed the "recall issue" they had. They would have had to fix an issue they had but because I upgraded, I fixed the problem for them. I would have liked to have been credited something for that but whatever. I'll get over it in like 2 years.

Cost - was it really worth it? For me yes but it was hard to choke down. I plan to keep the car for a while longer because I'm grandfathered into FUSC. Say what you will about the value but it's a hard perk to give up.

There's more to say I'm sure but these are the highlights. Your mileage may vary.

8508700496_6928a3822b_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I recently upgraded a 2015 Model S and 2016 Model X to MCU2. Totally worth it. Quicker response, added functionality, and didn't break anything. Bizarrely, I feel it actually improved some characteristics of driving with my Model S (P85D). Possibly placebo but I feel that it improved Regen and even put a little pep into the acceleration that had seemingly been lacking I felt due to battery degradation.
I have a 2015 MS 85D and considering the MCU2 upgrade. After upgrading to the MCU2 and the latest software, is there any improvements in supercharging? I know the MCU has nothing to do with SC but Tesla did throttle back the SC after a certain SW update. Did the newer SW increased that? Thank you.

I have a 2015 MS 85D and considering the MCU2 upgrade. After upgrading to the MCU2 and the latest software, is there any improvements in supercharging? I know the MCU has nothing to do with SC but Tesla did throttle back the SC after a certain SW update. Did the newer SW increased that? Thank you.
No noticeable difference with supercharging that I can see. Sorry.

Reactions: Ching38
Just want to add that I also just upgraded to the Intel infotainment on my 2017 2.5 S, and wow what a difference. They also upgraded my firmware from a very old 2022.8.10 to 2023.20.8 and finally got to see new features like Apple Music integrated and other things OP mentioned. Then last week I got upgraded to 20.9 and now have full screen FSD, and its performance and visuals are just leaps and bounds over what I've had for years. Finally it takes turns on its own, takes off from stops, handles a roundabout that it always choked on, etc. I'm sure it has issues, but it's an entirely different experience.

Maybe someone can tell me if I ever would have been able to experience FSD like this had I not upgraded. The Stats app shows 67% of current non-FSD S cars have that old 2022.8.10, but only 0.1% of FSD S cars have that same old version.

Anyway after seeing how it now performs, I'm much more inclined to take the plunge and buy FSD on a Cybertruck.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
I have a 2015 S P90D, it would have the AP1 correct? Would it be upgradeable to the AP2 or AP2.5 along with upgrading to MCU2?
No.

Lots of cameras with AP2 and above. Just the one forward looking one by the rearview mirror for our cars. Mine gets confused on hilly roads where the optical illusion makes it look like the left lane line is moving right when it's just disappearing over the hill. But it is called "Highway Autopilot" for a reason and it excels there.

Did they mention anything about a camera hardware upgrade? I have AP 2.0 and I heard they may also do a camera upgrade when they install the AP 3.0 computer. Wasn't sure if they did that hardware upgrade to yours since you already had AP 2.5 previously.

In the past, free camera upgrades were only done for those who bought the FSD option. Unless that policy has changed I doubt they will do the camera upgrade unless you bought FSD.

I bought the MCU2 upgrade because my instrument cluster was failing and the upgrade made economic sense @ 1750 with instrument cluster panel only @ 1350. I sprang for the FM tuner for another 500, so my total was 2250 for the whole package, plus tax. It took 2 days to turn around, but clearly they were diligent because they finished after 7 PM on a Friday. Received my pickup notice at 7:45 PM. Reactivated passive entry; I like it & am not concerned about someone picking up my FOB signal at my home or on me. Had to resetup WIFI and bluetooth, but not terrible issues.
My car is a fully loaded 2017 Model S 100D with 58K miles. I plan to keep running it a LONG time. It is clearly in much better mechanical shape than any ICE I have had at this age; has only needed tires and one of two charging units (inverters) replaced. Consequently, I think the economics of the MCU2 upgrade work.

I did the MCu2 upgrade from Tesla. No cost to me from them. But I feel like it's a total joke and scam. There is no significant difference on the screen. Infact, after about a week or so of driving, upon start up my screen freezes for like 30 seconds or more. This is every time. If I do the hard re-start then it works well for about a week till it starts to freeze again.

I bought the MCU2 upgrade because my instrument cluster was failing and the upgrade made economic sense @ 1750 with instrument cluster panel only @ 1350. I sprang for the FM tuner for another 500, so my total was 2250 for the whole package, plus tax. It took 2 days to turn around, but clearly they were diligent because they finished after 7 PM on a Friday. Received my pickup notice at 7:45 PM. Reactivated passive entry; I like it & am not concerned about someone picking up my FOB signal at my home or on me. Had to resetup WIFI and bluetooth, but not terrible issues.
My car is a fully loaded 2017 Model S 100D with 58K miles. I plan to keep running it a LONG time. It is clearly in much better mechanical shape than any ICE I have had at this age; has only needed tires and one of two charging units (inverters) replaced. Consequently, I think the economics of the MCU2 upgrade work.
Good decision to keep it a long time. Consumer Reports ranks 2017 as one of most reliable years for the Model S.

This wouldn’t be worth it to me unless I was always at superchargers. The loss of fm is lame and as you said the Emmc upgrade as part of the recall made my screen much faster. I may have had some screen freezes before the memory was replaced but now it seldom freezes and the gps is smooth.

Reactions: aesculus