Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience upgrading to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a post to give my experience upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2.

My car prior to upgrade: 2017 Refresh Model S, MCU1, AP2.5, Sunroof, Sirius XM, AM/FM, LTE, FUSC, WiFi 2.4GHz, Free Premium Connectivity, EMMC Recall active, Autopilot (not FSD)

My car Post Upgrade: Still 2017 Refresh Model S, MCU2, AP3.0, Sunroof, FUSC, WiFi 5GHz, Free Premium Connectivity, EMMC Recall fixed, Autopilot - I didn't pay extra for FM radio or Sirius (AM not an option)

Cost: $2,250.00 🤢 but worth it.

TL;DR - Worth it - YES, if you're keeping the car for more than 2 more years. Much faster screen response with new animations in the driver dash screen. Cool new adds like: green light chime, Sentry/DashCam viewer, two new reverse cameras and firmware updates again! But the experience wasn't perfect. Tesla could have plus'd up the purchase expereience. Some apps broke or didn't work till later (Spotify/Disney+) and I feel like Tesla got away with an EMMC recall upgrade on my dollar.

Experience:
First, the experience itself is farily lack luster from Tesla. Totally worth it but when I spend $2,250 on an upgrade, I kinda expected a "tour of the new system" so to speak. "Congratulations on your MCU upgrade! Here are all the cool new things you can do with it!" All I got was a "your car is ready to be picked up" notification from the app.

The upgrade itself didn't take 100% and I had to take it back to have the software "reinstalled". I think this is one of those things I could have done going into service mode but I didn't realize it at the time. I didn't have Karaoke (didn't care but wanted what I paid for), and there were some games and features missing. It was almost as if they loaded a version of the software that wasn't specifically for my car. In any event, it got fixed ... sorta (more on that below).

The Awesome: The new MCU is fast. I mean really fast. The screen is buttery smooth and navigation speed is WAY faster. Prior to the upgrade, the screen was skippy and laggy. Navigating from Nor Cal to Disneyland took about 25 seconds to fully load and the route selection was not always ideal. After, it takes about 8 seconds to do the same task.

I now get firmware updates again and new features are still populating. I love that I can now view Dashcam/Sentry footage from the main screen without having to disconnect the HDD and plug into computer! The driver dash console has updated animations for traffic lights, road signs, construction cones, cars, people, bikes! It's eye candy-ish but still cool.

When I reverse, the two front fender cameras activate to aid in parking. That was a cool add! I also got the "green light chime" when sitting at a stop light. That's a neat feature.

Voice dictation works now. It sorta worked before but it struggled with basic things like "Call [wife name]". It would take several attemps to get accuracy before. Now it's near perfect and I can send voice text messages very reliably.

I'm a gamer so all the extra video games are pretty cool. When I charge, I can now play all the cool new games. Prior to the upgrade, the game experience was terrible. Now there are new games and they all actually work!

The Meh: At first, Disney+ would not play videos. It has since been fixed but I don't know when or why. I could login but videos were just black screens. No audio or video.

Spotify broke. I can play A song, but can't play a "song radio". After the first song ends, Spotify tries to keep playing the first but it just skipping/looping the first 2 seconds of the song that just played until it gives up. Typing every song I want to hear while driving sucks. Dunno if that's Tesla's software or Spotify's but I'm switching to Tidal because of this. Crossing fingers.

EMMC Recall - I kinda feel like Tesla got away with one on me. I paid to upgrade to MCU2 which fixed the "recall issue" they had. They would have had to fix an issue they had but because I upgraded, I fixed the problem for them. I would have liked to have been credited something for that but whatever. I'll get over it in like 2 years.

Cost - was it really worth it? For me yes but it was hard to choke down. I plan to keep the car for a while longer because I'm grandfathered into FUSC. Say what you will about the value but it's a hard perk to give up.

There's more to say I'm sure but these are the highlights. Your mileage may vary.

8508700496_6928a3822b_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Thanks for this write up! I'm in the market for a ~2017ish MS and was not really concerned with the MCU 2 upgrade. I had a 2013 MS a few years back and sold it right when the MCU2 came out and I never really cared for all the little things like streaming movies or video games, but with all the details you mentioned here about the reverse cameras, chimes, etc, that is actually pretty cool. So now I think I may keep an eye out for a MS that has the MCU2 upgrade already. Thanks for taking the time to write this up and give us all the details/context. very helpful!

Thanks for this write up! I'm in the market for a ~2017ish MS and was not really concerned with the MCU 2 upgrade. I had a 2013 MS a few years back and sold it right when the MCU2 came out and I never really cared for all the little things like streaming movies or video games, but with all the details you mentioned here about the reverse cameras, chimes, etc, that is actually pretty cool. So now I think I may keep an eye out for a MS that has the MCU2 upgrade already. Thanks for taking the time to write this up and give us all the details/context. very helpful!

I would just try to find a 2017 MS you like and then factor in the MCU2 upgrade cost into it. You might be able to talk the selling price down since some of the screens might be bubbling/leaking already.

Reactions: r0bgj
I recently upgraded a 2015 Model S and 2016 Model X to MCU2. Totally worth it. Quicker response, added functionality, and didn't break anything. Bizarrely, I feel it actually improved some characteristics of driving with my Model S (P85D). Possibly placebo but I feel that it improved Regen and even put a little pep into the acceleration that had seemingly been lacking I felt due to battery degradation.

I recently upgraded a 2015 Model S and 2016 Model X to MCU2. Totally worth it. Quicker response, added functionality, and didn't break anything. Bizarrely, I feel it actually improved some characteristics of driving with my Model S (P85D). Possibly placebo but I feel that it improved Regen and even put a little pep into the acceleration that had seemingly been lacking I felt due to battery degradation.
Was your 2016X a non camera one? IE no side cameras.

I'll be honest, I paid for MCU2 on my 2014 P85+ and P90DL MX Sig. Having it on my Model S was great. But then I rented a Model Y from Hertz. Drving for 6months with MCU2 on an old car wasn't for me so I sold it and bought a new MYLR. The new owner now gets a MCu2 w/XM and 110,000 miles on a battery and 40k on a DU. Good luck to her

AP uses a different computer - no change with MCU2.
Is that true? I don't know the answer 100% but the Infotainment upgrade did upgrade my AP computer from 2.5 to 3.0. So it's plausable that the AP experience could improve. I can't say that it did or didn't honestly. AP had way too many phantom braking issues for me to use regularly. I did use it but usually in bumper to bumper traffic or long freeway routes that I was very familiar with. And I didn't drive much during Covid to test the difference between FW updates.

Couple of extra things I remembered after posting this topic:

Experience: Like many others (and this may be specific to my 2017/MCU1/AP2.5 build), if you ask Tesla "will the Infotainment upgrade come with AP3.0", the likely answer you will receive is "No". That is also 100% false but again, this is specific to my build.

I had to go back and forth in the app and actually ask someone to call me, which they did, to get a straight answer. After a bit of back and forth on the phone, the tech said "oh yeah you do get AP3.0, sorry". I can also confirm, that I only paid the $2250 for Infotainment and never had to pay the $1000 AP3.0 cost that some of the other threads are discussing.

Gaming: As I mention, I'm a gamer so the games to me (and my kids) are fun. I keep two older PS4 remotes in the car at all times and my kids and I connect to the USB ports to play. Wireless is a no go though...only USB connected remotes work.

Birdseye View - nope: I was hoping this would be added but it was not a feature my car could support.

WiFi 5GHz: I mention this in the summary above but it didn't really stand out. You will get access to 5GHz WiFi. Does it matter? Not really but you get it.

Browser: Browser actually works!!! Is it great? Stil no. But it does work.

If I remember any other things, I'll keep posting. Glad you all are enjoying this.