Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After checking TMC and seeing some had received 4.2, I went to the garage and sure enough the 'update' available was showing :) I chose 'install now' and the while process took about 20 minutes. So far so good.

I'm excited about "improved windshield wipers".... maybe we won't get drenched when getting into a wet car! And it makes sense that backing out the 'sleep displays' is a good short term move. I will happily feed the vampires to keep the bugs away. At least for a month or two until Tesla makes that feature reliable and restores it.

Just installed the update. Took about 20 minutes. The sunroof opened perfectly without the double click problem. Guess I'll have to wait until it rains again to see if the wipers are improved. We'll have to see if the non-sleep mode fixes the connection problem with the phone app.

I get my car in 9 days and have a question about these updates. Someone mentioned having to obsessively check to see if one was available. Does this mean that there is no function built into the OS to manually check for updates? If I am understanding this correctly, you cannot tell the car to check for updates, you just have to wait and hope it gets pushed out to you?

That seems pretty, um, crappy.

Because if you know there is an update and have a good time to do it, then have a bunch of days with no good time to do it, Murphy's Law would dictate that it will come at the beginning of the days where you cannot do it and you will have to wait longer. I would hope they would add a manual check for update feature in an update soon if it is not available.

Since the invention of the internet I cannot recall an OS that lacked this feature, but I guess in reality it wasn't THAT many moons ago....

Thanks again to all who got their cars before me spilling the beans on every little thing about this car. Will make taking ownership of my first BEV (I've not even owned a hybrid yet) much smoother.

Cheers

I get my car in 9 days and have a question about these updates. Someone mentioned having to obsessively check to see if one was available. Does this mean that there is no function built into the OS to manually check for updates? If I am understanding this correctly, you cannot tell the car to check for updates, you just have to wait and hope it gets pushed out to you?

They mean checking for updates that the car has automatically grabbed from the sky.

The update roll outs are random and put out over a period of time. A lot of people will feverishly check to see if their car has picked up the auto update so they can install it right away.

I did this during the first bit of Android. If I knew an update was out there I would look at my screen every couple of minutes to see if my phone had picked it up yet.

When you are talking about them not including sleep mode in this update is that the same as the setting to not let the screens go to sleep (stay powered ON)? If so, the warning given if you try to set to keep the screens powered ON says that this can adversely affect the main battery over time and also reduce the life of the 12V battery. Is it ok to still do this???

I suspect they turned the sleep mode off because the screens occasionally fail to come up properly, even on a reboot.

I've been noticing that my glitches have been getting progressively more frequent recently. Makes me wonder if there is something else that need rebooting...

They mean checking for updates that the car has automatically grabbed from the sky.

The update roll outs are random and put out over a period of time. A lot of people will feverishly check to see if their car has picked up the auto update so they can install it right away.

I did this during the first bit of Android. If I knew an update was out there I would look at my screen every couple of minutes to see if my phone had picked it up yet.

That's what I was afraid of.

I know that if you have an underpowered server then this can help with server load but drives me crazy.

Thanks for confirming.

Cheers.

That's what I was afraid of.

I know that if you have an underpowered server then this can help with server load but drives me crazy.

Thanks for confirming.

Cheers.

You do this more for QA than for server loading. You don't want to push out an update to everyone at once only to find some bugs (4.1 ehemm) and have everyone complain. Think of the roll out as a post-beta release.

Server loading is also an issue, but I am guessing these files are not really big enough, and there aren't enough cars, to crash a server at this point.

That seems pretty, um, crappy.

Not at all, it is a very controlled and measured way to do it and far better than simply blasting it out to the entire world at once.
This isn't you PC, it is far more important that Tesla tightly control and monitor the firmware updates. Even after their internal testing, unforeseen issues can crop up.

As for convenience, you can schedule the update for any time you want it to update. So I see o issue with convenience. I have found it seemless.

Given the number of issues that cropped up with 4.1 I wouldn't be surprised to see 4.2 rolled out those cars first. Ours came from the factory with 4.0 even after 4.1 had been out for a bit, so it seems likely they're trying to address a problematic release at the moment. It's not in my nature, but I'll endeavor to be patient. At least until the iOS app is available or I see confirmation of an update that offers scheduled charging!

When you are talking about them not including sleep mode in this update is that the same as the setting to not let the screens go to sleep (stay powered ON)? If so, the warning given if you try to set to keep the screens powered ON says that this can adversely affect the main battery over time and also reduce the life of the 12V battery. Is it ok to still do this???

They've completely removed the sleep mode option from the settings screen. So yes, I guess it is using more 12V and main battery power but I will make the system more stable. As an IT guy, one of the first things we do when setting up new computers for people is turn OFF the sleep mode function on desktops as it inevitably causes more problems than it is worth. I think Tesla is finding this to be true.

It might be due to the fact the car isn't asleep but the iPhone app connects in seconds now instead of a minute or two. Much better.

I was informed it was a bug when the car went to sleep. I noticed the quick connections too.

- - - Updated - - -

The iPhone app????

Release is imminent. I've been given permission by the product manager to show off the app functionality publicly at the St. Louis Auto Show next weekend with the caveat that it a) is still in beta and b) release is planned within the next few weeks.