Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the car for about a month now, and I think 4.2 is pretty solid. I've noticed some quirks with the car, and I'm not sure which ones are mechanical or software; I suspect many are software.

1. Floating backup camera. I still get this once or twice per week. Resetting fixes this temporarily.
2. Browser is very slow and crashes. Resetting fixes this until the next crash.
3. Car not using shore power while preheating the car. I always start my day with reduced range, even when it is plugged in.
4. Left front passenger door unlocked and opened while slowing down at a stop light last week. Tesla Chicago said they would replace the handle.
5. Poor window seals. Even as much as 3d go by and still the window is wet after rolling down (not a software issue)
6. Phone contact pops up (on the console) when a call comes in, but after answering it, the dialer and contact information disappears in favor of what was previously there. This has happened once to me; usually the dialer and contact info stays in the window.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any real software problems with 4.2 that impair function or enjoyment of the car. I've contacted ownership about all these issues, and I will have Chicago service take a look once I go in for the door handle exchange.

Kevin, regarding #3, my understanding and experience is that there's no such thing as using "shore" power for systems, just charging the battery, which in turn powers the systems. Charging continues until "normal" or "range" max is reached, and then stops. Charging does not re-start until battery drains quite a bit, maybe 10% - it takes gulps, not sips. So, if you only use a couple dozen miles during a day, and are charging on "normal" to about 240 rated in the evening (as I usually do), you are done charging by 8 pm. Any power used for maintaining any systems overnight drains the batteries until it hits whatever threshold restarts charging. I sometimes see it as low as 227 rated when I start the car in the AM. So, if this is what you are seeing, I do not believe it is a bug, but the way the charging software is designed to work. One way to address this is to change the charging rate to maybe 10 or 15 amps, causing nightly charging to go longer, resulting in more charge in the AM. If I'm right about how this works, it would be a major software (and maybe hardware) change to use "shore" power for the systems.

Glad to see another chicagoan out there - I'll be looking for your (blue?) car on the streets!