Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMF Debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all

Currently involved in a heated debate with an EV hater, about the subject of EMF in EVs.

All started with the video doing the rounds of an LPG conversion car exploding in Korea, which some morons decided to say was an EV!

This has then led onto “but EVs are exploding” and “what about the dangerous levels of EMF? Aren’t you worried about your kids!”

I’ve tried to source the most credible studies online, most of which are being dismissed by the opposition. I’ve tried telling this person, that there’s no way these cars would pass safety standards for the U.K. but again, falling on deaf ears.

I need reinforcements.

What exactly does he think EMF is and how does it have an effect on the human body? Damage is created by very high power transmitters of a radio waves, a car isn't a transmitter, so it really doesn't produce anything significant. Certainly far less than a mobile phone that doing it intentionally and has been studied and show to be safe while located next to your head and groin.

ICE cars still have lots of electrical components, batteries, alternators, etc. Why would an EV be more emitting than a regular car anyway.

I wouldn't waste your time, you won't win with logic where there is none. An idiot will drag you down to their level, then beat you based on greater experience.

What exactly does he think EMF is and how does it have an effect on the human body? Damage is created by very high power transmitters of a radio waves, a car isn't a transmitter, so it really doesn't produce anything significant. Certainly far less than a mobile phone that doing it intentionally and has been studied and show to be safe while located next to your head and groin.

ICE cars still have lots of electrical components, batteries, alternators, etc. Why would an EV be more emitting than a regular car anyway.

I wouldn't waste your time, you won't win with logic where there is none. An idiot will drag you down to their level, then beat you based on greater experience.
Mate honest, this has gone on for 48 hours now back and forth. I’ve explained how we live in a world where total escape from RF, EMF, ELF, etc is nigh on impossible. I’ve also explained to said idiot, that ICE cars omit frequencies too, again falling on deaf ears. I’ve pulled multiple articles from the net, most of not all by accredited science labs and consultants with PHDs etc but again, they won’t have it.

Actually had the nerve to try to tel me I’m a govt sheep for having an EV!

Assume we are talking about Electro Magnetic Fields?

Of course there will be EMF present as all electric motors produce it - and indeed rely on it to actually spin up.

EMF over the years has produced debate on the effects of humans health - remember the mobile phones - they will heat your brain up? but just look how we all rely on it for everyday stuff - none of us can avoid it.

Power lines - national grid, The turbine generators of wind and water electrical production, radar, CT and MRI scanners (Big spinning electrical motors and with MRI the imaging is produced by magnetic radiation)
Its like water - we all use it everyday and its needed for life - but you can drown in it.

If someone is anti anything they will always reject any comment that supports it - and usually with data to back it up - however all statistics can be manipulated to support or reject a proposal or statement.

25% of all serious road accidents involve drunk drivers - so - safer to drive drunk because 75% of sober drivers are responsible for the rest

It's pointless arguing with confirmed EV haters. It's the same scenario as arguing politics - people have their own beliefs and usually seek out stories which will reinforce them and vehemently deny anything that opposes them (confirmation bias). Also, again as in politics, there is little interest in facts and truths. Add in to this the fact that some people are as thick as two short planks and you're definitely backing a loser in trying to argue!

If there was going to be any health consequences from EMI/EMF we'd have seen it, we've been bathed in the stuff for decades. Radio 1 transmits at about 50kw.. puts your tiny wifi router in its place :p

The same people objecting will happily expose themselves to the sun which is a massive EMF generator (powerful enough to *actually* cause health issues from over exposure).

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Mate honest, this has gone on for 48 hours now back and forth. I’ve explained how we live in a world where total escape from RF, EMF, ELF, etc is nigh on impossible. I’ve also explained to said idiot, that ICE cars omit frequencies too, again falling on deaf ears. I’ve pulled multiple articles from the net, most of not all by accredited science labs and consultants with PHDs etc but again, they won’t have it.

there is a thing called trolley bus. it is operating in many countries. it has massive electric motors (compared to tesla).
Ask him what happens to the trolleybus driver after 40 years of driving that thing?

Tell them cars with a front motor are especially dangerous as we're driving into the flux that's just been created by the motor. Thats why so many EVs are rear wheel drive.

And we all get given a chain mail suit to wear when in our EVs, and an extra codpiece to protect the crown jewels

In otherwords, forget trying to reason, just add more ridicule to their argument.

The best advice I can give you is to get more of your own time back and say adios to the idiot.

duty_calls.png

as soon as they play the government sheep/conspiracy bull just walk away. There is no arguing they'll just move the goalposts or gaslight you.

I don’t think you do.

It’s not a rational, informed position they hold, so you’re not going to cure their mental malaise with rationality or information. Best move on, and be thankful that it’s one more conspiracy theorist who won’t be taking up a charging stall when you might need it.

Yes, this is at the level of flat earthers ... there's no hope of convincing them no matter the quality of the argument.

Edit: But if you want to throw a spanner in the works regarding EV versus other stuff ... just for fun how about starter motors in other types of car? And petrol/gasoline engines constantly firing 20,000 + volts into their spark plugs? (I wouldn't fancy using a starting handle to get a diesel engine going in the morning ...)

Last edited: