Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate Dan O'Dowd as much as the next person, but this is a solid point in response to Chuck:

"If you were developing a Full Self-Driving car, would you teach it ‘Do Not Enter’ and ‘Road Closed’ signs and stopping for school buses before of after you ship it to 400,000 customers?"

How difficult would it have been in V10 or V11 to train FSD about school zones, school bus stops, or do not enter signs?

They ignored it and said, "It's Beta, pay attention"...and I always have, but it's an easy point to attack and the bus stops were an easy programming task. Tesla just didn't see it as important.

Hopefully V12 can solve it, but I doubt it was early behavior trained. Hopefully, I'm incorrect.

I hate Dan O'Dowd as much as the next person, but this is a solid point in response to Chuck:

"If you were developing a Full Self-Driving car, would you teach it ‘Do Not Enter’ and ‘Road Closed’ signs and stopping for school buses before of after you ship it to 400,000 customers?"

How difficult would it have been in V10 or V11 to train FSD about school zones, school bus stops, or do not enter signs?

They ignored it and said, "It's Beta, pay attention"...and I always have, but it's an easy point to attack and the bus stops were an easy programming task. Tesla just didn't see it as important.

Hopefully V12 can solve it, but I doubt it was early behavior trained. Hopefully, I'm incorrect.
Then they'd be removing 600,000 lines of code instead of 300,000.

Then they'd be removing 600,000 lines of code instead of 300,000.
Irrelevant exaggeration, but thanks.

Seriously, they release it to the public and have put 0 effort into School Zones and School Bus stops. The car will literally try to go around a School Bus stopped.

For a company that gets *sugar* on with negative press, that was a misstep. We testers just say that it's Beta and you should be paying attention, but as we see with accidents, many do not. There are drivers who treat FSD as a finished product. We call them dumb, but dumb people with cash to afford FSD are plentiful.

Yep, it sounds like Elon is going to prioritize saving western civilization over Chuck’s UPL. This is disappointing.
It's fair to not enjoy Elon pushing his political flavor. It's fair to criticize it, but it's healthier to ignore it.

I don't care about Elon's more extremist views any more than I do Trump, Biden, or anyone. Everyone has views that can be seen as an extreme, some have views that skew to both extremes of the political spectrum,

Engaging in it doesn't change anything, nor would arguing the merits of it on a message board or X. If they are publicly broadcasting it, they are likely locked in or looking for a fight. This may sound political, but my point is...who cares...where's V12?

Reactions: DanCar
Yep, it sounds like Elon is going to prioritize saving western civilization over Chuck’s UPL. This is disappointing.
Ah I see your concern now. The full power of the NVDA processing may be turned towards averting civilizational collapse.

Perhaps it will be me who enjoys the delicious beverage again.

It’s on days like today that we can be grateful to have people like Elon Musk looking out for us.

Irrelevant exaggeration, but thanks.

Seriously, they release it to the public and have put 0 effort into School Zones and School Bus stops. The car will literally try to go around a School Bus stopped.

For a company that gets *sugar* on with negative press, that was a misstep. We testers just say that it's Beta and you should be paying attention, but as we see with accidents, many do not. There are drivers who treat FSD as a finished product. We call them dumb, but dumb people with cash to afford FSD are plentiful.
I'd say regulatory signage like that is way out of scope, if the bar was you have to follow all the regulations they would never ship anything, they'd have realized $0 from FSD going into 2024. FSD Beta is basically "Autosteer for city streets", that's how it's sold on their web page. It tries to solve the basic problem of driving through cities with complex intersections and taking any turns/forks to follow the nav route. The priority needs to be on basic safety, not following every possible regulation you can think of. Basically it needs to drive everywhere the roads take you while not crashing into VRUs/pedestrians, cars, and static obstacles. If it speeds through a school zone then the driver gets a ticket, it's on them for letting it do that.

I'd say regulatory signage like that is way out of scope, if the bar was you have to follow all the regulations they would never ship anything, they'd have realized $0 from FSD going into 2024.
This is incorrect.

Didn't even read the rest after this.

They recognized $1 billion of FSD Money January 25th, 2023 that was held from 2016 to present. They announced this.

edit: The shareholder presentation says $324 million for Q1. There was a filed earnings Press Release with the SEC that recognized $472 million on December 31, 2022.

Last edited:
I can only imagine what Elon was talking about but sounds like Chuck won't be getting a xmas card.

View attachment 1016386
I have to say...Cook is talking a load of nonsense...you can’t say I love what you are doing at Tesla but not your motivation...which is to prevent climate change. And I love what you are doing at Space X...but hate your motivation which is to save mankind from WWlll....sure Elon has got a bit bothersome since discovering Twitter....but he’s not trying to save the planet with politics but demonstrating that it has to be done by engineers

I have to say...Cook is talking a load of nonsense...you can’t say I love what you are doing at Tesla but not your motivation...which is to prevent climate change. And I love what you are doing at Space X...but hate your motivation which is to save mankind from WWlll....sure Elon has got a bit bothersome since discovering Twitter....but he’s not trying to save the planet with politics but demonstrating that it has to be done by engineers

I mean- you can though.

Like you can say you love what Henry Ford did for mass production or recognizing factory workers need fair pay... but still hate the fact he was receiving awards from Nazis and publishing antisemitic newspaper stories.

BTW- Elon has backed WAY off his original environmental stances from years ago and repeatedly DOWNPLAYED global warming-

Elon Musk said:
Global warming risk is overblown in the short term, but significant in the long term
Which is contrary to virtually all climate scienists opinions on it.

He doubles down on any immediacy with

Elon Musk said:
We should not demonise oil and gas in the medium term

Not the first time he's made clear he doesn't actually understand the science on the topic very well-
Elon Musk said:
what happens on Earth's surface (eg farming) has no meaningful impact on climate change
or
Elon Musk said:
climate change definitely will not end the world as we know it.
Then there's-
Elon Musk said:
population collapse due to low birth rates is a much bigger risk to civilization than global warming

This is of outright factually untrue-- and adding the context of his "western civilization" quotes it's clear he means certain low birth rates- because the overall rate is quite high- it's just not the kind of births he's a fan of.

Recently on Rogan he'd say environmentalists had gone too far-
Elon Musk said:
If you start thinking that humans are bad then the natural conclusion is humans should die out

Cook is not talking nonsense. He is just not a sycophant.

Do you know what actually prevents climate change? Progressive policies and laws that regulate massive businesses and promote EV growth. Do you know what stops world wars? Progressive policies that foster international relationships. Do you know what policies Elon Musk promotes? I'll give you a hint, not progressive policies.

PS. The man is a billionaire who spends his money on proxy wars with other corporations by funding legal battles against Disney because they stopped advertising on his failing social media platform.

Approximately April is when nVidia h200s become available. That should ease the supply shortage. Certainly h100s won't be in short supply once h200s are available in ample quantities.
Just wonder what the failure of the Dojo system was. Since it seems that it can't be fixed and Elon is so pessimistic does it seem that the chip's architecture was flawed or at least poorly designed for the tasks?

Reactions: boonedocks