Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Infinities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
There's a lot of chatter recently about Infiniti launching a range extender sports car. Maybe there are two vehicles in the works?

Infiniti teases 2012 hybrid concept - Latest car stories - MSN Cars UK

1454C22B783F9BCA94A492B4CFA9.jpg

The new car from Nissan’s luxury performance brand will be a range extender hybrid, similar to the Chevrolet Volt/Vauxhall Ampera, and will feature a 1.2-litre combustion engine acting as an onboard generator to power the battery pack and electric motor, rather than drive the wheels.

While I personally strongly prefer the BEV approach, this "range extender hybrid" (serial) approach makes far more sense to me than the parallel approach used in most cars. An ICE that has a single, simple purpose--to charge a battery--should be able to be simpler, and tuned more precisely to cause less pollution, than having an entirely separate ICE drivetrain. The REH also focuses development dollars on improvements to the electric motor, regenerative technologies, etc., and familiarizes people with plug-in vehicles. Think of it as (very expensive) training wheels on the road to BEV.

While I personally strongly prefer the BEV approach, this "range extender hybrid" (serial) approach makes far more sense to me than the parallel approach used in most cars. An ICE that has a single, simple purpose--to charge a battery--should be able to be simpler, and tuned more precisely to cause less pollution, than having an entirely separate ICE drivetrain. The REH also focuses development dollars on improvements to the electric motor, regenerative technologies, etc., and familiarizes people with plug-in vehicles. Think of it as (very expensive) training wheels on the road to BEV.
Only BMW i-3 is thinking about this.

The basic problem is one of battery capacity. To be able to drive exclusively on a battery you need a large battery (in terms of power, if not energy capacity) - and that costs a lot. Then you add the genset etc - it is getting to be too costly for the mainstream.

The other approach to this - like the PIP or the Energi - is to think how best to make a plugin that has the maximum impact on gas usage for a small amount of extra $. A small battery with low power that can drive in EV mode in the city may be the answer. We will know if this works in reality when Ford prices Energi.

An ICE that has a single, simple purpose--to charge a battery--should be able to be simpler, and tuned more precisely to cause less pollution, than having an entirely separate ICE drivetrain.
Except that GM found using the ICE to drive the wheels directly at times to be a more efficient setup. I agree that the simplicity in having the ICE a generator only would seem better, probably using a different type of engine though.

There's a stark contrast between this Nissan "reveal" (hey, the marketing guys came up with a name, and we have some primitive graphics that kinda sorta look like something we probably won't build ever) and the Tesla Model X "reveal" (come along for a ride! That was fun. What color would you like?).