Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Infinities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a general statement that the voltage requirements of an EV can be met by different battery technologies. There may be differences in performance with a different pack but should be close to original. Since this would likely happen a number of years in the future chances are performance would improve.

Actually there are a number of options available these days for batteries. Not that I'd want Nissan to take their pack away, but if they did it could be replaced with something else.
There are still ways to impede third party batteries if their intentions really were sinister. So far only licensed dealerships can get into the firmware of cars and legislation intended to allow third party garages to also service the firmware has failed to pass. Unless the battery was a direct replacement with the same specs, you can't do whatever software tweaks necessary to get the onboard charger and power electronics to work correctly with your pack. And even if it was a direct replacement, they can have the computer identify if a battery is OEM.

Of course a hobbyist like you can put in your own charger and controller if it ever gets to that point, but most people won't go to that length.

However, if a manufacturer is putting the car up for sale, I don't think they will repeat the whole EV1 thing again, so this is all theoretical. But it is still unclear if they will allow third party batteries and/or if a third party battery market will pop up.

Batteries that would be interchangeable or replaceable with a third party unit might offer short term benefits but I doubt there will be any offerings that fit everything, at least in the foreseeable future. Every vehicle will have a different (mostly) setup and cooling system.

What I think would be a better idea would be a program similar to Zipcar for batteries. Where you might not "own" the battery but you can use and exchange a new one as needed, if you plan on going on a trip take a larger capacity unit.....Today the battery is still ~900lbs and costs more than a Prius so that is a little far off.

I would imagine once the first run of batteries are replaced there will be enough to "rebuild" and basically create a new battery, so it will take a few years and how each company deals with this will determine the long term success of mass market EVs. I know that with typical hybrids the company tends to require the core, for every unit they sell and in most cases the car has be able to recognize the battery. I know that that holds true if most computers on the LAN network are replaced in Nissans at least.

Essensish
1-infiniti-essence.jpg

Mazda Shinari has some resemblance too.
6a00d83451b3c669e20133f3edd26f970b-800wi

Old article predicting what might be coming:

2014 Infiniti Electric Sedan - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
What it is: A sleek luxury sedan designed as a dedicated EV.
Why it matters: If EVs become a success, Infiniti will—for the first time—be a leader. The other luxury brands, after all, only make hybrids.
Platform: The Infiniti will be built off the Nissan Leaf.
Powertrain: The Nissan Leaf motor, likely tuned to make between 130 and 150 horsepower, powered by lithium-ion batteries, driving the front wheels through a single-speed transaxle. The range should be better than the Leaf’s real-world 80 miles.
Competition: Fisker Nina and Tesla Model S (if they are ever produced).
What might go wrong: The Infiniti EV will be a good-looking, well-appointed sedan, but the question remains whether more than a few customers will be ready to put up with a diminutive range, long charging hours, mediocre performance, and a huge price premium.
Estimated arrival and price: Mid-2013, more than $40,000.
2014-infiniti-electric-sedan-inline-1.jpg

----
(Sometimes I think the artists doing renderings for car magazines ought to be the ones designing the cars!)

Last edited:
Cross posting something seen today on MNL:

PaulScott

I was contacted to find some EV drivers who were in the market for a luxury EV to participate in a focus group. Three of my customers got in. It turns out the focus group was for the Infinity. Here's what one of them said:

"Mid-size sedan-like (not as spacious as you'd think), has same wheel base as the Leaf, leather interior, on board infinity operator calling, not flashy, looks like a regular car (they intended for it to blend in as opposed to standing out). Their target price is 49.9k

I didn't think it was that great. Model S will likely blow it out of the water."