Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Cybertruck Will Feel Dated By the Time it Comes Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford has produced a winner....for those who are used to and want a traditional truck, abeit with electric drive.

Tesla will be releasing a brand new take on the truck. Much less expensive to build, no paint scratches or dents for minor impacts. No more visits to "The Dent Doctor" for dings or rubs into parking garage pillars.

Not needing to invest $Millions into a paint booth, all the robots to do the painting, and the high expenses of multi-layered paint that begins to degrade with the first road trip.

The power tonneau provides a far superior aerodynamic resulting in better range and less need to carry heavier batteries. Making it from one giant "Gigapress" casting will allow it to be produced with far fewer employees, shorter and quicker assembly lines.

Casting construction will allow for far greater payloads, range, impact safety, greater interior space. Large windshield will give better forward visibility, especially compared to traditional high hood pick-ups.

Nice thing is that buyers will have a choice of either. What might be essential to one, will be a non issue to another.
Many only want to use their trucks like a giant car. Like the truck image, but rarely use it's capabilities. Others, like construction workers, will need to haul, tow, off road, and get them really dirty.

The marketplace will decide which will be more profitable.

Wait Wait Wait……..

Much less expensive to build when Musk himself has said it’s very complicated to build and it’s a $1 million truck?

What good if the tonneau cover when you can’t close driving or are we now allowed to have the rear view mirror Obstructed?

Payload, Range, Towing ….. there is nothing to indicate the CT will be superior at any of this

Just here to share info, that's how people learn about the world. For example, I am in California, Frisco is in Colorado, or perhaps TX. But yes, we get heaps of snow, I've had 24 foot drifts near my cabin, that's why we have all those ski bums up and down the state. And we have building codes that work with carport manufacturers to build them strong enough to handle the expected snow load.

If you think I am taking your snow to casually than elucidate us, it's not malice, just don't know what's going on in Alaska and apparently upstate NY (is that like a euphemisms for Buffalo?) I think Fargo also gets crazy snow (seen it on that TV show), but is there really a dividing line between north and south that means 50% of people get that kind of crazy snow in the winter? I'm a wee bit incredulous
Well San Fancisco (What I call Frisco) while not southern Cal, doesn't get snow. I know where Alameda is and your weather there is not anything that says you need worry about 6 - 12 inches snow storms. I would say that from Virgina North out to the rockies and yes in the mountains of Callifornia So 36 degrees North (You might know it as the mason dixon line) we get heavy storms and the farther north the more frequent the storms. Where I am we plan for about 10 per year and 15 smaller heavy frosts 4 inches or less.. and expect 1 storm per year to dump 24 inches. some years we get more, some less.

So with the vertical wiper even 4 inches of snow is NOT going to be cleared and we use a scraper. Well you can't push it across you have to pull towards the edges/side. Most peopel can barely reach center line of their trucks. How do we pull snow over that large honking wiper? If the wiper is radial that is it pivots from the bottom then you are just pushing any snow down the front only to rise back up. Also if your at work and car outside and you leave your wipers on the glass they freeze to the glass and you can't use them or you tear them, so we lift them up when we leave our car.

Now you can keep telling the 60% of the population that lives north of the Mason Dixon Line and off the west coast what they need. Or you can accept that perhaps others in the country might have a better handle on their needs. Either way we will look out for ourselves and pick the best auto for our needs.

Sheesh, again, the windshield isn't bulletproof!

The stainless steel panels are bulletproof to a 9mm, the windows are made from armor glass, potentially the same as the Semi, but the units are not out yet to test with.
No way that the steel is “bulletproof” (and the correct term is bullet resistant) to a 9mm. 12g steel is ~0.1” thick. At 10m a 128g FMJ out of a full size (m9/m17/g17/…) goes through 1/8” (0.125”) like butter. And cold rolled stainless is not close to the most desirable steels for anti-penetration. Laminated steel is the best for this.

For the CT my guess is for “bullet proof” they used a subcompact with low recoil HP rounds at at least 10m and an impact angle. Watch the video from the CT release the projectile basically disintegrates, FMJ don’t do that. Then yes I imagine the round would not penetrate. I imagine your theoretical combatant shooting at your CT isn’t buying fancy/expensive ($2-3+ a round) low flash/pressure, HP 9mm. More likely surplus cheep NATO spec FMJ.

But a 128g P+ FMJ (or even basic cast lead) out of a ~4.5” barrel at 10m broadside my bet is it would likely go through the outer door as well as out the other side.

Last edited:
No way that the steel is “bulletproof” (and the correct term is bullet resistant) to a 9mm. 12g steel is ~0.1” thick. At 10m a 128g FMJ out of a full size (m9/m17/g17/…) goes through 1/8” (0.125”) like butter. And cold rolled stainless is not close to the most desirable steels for anti-penetration. Laminated steel is the best for this.

For the CT my guess is for “bullet proof” they used a subcompact with low recoil HP rounds at at least 10m and an impact angle. Watch the video from the CT release the projectile basically disintegrates, FMJ don’t do that. Then yes I imagine the round would not penetrate. I imagine your theoretical combatant shooting at your CT isn’t buying fancy/expensive ($2-3+ a round) low flash/pressure, HP 9mm. More likely surplus cheep NATO spec FMJ.

But a 128g P+ FMJ (or even basic cast lead) out of a ~4.5” barrel at 10m broadside my bet is it would likely go through the outer door as well as out the other side.

We will soon find out. These things are going to be shot up on a regular basis.

Reactions: coleAK
Don't know anything about guns (or apparently upstate NY), but...
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 1.21.48 PM.png

The man said "Literally bulletproof to a 9mm handgun, that's how strong the skin is. It's ultra hard, cold rolled stainless steel alloy that we've developed. We'll be using the same alloy in the Starship rocket and in the CyberTruck" I think they also didn't say 12Ga steel, so not sure how thick.

Tesla Cybertruck Unveil Event

Don't shoot at a Tesla, the bullet might go thru the armor glass, although the steel balls didn't at the reveal

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus
Don't know anything about guns (or apparently upstate NY), but...
View attachment 907976
The man said "Literally bulletproof to a 9mm handgun, that's how strong the skin is. It's ultra hard, cold rolled stainless steel alloy that we've developed. We'll be using the same alloy in the Starship rocket and in the CyberTruck" I think they also didn't say 12Ga steel, so not sure how thick.

Tesla Cybertruck Unveil Event

Don't shoot at a Tesla, the bullet might go thru the armor glass, although the steel balls didn't at the reveal
If you don’t know anything about guns stop trying to comment on it…. “Literally bulletproof” isn’t truly bulletproof. Also ultra hard steels are not good at preventing penetration, they crack instead of give. He is making things up as he often does.

Watch the video of the projectile. It seems to disintegrate. The most common ammo, FMJ and hard cast don’t do that.

Geez, lotta gun nuts here. All I was trying to do was point out that the GLASS isn't bulletproof, and then to all those that said the metal wasn't bulletproof I put up the very specific information that was presented at the reveal.

If you guys can't accept what he's saying, that's cool, but why post about it here? The guys a lot smarter than you all based on his wallet. If he says it's an alloy they have created but haven't released for testing that has those specific characteristics, calling him a liar makes you seem to be the ones working w/o enough information.

I have presented the original Tesla information that I was working from, my work here is done

Reactions: GWord and CyberGus
Geez, lotta gun nuts here. All I was trying to do was point out that the GLASS isn't bulletproof, and then to all those that said the metal wasn't bulletproof I put up the very specific information that was presented at the reveal.

If you guys can't accept what he's saying, that's cool, but why post about it here? The guys a lot smarter than you all based on his wallet. If he says it's an alloy they have created but haven't released for testing that has those specific characteristics, calling him a liar makes you seem to be the ones working w/o enough information.

I have presented the original Tesla information that I was working from, my work here is done

He also said $39k you believe that from the “smart guy”?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Isn't Stainless Steel is an alloy metal already. What metal alloy has he created? Stainless Steel is a corrosion-resistant alloy of iron, chromium and, in some cases, nickel and other metals.
In the photo I included above you can read for yourself. All we know is that it's identified as 30x, so we don't know the full designation of this SS. When it's released to the public to play with I am sure we'll know more.

I don’t think actually knowing something about the content I’m contributing makes me a “nut”. I learned most of what I know firearms serving my country…. Thank you for the support. Well that and subsistence hunting (and fishing, I rarely buy meat from any store) most of my life

If anything I would say you are a non-gun nut as it is more nuts to try and discuss things you know little to nothing about.

-the option of 10,000 people is worthless if none are an expert on the topic.

What good if the tonneau cover when you can’t close driving or are we now allowed to have the rear view mirror Obstructed?
You can drive with the rear view mirror obstructed. Vans do it all the time, same with boxed trucks. Only mirror you need is the driver side mirror.

My biggest worry with all this bulletproof stuff are kids throwing rocks at stranger's trucks to "test it out".

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Wait, people actually still quote Elon and presume he's telling the truth? Are we in 2023 or 2013?

I still remember when he said he had a submarine that could rescue some boys in Thailand. Those were good days. I bet if those buys had a Cybertruck they wouldn't have gotten stuck in that cave to begin with.

Something something Cybertruck.