Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Will Feel Dated By the Time it Comes Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the latest tweet of him with a CT prototype rolling around new Tesla engineering HQ with laser lights tells me they are desperate to keep the CT in the public eyes but aren't ready to share final specs or pricing ... yawn...

The easiest way for Elon to keep the CT in public eyes is to have a CT ram the bejeezus out of a fire truck killing the driver and injuring some firefighters. Or randomly braking to a stop in a tunnel causing a fatality. The news wouldn't be able to stop talking about it.

They missed 2 options:

1) Reserved to sell
2) Will buy for Social Media Content

Can some tell me what Function over Form does the CT have?
For function I was hopeful for range. But a 500 mile truck is seeming less and less likely, well unless it ends up with a 250-300 kWh battery and still weights <8k lbs.

Even if by some magical way it comes out as a 500 mile truck I will likely pass due to all the goofy form’isms…. No door handles, mirrors, lights,…. Useless non flat roof line, glass roof, impractical high bed sides,… Yolk….

For function I was hopeful for range. But a 500 mile truck is seeming less and less likely, well unless it ends up with a 250-300 kWh battery and still weights <8k lbs.

Even if by some magical way it comes out as a 500 mile truck I will likely pass due to all the goofy form’isms…. No door handles, mirrors, lights,…. Useless non flat roof line, glass roof, impractical high bed sides,… Yolk….

I don’t think those 500 miles will happen, hell I’d be happy with over 350 true range.

Reactions: coleAK

sighing without saying anything is a sign of ignorant arrogance. Surely that's not the message you meant to convey right?

Note that the Model X gets an EPA rated 348 miles. So if by "true range" you meant drivable miles at 80mph, then I would agree with you. But like with all mileage claims, YMMV, which is why we go with EPA miles, since it's the most realistic of all the standardized test cycles.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: israndy and jebinc
Are you one of those who also thought the semi wouldn't go 500-miles fully loaded as well? Did Tesla have a history of failing to meet their range specs? Where does this doubt stem from?
Well basic physics for start. Just for argument sake that the drag coefficient (cd) is the same as a model 3. Which I’ll say it will be almost impossible. Ok back on topic. This thing is huge, tires are huge. Ball park 60% larger than a model 3.

Drag force = 1/2(air density)*(velocity^2)*cd*frontal area.

So if all else is equal the force required to push the CT through the air will be ~60% grater then a 3. Not factoring in more energy to accelerate it (more mass), heavier wheels/tires centripetal mass, wider larger tires (more friction,…. This puts us at absolute minimum >400 Wh/mi. Considering Rivian is ~480 Wh/mi and smaller than the CT I think it is unlikely the CT will lower. So now to get 500 mile we are talking at least a 200-250 kWh battery so that is 2 to 2+ model x/s batteries and ~2800+ lbs.

From what I can tell the semi has a 900 kWh battery and rated range to 1.7 kWh/mi.

The CT is roughly 1/3 the size of the semi. So given similar efficiency looking at ~560 Wh/mi. So to get 500 mile we are talking at least a 280 kWh battery so that is almost 3 model x/s batteries and ~4k lbs.

Well basic physics for start. Just for argument sake that the drag coefficient (cd) is the same as a model 3. Which I’ll say it will be almost impossible. Ok back on topic. This thing is huge, tires are huge. Ball park 60% larger than a model 3.

So if all else is equal the force required to push the CT through the air will be ~60% grater then a 3. Not factoring in more energy to accelerate it (more mass), heavier wheels/tires centripetal mass, wider larger tires (more friction,…. This puts us at absolute minimum >400 Wh/mi. Considering Rivian is ~480 Wh/mi and smaller than the CT I think it is unlikely the CT will lower. So now to get 500 mile we are talking at least a 200-250 kWh battery so that is 2 to 2+ model x/s batteries and ~2800+ lbs.

From what I can tell the semi has a 900 kWh battery and rated range to 1.7 kWh/mi.

The CT is roughly 1/3 the size of the semi. So given similar efficiency looking at ~560 Wh/mi. So to get 500 mile we are talking at least a 280 kWh battery so that is almost 3 model x/s batteries and ~4k lbs.

The 1.7kwh/mi was at 81,000lbs and around 55mph, neither of which are indicative of "normal driving". Are you thinking just like Mercedes' engineers and reasoning by analogy and concluding that "the physics doesn't allow it", which actually it does?

Remember that there are more to driving losses than just aerodynamics, so a 60% greater aero loss doesn't translate to 60% greater overall losses. The model X has the same frontal area as the CT and can get 333wh/mi on 19" whiles, and 370wh/mi on 22" performance wheels, so there's still room for the CT to get < 400wh/mi. But again, this is reasoning by analogy, so doesn't count.

For something more concrete, "has Tesla EVER failed to deliver on their range specs"?

The 1.7kwh/mi was at 81,000lbs and around 55mph, neither of which are indicative of "normal driving". Are you thinking just like Mercedes' engineers and reasoning by analogy and concluding that "the physics doesn't allow it", which actually it does?

Remember that there are more to driving losses than just aerodynamics, so a 60% greater aero loss doesn't translate to 60% greater overall losses. The model X has the same frontal area as the CT and can get 333wh/mi on 19" whiles, and 370wh/mi on 22" performance wheels, so there's still room for the CT to get < 400wh/mi. But again, this is reasoning by analogy, so doesn't count.

For something more concrete, "has Tesla EVER failed to deliver on their range specs"?
Yes.

sighing without saying anything is a sign of ignorant arrogance. Surely that's not the message you meant to convey right?

Note that the Model X gets an EPA rated 348 miles. So if by "true range" you meant drivable miles at 80mph, then I would agree with you. But like with all mileage claims, YMMV, which is why we go with EPA miles, since it's the most realistic of all the standardized test cycles.

What else would I mean by true range? I didn’t say Tesla range or EPA range….

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly

“Ignorant arrogance” at its finest…. Smh

Dated? Does this look dated?
download.jpeg