Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed at a V3 charger (brand new Model Y, UK).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Afree our home charger, I thought I’d whizz my wife’s new MY LR round to a local,supercharger site.

The car had about 30% of charge left when I got there and plugged in and started initially at 180kwH, which I thought was a little slow?

Anyway, I sat in the car for a few minutes while I was waiting and the screen said something like 40 mins remaining.

I then looked at the app, which showed the speed at 79kwH, which seems super slow.

This is a brand new car to us and our first Tesla, so we’re still learning.

Cheers.

Hey all,

Afree our home charger, I thought I’d whizz my wife’s new MY LR round to a local,supercharger site.

The car had about 30% of charge left when I got there and plugged in and started initially at 180kwH, which I thought was a little slow?

Anyway, I sat in the car for a few minutes while I was waiting and the screen said something like 40 mins remaining.

I then looked at the app, which showed the speed at 79kwH, which seems super slow.

Cheers.
Did you precondition the battery? Battery temp has a big effect on the charge rate.

For starters, when talking about charging speed, it’s kW, not kWh. When you think of Hour, think of size of the tank or amount of energy. Like gallons. You have a 82kWh size battery with peak charging speeds of 250kW.

Hitting peak speeds takes a lot into consideration. 180kW is a good speed for that SoC. Especially since you only potentially preconditioned for a couple of minutes on that 4 mile drive. What SoC did you notice it drop down to 79kW?

Rough estimate on charging speeds on an optimized pack, weather, and supercharger utilization:

7-25%: 200-250kW
50%: 100-115kW
80%: 50kW

Factors that lead to not hitting peak charging speeds:

-Cold battery: precondition battery. This can take many miles especially when not driving quite a bit prior to using.
-arrive at a low SoC. Upper single digits to lower teens is optimal.
-environment: hot temps can limit charge speeds as the cable and handle heats up. Would think super cold temps May effect but never personally seen this .
-full or full-ish supercharger. Theres some magic going on in the background as Tesla try’s to optimize charging speeds for everyone.

And as a side note, what the app shows and what the car shows as charging speed may vary a little. If there is a difference, it’s usually because the car is using some of that power to heat up the battery pack. It’s usually not much but it describes the differences between the two numbers.

And my final two thoughts… depending on which model y you have, it may never reach that 250kW at the current available charging profile. From my understanding, some of the newer ones with the new battery packs aren’t pulling the best peak speeds. This could be opened up in the future with software updates and I bet this will happen as more data is collected.

Software updates play a huge factor in charging speed profiles. So what May be true today may change in the future, usually for the better even if it means slightly slower speeds.

Hey all,

Cheers.
If you Google and get hold of the Model Y charge curve, you'll see that from about 30% state of charge, it's already down at around a maximum of ~150kWh.

That changed my perspective on charging as I had been thinking that I always should favour v3 SC. Reality is that's true in two conditions:-
a) I arrive at a very low SoC or
b) A suggested v2 is conveyed and it would split charge.
If I want a lunch, then I've also favoured a busier v2 knowing it will split charge and give us time to eat!
I know from experience that the car is usually ready before us anyway when in a road trip.
Most efficient for the Y is from about 10 to 40% but reality keep going until whenever.
Enjoy your car.