Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S limiting to 24/32A on new charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you override (/ "solve") that using a scheduler such as TeslaFi?

My car is often charging during the day, from PV, and the AMPs gets adjusted according to what spare PV is available (not much this time of year!) and, consequently, sometimes the car is "confused" when Off Peak starts. So I have TeslaFi (in my case) set to CHANGE AMPS to 32 (could be 28 in your case) just before the start of Off Peak. But it could be scheduled repeatedly, at intervals, throughout the Off Peak period, then if the AMPs drops (e.g. because it senses low Voltage, because other stuff has come on during Off Peak), and if the car fails to readjust back up - then a recurring . my schedule could "push" that request

All these bits-and-bobs just to save me from waking up to a half-charged car - because e.g. I lowered the AMPs for some reason, yesterday, and forgot to put them back up

I don't use the in car schedule. It's far easier than faffing about with complicated ways of making it do what I want. I don't do enough miles to need an off peak tariff so it doesn't matter when the car actually charges, just that it does.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Mine has a similar issue. If the car is set to instant charge and not scheduled it will charge at full speed. If you use the car/app timer it won't.

If you charge it at full speed and then set a schedule for later it will keep the full speed. It has to be plugged in and start charging to get and keep the full speed. If you plug it in and it's on a schedule you'll get the reduced speed.

I assume your issue is somehow related to this glitch.

My S did this with a rolec. I now have a Tesla wallbox. It does the same. I have the wallbox set to a max of 28 amps so it shows 32 (car's max) and then 28 as the max. It charges at the 28. If it is on schedule it only charges on 16 amps and it cannot be increased unless you plug in with it not scheduled, then schedule the charge for later. Then it usually keeps the higher speed.

Doesn't matter what time it is set on a schedule it's always 16 amps max. Charge it at the same time on the instant charge and it's full speed so it's not a power related thing at all.
Mine behaves the same regardless of plug'n'play or sheduled. I use the charger's schedule function, not the car's.