Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I've had a few issues over the past 10 months with my Tesla V3 1kw charger. All charging is done via the Octopus app.

Occasionally it trips the breaker and I get a partial charge. Maybe once every 14 days.

I've been talking to Octopus who have just sent me the following. Does it seem plausible and what is going to be the impact on my charging speed? As far as I know, I have a single phase supply, one master power off switch in the fuse box, not 3. House is a 4 bed, built in 2002.

Thanks.

Good evening Peter,

I've taken a closer look at payloads our end, looks like we have a limiting charging power on your 11kW Tesla wall connector. Would you kindly mind confirming whether your electric supply is three phase? From our end it doesn't appear to be and it would be required for your Tesla connector to be used at 11kW rate.

I'd recommend that we re onboard your integration for the 7kW variety of the Tesla wall connector as we are expecting up to 11kW and only achieving on average per sessions around 6kW depending on scheduling preferences.

To de-authenticate your EV, please follow these steps:

⦿ Click the profile button in the top corner of the app’s dashboard.
⦿ Select ‘Intelligent Octopus Settings’.
⦿ Scroll down and tap ‘Disconnect Car’ and confirm.
⦿ This will disconnect your device and log you out of the app.

Once this is complete, you can then go through the onboarding process again which is detailed below, do not worry, you will still be on the Intelligent Octopus tariff.

⦿ From the home screen of the app, tap 'Get started' under 'Intelligent Octopus for EVs'.
⦿ Select 'Electric Vehicle' or 'Charger' (depending on your compatible device).
⦿ Select your EV and charger make and model.
⦿ Read and accept the tariff terms and conditions.
⦿ Login to your EV portal.
⦿ Complete a short test charge.

Kind regards,

Danni | Community Management @ 🐙
✨🔌⚡

Does it seem plausible

I'm no expert, but 11kW would be 3-phase, and 7-kW Single phase

I think it unlikely (in UK) that a 2002 built 4-bed would have 3-phase

Maybe something was inadvertently incorrectly configured as 11kW when it was installed?

One option might be to dial-down the AMPs (on the dashboard, or in the APP) to 32AMP - and assuming that overrides the charger setting of 11kW, then you could see if that still trips the circuit

Update. The chap who installed the charger is popping back. He thinks it's the breaker that is breaking down.

As to my supply it's single phase. Unsurprisingly.
Hi
When you set up your Tesla Charger, there is an option for 7KW or 11KW.
It could be that it was set up for 11KW (48 amp), even though there is only a 7KW (32 amp) supply.

Check your set-up in the Tesla Installation.

Stephen
1705585203677.png

Hi
When you set up your Tesla Charger, there is an option for 7KW or 11KW.
It could be that it was set up for 11KW (48 amp), even though there is only a 7KW (32 amp) supply.

Check your set-up in the Tesla Installation.

Stephen
View attachment 1010040

Sensible to check/change this setting but I can't see how this would have any bearing on the OPs charging issue. It will help Octopus understand the average kW draw if it is re-registered with them at the correct rate but that's all, as far as I can see. No doubt the electrician will have a better chance of identifying the breaker issue. OP should also check for any recorded notifications in the car too.

Interestingly I am having the same issue although my max charging is 32A. Furthermore, for sessions controlled by Octopus they always seem to schedule the charge at 16A and when the session has been calculated in the afternoon I can see the charge rate change on the Tesla app. If I just ask the Tesla to charge it charges at 32A. I did observe that the breaker tripped 3kwh into a charge.

My electrician said that UK regs say he cannot use a simple breaker and he installed another box and it is that box that is tripping. I noticed the warning in the image posted above that a GFCI is included and should not be installed so I wonder if my electrician has mistakenly installed a GFCI.