Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Mobile Charging.

Question 1: I have the regular 110v outlet with 15amp circuit breaker in the basement. Can this adaptor from 5-15 to 6-20 give me extra changing?

Question 2: If I run a 220v dedicated line from the circuit breaker to my garage. How many amps should the Receptacle be? 15 or 20? Should 2 slots in the circuit breaker with 40amp each combined be enough?

If you have any links to the items, that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

For Mobile Charging.

Question 1: I have the regular 110v outlet with 15amp circuit breaker in the basement. Can this adaptor from 5-15 to 6-20 give me extra changing?

Question 2: If I run a 220v dedicated line from the circuit breaker to my garage. How many amps should the Receptacle be? 15 or 20? Should 2 slots in the circuit breaker with 40amp each combined be enough?

Thanks for your help!

Answer 1: No, but depending on what you do with that adapter, you could overload the circuit and trip it, or worse, start an electrical fire.

Answer 2: The size of your circuit will depend on two main factors: 1.) how much spare capacity you have available in your circuit breaker panel, and 2.) how quickly you need to charge - how many miles of range you need to add per hour.

7C2442FB-CA4A-4599-AF2C-5A708F42AA7A.jpeg

The table above shows replenishment rates for various circuit sizes. The larger the circuit, the faster the car will charge. Standard range Model 3 tops out at 32 amps while all others top out at 48 amps. Divide your total battery capacity in kWh by the charge rate in kW to see how many hours it will take to fully charge your car. Decide from there what speed works best for your use case and electrical capacity.

Example: 75 kWh battery pack takes 6.5 hours to charge at 11.5 kW, and closer to 20 hours to recharge at 3.8 kW.

For Mobile Charging.

Thanks for your help!
Answer A
No. It’s less, not more.

Using 6-20 device in a 5-15 circuit means asking for trouble.

That adapter is the last resort to fit a 6-20 charger plug that requires 240V 20A circuit but you only have a standard 5-15 120V 15A wall outlet.

It will blow the circuit breaker or burn your home down if you don't turn down the amperes from your car.

Answer B:
Any 240V is more superior than 120V. The higher Amperes the better depending how much your hookup requires. If it requires 48A then 60A circuit is good enough.

To get 240V, it requires 2 slots in the circuit breaker panel.

Answer C:
You are making me nervous. You should consult an electrician before burning your home down.

I have an electrician coming to look at the panel. I already have an old 6-20 receptacle in a garage with 220v line (see picture). Which I would like to replace with a newer 6-20 receptacle (any recommendations?) That 6-20 receptacle has it's own dedicated breaker that say 40 on it (see picture).

Attachments

• PXL_20230105_233731674.jpg
    PXL_20230105_233731674.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20230106_000858113_2.jpg
    PXL_20230106_000858113_2.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 119
I have an electrician coming to look at the panel. I already have an old 6-20 receptacle in a garage with 220v line (see picture). Which I would like to replace with a newer 6-20 receptacle (any recommendations?) That 6-20 receptacle has it's own dedicated breaker that say 40 on it (see picture).
A 6-20 receptacle should always be on a 20 amp breaker, so if you're certain it's connected back to that 40, it needs to be fixed before you use it for EV charging.

I'd buy the 6-20 adapter for your mobile connector and use that, presuming you get the circuit checked out and validated. That should be enough for most use cases.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Paul1
A 6-20 receptacle should always be on a 20 amp breaker, so if you're certain it's connected back to that 40, it needs to be fixed before you use it for EV charging.

I'd buy the 6-20 adapter for your mobile connector and use that, presuming you get the circuit checked out and validated. That should be enough for most use cases.
Thank you. I will have the breaker checked out and fixed if need. Yes, planning to get the 6-20 adapter to charge as 14-15 miles/hr range is good enough for me.

When you replace the breaker it may need to be a GFIC breaker. The reason I saw may is that it is an existing circuit and as such does not have to comply with updates to the electrical code, however, if you were to install a new circuit a GFIC would definitely be required. Even so, when you replace that 40A breaker with the 20A I would go for a GFIC breaker. There is a reason the code was updated to require GFIC breakers - don’t mess around with electricity.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Paul1
If your going to hire an electrician why not get them to install a Tesla wall connector? Hard wired will not require any GFCI. Even if your current service can't support more than 20 amps the electrician can use wire capable of carrying the full 48. Then if you decide at a later time to upgrade service you can just install a 60 amp breaker.

If your service can support more than 20amps go with a 60 amp hard wired wall connector or the highest amperage your service will support.

Using existing wires and receptacle for EV charging is risky. EV charging is a high and constant load which can continue for many hours.

Reactions: Big Earl
If your going to hire an electrician why not get them to install a Tesla wall connector? Hard wired will not require any GFCI. Even if your current service can't support more than 20 amps the electrician can use wire capable of carrying the full 48. Then if you decide at a later time to upgrade service you can just install a 60 amp breaker.

If your service can support it go with a 60 amp hard wired wall connector or the highest amperage your service will support
I am planning to move so don't want to add the wall charger and ok with Mobile charger for now.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Thank you. I will have the breaker checked out and fixed if need. Yes, planning to get the 6-20 adapter to charge as 14-15 miles/hr range is good enough for me.
It's a workable solution unless one is consistently driving huge miles per day. We are using an EVSE on a 6-20 circuit that we had installed for our 2012 LEAF, which was limited to 16A charging. Many intuitively conclude that a larger battery pack necessitates faster home charging. But in my experience the larger "reservoir" of the Tesla pack actually makes the rate of a home EVSE less consequential.

Answer C:
You are making me nervous. You should consult an electrician before burning your home down.

VERY nervous. I'm not going to even speculate what that "220v" circuit actually might be, since OP may do something life threatening .

And that 'breaker' ... wow. I've never seen anything like it. I cannot even tell how many poles it has

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleCreepy
Agreed. That looks like an obsolete push matic breaker that are less then reliable in any use.

Thanks for the label. I found this on the internet

Honestly, if I was asked to do work on a panel like this I would walk away. I'm *tempted* to say that each side is one phase, but I'm guessing. And you have to shudder at the feeder lugs about 1 cm. away from the main disconnect. And I *still* cannot ID any wires going into whatever that thing is.

Wow, Pushmatic circuit breaker are neat. We have them at a family cottage in Michigan. Be sure to exercise them periodically by cycling them on and off, as the contacts can get crappy over time if they aren’t used periodically.

Have your electrician check the wiring on that 40 amp breaker to see if it is the correct gauge for the circuit. The receptacle should be on a 20 amp breaker, not a 40 amp. Whether you need to downsize the breaker or upsize the receptacle will depend on the size of the wire between the two.

For those posters above who are unsure, that is definitely a two pole, 240 volt breaker. The 120 volt Pushmatic breakers are half that size, as pictured in the link in the above post.

Last edited:
Wow, Pushmatic circuit breaker are neat.
The 'exercise' is to grease the mechanical movement so that they do not get stuck in a closed position. A proper test is to see if the cirucit is actually open ("off" ??) when it says it is open.
I read that the really old ones only have thermal overload, so they do not protect against a short circuit.
And I don't know if GFI push-matic breakers even exist.

Last edited:
Depending on how many miles he puts on per week why not just use the 120v standard plug until moving? Curious why a 40 amp breaker for a 20 amp plug. The continuous load shouldn't be more than 16amps for that. I would want that thing to trip at 20 amps. Otherwise use a standard 120v outlet.

Update:
So I had an electrician come out this past weekend and upon review and per electrician's suggestion. It is better to run a new line with proper wire gage for the mobile charger for 14-50 charge at 220v. As it'll be hard and require a bit of time to fish it from inside the house and gazillions different 90 bends, the best route would be to go from out side the house to the garage right under the house siding to into the breaker box. Also, the electrician suggested we put a 40A circuit breaker since the 14-50 current requirement is 32A.

1673278269753.png

Attachments

• 1673278322834.png
    1673278322834.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 78