Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, the electrician suggested we put a 40A circuit breaker since the 14-50 current requirement is 32A.
If he really said that, get a different electrician

Your table is for the TMC which is limited to 32 Amps. IF your request is for a receptacle on a dedicated EV charging branch circuit that will only use the TMC, then wire gauge and breaker adequate to supply 32 Amps continuous is adequate. That is NEC code legal but I am not a fan because when you leave the 14-50 receptacle will remain and a future owner might assume it is a 50 Amp circuit.

If you agree to a new Branch Circuit, a receptacle will require an expensive GFI breaker that may or may not be available for your very old electrical panel. You may have no choice but to go with a hard-wired branch circuit to be code compliant since you will not want a panel upgrade.

---
Did you find out the details of the branch circuit that apparently terminates in a 6-20 receptacle in your garage ? The important details are how many wires, the type of wire, whether it has a grounding wire, and the AWG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enginerd
I would have the electrician wire the circuit to a typical spec with a 50A breaker. The Tesla mobile charger will take care of itself and limit to 32A. But if you buy anyone else mobile or wall charger and plug in a 14-50, it would attempt to charge at 40A, which would be problematic with a 40A breaker.
What he said.

Your table is for the TMC which is limited to 32 Amps. IF your request is for a receptacle on a dedicated EV charging branch circuit that will only use the TMC, then wire gauge and breaker adequate to supply 32 Amps continuous is adequate. That is NEC code legal but I am not a fan because when you leave the 14-50 receptacle will remain and a future owner might assume it is a 50 Amp circuit.

If you agree to a new Branch Circuit, a receptacle will require an expensive GFI breaker that may or may not be available for your very old electrical panel. You may have no choice but to go with a hard-wired branch circuit to be code compliant since you will not want a panel upgrade.

---
Did you find out the details of the branch circuit that apparently terminates in a 6-20 receptacle in your garage ? The important details are how many wires, the type of wire, whether it has a grounding wire, and the AWG.
The proposal is to add a dedicated EV charging outlet using proper gauge wire with a new NEMA 14-50 receptacle connected to the 40amp circuit breaker. So that I can plug in the 14-50 adaptor that came with TMC.

As for the 6-20 outlet, upon checking, there is no ground to that outlet and the electrician said to make it safe we either would have to pull a ground or replace the whole wiring. Which is why proposal was to add a new line using a conduit bringing from the basement to outside of the house into the garage.

Why is there an issue with 40amp breaker? The electrician is certified who recommended this as a alternate route to having a dedicated TWC. So if having a 40amp circuit breaker is an issue, please let me know why so that I can ask the electrician.

Thank you for your help!

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I would have the electrician wire the circuit to a typical spec with a 50A breaker. The Tesla mobile charger will take care of itself and limit to 32A. But if you buy anyone else mobile or wall charger and plug in a 14-50, it would attempt to charge at 40A, which would be problematic with a 40A breaker.

What he said.
Wouldn't 50A breaker be too much for the TMC?

Wouldn't 50A breaker be too much for the TMC?
No. That is totally independent.

The breaker should be sized to the circuit. A NEMA 14-50 is intended to be connected to a 50A breaker - that is the NEC standard. There is no harm in putting a smaller breaker on the circuit. But future stuff might throw the breaker if another device it is connected to a proper 14-50 outlet.

As a point of note, the Tesla Wall Charger is the only charger I have heard of that limits a NEMA 14-50 to 32A charging. Other chargers would attempt to charge at 40A.

No. That is totally independent.

The breaker should be sized to the circuit. A NEMA 14-50 is intended to be connected to a 50A breaker - that is the NEC standard. There is no harm in putting a smaller breaker on the circuit. But future stuff might throw the breaker if another device it is connected to a proper 14-50 outlet.

As a point of note, the Tesla Wall Charger is the only charger I have heard of that limits a NEMA 14-50 to 32A charging. Other chargers would attempt to charge at 40A.
I see what you saying about the 50A.

TMC 14-50 adaptor automatically adjusts to the 32A as well from what I was told by Tesla service when I purchased the TMC.

TMC 14-50 adaptor automatically adjusts to the 32A as well from what I was told by Tesla service when I purchased the TMC.
I had a typo above comment. I wrote that the Tesla Wall Charger limits to 32A. That is incorrect. I meant to write the mobile charger limits to 32A on a NEMA 14-50 circuit. The wall charger will charge to the normal 80% limit of the circuit it is on.

Why is there an issue with 40amp breaker?

Not a code issue per se, but it is penny wise and pound foolish, and you are increasing the risk of a safety issue in the future, particularly with those old push-matic breakers.
The only reason I would consider it is if the panel capacity could not take a 50 Amp breaker. Keep in mind that the electrician may choose AWG only good for 40Amps/32A continuous, so at a later date someone would not be able to upgrade the breaker to match the receptacle.

If you do go with the lower Amp rated circuit, do everyone a favor and ask the electrician to add signage to the receptacle.

Your larger worry for now is whether GFI can be accommodated for a receptacle, and at what cost. Did your electrician talk to you about the GFI requirement ? A new branch circuit has to meet the locally used NEC, and any additional local code.

Did you get a photo of the wires in that so-called 6-20 branch circuit ? If it is in fact a 2-wire, #12 AWG cable assembly that has been incorrectly wired for 6-20, you can probably reconfigure it as a 5-20 that will give you close to 2 kW charging at minimal installation cost. You will be able to install a 5-20 GFI receptacle. It would be about $40 - $60 in parts and however much you are charged for perhaps 15 minutes of installation time. Your only remaining cost would be a 5-20 adapter for your Tesla TMC.

2 kW is good for about 7 miles of EPA range per hour of charging.

Last edited:
Put in the Tesla Wall Connector!

The cost for the wall connector is $350 + a $15 breaker. The cost of the 14-50 option is $80 for a Bryant or Hubble outlet (you cannot use the cheap $15 Leviton version), $150 for a GFCI breaker (required by code), $230 for the mobile connector, plus say $35 for some sort of cable management system. This comes to $495!

Additionally, the mobile connector is limited to a maximum charging rate of 32A while the wall connector will deliver 40A on the same 50A circuit. And if you opt to install a 60A circuit (and use the correct wire i.e. not #6 Romex) your charging rate will be 48A. Also the wall connector has a 24' cable while the mobile connector's is 20'.

BTW, if for some reason you need to limit this to 40A (service panel issue) the wall connector will still work (charging at 32A) and is still cheaper.

The proposal is to add a dedicated EV charging outlet using proper gauge wire with a new NEMA 14-50 receptacle connected to the 40amp circuit breaker. So that I can plug in the 14-50 adaptor that came with TMC.

As for the 6-20 outlet, upon checking, there is no ground to that outlet and the electrician said to make it safe we either would have to pull a ground or replace the whole wiring. Which is why proposal was to add a new line using a conduit bringing from the basement to outside of the house into the garage.

Why is there an issue with 40amp breaker? The electrician is certified who recommended this as a alternate route to having a dedicated TWC. So if having a 40amp circuit breaker is an issue, please let me know why so that I can ask the electrician.

Thank you for your help!

Super curious what all is in your panel in terms of loads. Can you post a better, straight-on picture of the panel, showing the main breaker and all of the other breakers?

In my experience, most of these old Pushmatic panels are only 100 amps main service. If you have large loads like an electric dryer, water heater, space heating or a range, you might be close to the limit even before you add EV charging. If that's the case, and depending on how you use these appliances, you might consider installing a smaller circuit.

My go-to recommendation for EV drivers is to install a Wall Connector ( in your case, 40-amp circuit or less, depending on the overhead you have available) instead of a receptacle for the Mobile Connector. The mobile connector is great, but the wall connector is a super deal at just $350, only requires two conductors (wires) instead of three (no neutral), and doesn't require a GFCI breaker. I've seen single-pole Pushmatic GFCI breakers, but not a double-pole, which is what would be needed to install a NEMA 14-50 to code.

Can the Tesla Wall chargers be used for other EVs?

or is it better to get J1772 wall charger installed since if I am considering a wall unit so that next owner of the house can take advantage and use that as selling point for the house?

Last edited:
Can the Tesla Wall chargers be used for other EVs?

The regular Tesla Wall Connector ($350) can be used by other EVs if they have an adapter like this. The other option is to install a Tesla J-1772 Wall Connector ($550) but that's more expensive and requires you to use your J-1772 adapter.

If you move, you can uninstall the Wall Connector and take it with you to your new house. You can either block off the circuit and leave the breaker and wiring for the next owner to install whatever he or she wants, or you can swap it out for the appropriate receptacle for the circuit.

Last edited:
One More Thing.

There's a bit of history about that NEMA14-50 socket. Turns out that there were/are things like clothes driers that need a 240V, 40A circuit (36A current draw). A 40A circuit would, in theory, call for a breaker, wire, and socket that could (all three) support 40A.

But, if one looks at the available NEMA sockets, there sure and begorrah aren't any 40A sockets in the collection. So.. The Next Size Up is a NEMA14-50.

But, to properly do a 50A 240VAC circuit, one should have the NEMA14-50 (rated for 50A), a breaker (rated for 50A), and (and here's the important point) wire that's rated for 50A.

Turns out that the cost difference between a 40A and 50A breaker is minimal. The socket's the socket. But good old Copper Wire costs $$, and the bigger the diameter, the bigger the $$.

So, somehow, it became legal in the NEC (National Electrical Code) to put a 40A breaker, 40A wire, and a NEMA14-50 on the same circuit. All in the interests of saving some wire money. One is supposed to put a Serious Label on the socket when one Does That, and I suppose that's fine for somebody's clothes drier, especially if said clothes drier is some distance from the breaker panel.

But, if you're putting this socket in the garage where any old fool can put a NEMA14-50 plug into that NEMA14-50 socket, it sounds like one is asking for Serious Trouble. If it were me, with my nearest and dearest living in the house, I wouldn't take the risk.

Now, the Tesla Mobile Connector does max out at 32A. And that might be because, well, Tesla decided that 32A was enough for anybody, kind of like that IBM guy who thought that 1 MB of RAM was sufficient for computing going forward. But there's been the occasional comment that (a) there are houses where a clothes drier has been put in the garage, (b) said clothes drier is using a NEMA14-50 socket backed up with a 40A breaker and wire (because of course it is), and (c) the Tesla Mobile Connector has no way to tell if, when outfitted with a NEMA14-50 adapter, whether there's a 40A breaker or 50A breaker out there. Note that a heavy, steady-state load on a XX Amperage circuit is required to run at 80% or less of the breaker/socket/wire capacity; 40A*0.8 = 32A, and, well, there you are. Tesla has by limiting the max load probably prevented any number of houses from catching on fire and going down in flames. (Note that just because a 40A breaker is listed as 40A; if one was drawing the max for a 50A circuit, that would by 40A, the breaker would not be likely to trip. But the wires would certainly heat up, not a good thing. When the NEC says, "80%", they don't say that for no reason.)

Now, with the Tesla Mobile Connector, one is not going to blow up anything, since it's going to limit things to 32A (40A breaker size) anyway. But that's right now. Everybody and their brother-in-law is going to be using electric cars going into the future; and there's Wall Connectors for other cars as well as the Tesla Special and other Wall Connectors that can be plugged into that NEMA14-50. So, it might not be a problem for Right Now, but future stuff, you betcha.

Don't play with people's lives. If you're going to put in a NEMA14-50 for charging purposes, back it up with a 50A breaker and 50A wire as well, and don't listen to funny business about, "40A is OK" from that electrician.

I'll give the guy a break: He probably puts in a lot more clothes drier sockets than electric car sockets and may have apprenticed with an electrician who did a lot of that, too, and therefore may have gotten the Wrong Idea.

I thought you were moving? If your moving just charge on a standard 120v outlet

If your going to spend the money on new wiring skip the 14-50 and hard wire a wall connector in there with a 60 amp circuit.
I am still planning to move. But for the time being and giving the age of my panel not able to Find GFCI breaker. To be on the safe, i am considering the wall charger that has built in GFCI and i can either leave it for the next owner or remove and take with.

Reactions: Big Earl
About GFI:

There is usually GFI in the EVSE, but that does not satisfy the requirement for GFI in the branch circuit (BC).
There are in general 3 ways to satisfy the NEC GFI requirement:

1. Hard wire. Then BC GFI is not needed
2. Use a GFI breaker on the BC
3. Use a GFI receptacle

One practical difference between (2) and (3) is that GFI receptacles are not available for 240V, but are for 120V. This is why OP's choices have come down to either a hard-wired 240V EVSE or a 120V receptacle that is used with the TMC and an adapter. As I said earlier, it is likely that the dedicated BC he has in the garage with a 6-20 receptacle (but no ground, per electrician visit) can probably be easily re-wired to be a 20A/120V circuit with a GFI receptacle.

Last edited:
About GFI:

There is usually GFI in the EVSE, but that does not satisfy the requirement for GFI in the branch circuit (BC).
There are in general 3 ways to satisfy the NEC GFI requirement:

1. Hard wire. Then BC GFI is not needed
2. Use a GFI breaker on the BC
3. Use a GFI receptacle

One practical difference between (2) and (3) is that GFI receptacles are not available for 240V, but are for 120V. This is why OP's choices have come down to either a hard-wired 240V EVSE or a 120V receptacle that is used with the TMC and an adapter. As I said earlier, it is likely that the dedicated BC he has in the garage with a 6-20 receptacle (but no ground, per electrician visit) can probably be easily re-wired to be a 20A/120V circuit with a GFI receptacle.
Yes but, a CFIC breaker does not have to be added if the outlet is not changed as it will be grandfathered to the rules in place when installed.

Yes but, a CFIC breaker does not have to be added if the outlet is not changed as it will be grandfathered to the rules in place when installed.

Right.
The electrician proposed a new BC. That *will* require GFI if a receptacle is placed
The "6-20" receptacle in the garage was reported to not have a ground wire. Bad idea all around, and I don't even know if a a Tesla EVSE would work.

Reactions: ATPMSD