Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center display spontaneously reboots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came from a long roadtrip after installing 5.9 and have had multiple spontaneous reboots as well. This never happened to me on 5.8.10- I'm writing it off as being some sort of bug; hopefully it will get fixed in 5.9.1. ;)

^This.

Went on an over 350 mile round-trip road trip this weekend. With nav running, reboot about every 20-30 mins. Maps get choppy, then...

It always came back after the TSOD.

I called tech support, said they pulled the logs & that engineering was looking into it.

I have been monitoring my car with VisibleTesla. Since I upgraded to 5.9 my console rebooted spontaneously each night since. I get a "0" volt notification from VisibleTesla, as well as having to log back into my 2-step verification for my google apps in the morning.

I have heard direct from a Tesla Service Center Manager and they are aware of the issue I described in my OP that started this topic. Tesla will be sending me an OTA update soon to correct it. I was told that when the software is ready it will be sent OTA to "the entire fleet".

Yes, I realize that not everyone has 5.9 yet. The point here is that this is a known issue to Tesla and it will be corrected. Exactly when that will happen I do not know, but it will happen.

Kudos to Tesla for not trying to duck the issue but addressing it and providing a fix.

I only just got my car, and this had happened (it was delivered to me with 5.9). I just assumed it was likely a random bug that happens and wrote it off. But having found this thread I figured I would throw my car into the hat as well. I can't, however, comment on if it ever happened pre-5.9 since my car didn't exist at that time :)

Had a similar behavior when backing out of a parking space mid-day today, the rear camera and rear parking sensor screen both stayed on the center display after I put the car in 'drive' and drove forward. After about a minute of driving I pulled over, put the car in 'P' then back into drive and the screen cleared (didn't seem to be a full re-boot). I've not re-booted the center display and emailed ownership tonight to report the behavior and told them that they're welcome to interrogate my car to see if they can see error logs before I reboot the center display tomorrow morning...

My SC called today & said that Tesla had "fixed it". I asked if I should go look for & accept an update and the tech said "Um...". Seems like something he ought to know, but...

I assume that all updates minor & major need to be accepted? Would suck if I needed to go someplace NOW to find the car with the headlights on in the middle of an upgrade...

The spontaneous center display reboot issue is already fixed? Good news. I will post again when I get the update firmware installed.

I just called my SC about the issue (I've had about 6 reboots in the past week and my NAV is very choppy) and he said that he thought he would be able to fix it over the air without me coming in. I'll keep you posted if that is the case.

There have been settings that have changed after updates. I know of ones people have mentioned where the setting changed, but didn't agree with what the user interface was showing, so they toggled the setting and rebooted. The one I see most frequently changing is that the car lowers itself during the update. Also, it's been known that there are things that they have ota changed in the cars settings to get rid of bugs in someone's car (possibly even right after an update, iirc).

My SC was able to fix the problem over the air without me having to do anything. I called from work yesterday afternoon and by the time I left last night he had accessed the car over the air and fixed the problem (at least it seems fixed so far). Based on the questions he was asking me and based on the problems I had, it appears that something they did to the NAV system is the root of the problem.

My SC was able to fix the problem over the air without me having to do anything. I called from work yesterday afternoon and by the time I left last night he had accessed the car over the air and fixed the problem (at least it seems fixed so far). Based on the questions he was asking me and based on the problems I had, it appears that something they did to the NAV system is the root of the problem.

I got the same response from my local Service Center manager. He told me that on Tuesday (April 1, 2014, and I do not believe he was pulling an April Fool's joke on me) a software "patch" was installed in my car OTA that is supposed to solve the center display reboot issue that my OP in this topic describes.

He said that kind of software install does not produce the standard message on the display informing the user that a change is going to be, or has been, made to the car's firmware, and it does not change the firmware version number. My car is still on 5.9 (1.51.88) which is what it was on when I reported the display reboot issue.

In the past two days I have not had the center display reboot problem occur.

So this was news to me, that Tesla can install OTA software "patches" to our cars that do not display a message on the center display before or after installation, do not require us to "accept" the install and do not change the firmware number. Up to this point I had always assumed that any software change sent OTA by Tesla would trigger the message on the screen informing the user about the change.

I am fine with getting a "patch" with no indication of it, I was just surprised to learn that Tesla did that. I suppose some people will find this capability disturbing in some way, that they don't always have "control" over when to accept a software change. But the reality is that these cars are rolling computers that have safety-critical aspects to them, and the manufacturer has to be able to make changes to them that they feel are in the best interest of the customer and to keep the customer safe. If someone doesn't like that they should buy a different car, but I predict that 10 years from now almost all cars are going to function the way the Model S does: continuous software changes over time, some of them new features but many of them "patches" to fix problems, and the user has essentially no choice but to accept the software changes, just like our desktop and mobile computers work right now.

I got the same response from my local Service Center manager. He told me that on Tuesday (April 1, 2014, and I do not believe he was pulling an April Fool's joke on me) a software "patch" was installed in my car OTA that is supposed to solve the center display reboot issue that my OP in this topic describes.

He said that kind of software install does not produce the standard message on the display informing the user that a change is going to be, or has been, made to the car's firmware, and it does not change the firmware version number. My car is still on 5.9 (1.51.88) which is what it was on when I reported the display reboot issue.

In the past two days I have not had the center display reboot problem occur.

So this was news to me, that Tesla can install OTA software "patches" to our cars that do not display a message on the center display before or after installation, do not require us to "accept" the install and do not change the firmware number. Up to this point I had always assumed that any software change sent OTA by Tesla would trigger the message on the screen informing the user about the change.

I am fine with getting a "patch" with no indication of it, I was just surprised to learn that Tesla did that. I suppose some people will find this capability disturbing in some way, that they don't always have "control" over when to accept a software change. But the reality is that these cars are rolling computers that have safety-critical aspects to them, and the manufacturer has to be able to make changes to them that they feel are in the best interest of the customer and to keep the customer safe. If someone doesn't like that they should buy a different car, but I predict that 10 years from now almost all cars are going to function the way the Model S does: continuous software changes over time, some of them new features but many of them "patches" to fix problems, and the user has essentially no choice but to accept the software changes, just like our desktop and mobile computers work right now.
[FONT=&amp]While technically possible, it seems extremely unlikely that there would be an OTA software revision that secretly installs, works differently, but yet leaves your car showing that 5.9 (1.51.88) is still the version installed. (Sorry to disagree with your dad).[/FONT]