Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Show Poster: Draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all. More good observations. I think we're getting close now.

RKM said:
Will you give your permission for others to use this?

Absolutely. I can provide the full-size Photoshop PSD file (3675 x 5475 pixels), made for a 2 foot by 3 foot poster. Can also provide in PNG or other formats as well.

Here's a slightly smaller version of the latest so it's a little easier to get a feel for the overall poster on a computer monitor.
modelSPoster.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing: in the latest version I posted, the specifications area uses "MPH" in some places and "mph" in the other. I've corrected this so they all use "mph", but felt it wasn't worth uploading again since it's such a minor fix.

Babylonfive said:
p.s. the kerning on MODEL S is a little wonky - can you make the spacing on MODEL a little tighter and the spacing between MODEL and S a little more?

Done.

OK all, I've uploaded the raw .PSD Photoshop file for this to sendspace, if you're interested in downloading/modifying/printing/whatever.

Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zgh8jp (19.62 MB, .zip file)

Enjoy!

If you're done, gratz. If not, here's some more nitpicks to mostly be ignored but some perhaps considered:
- The space between the letters of "MODEL" is good, but you need more between "MODEL" and "S". It blends together into "MODELS" quickly, especially at a distance.
- The yellow to gray was a great improvement.
- The "MODEL S" font looks normal or thin, while the rest of the sheet looks bold or thick. I prefer the former. Especially for the specifications section. I'd go with a "generally thinner" font but still sans serif family.
- I think your previous "on the road" (instead of "of any car") works better from a correctness standpoint, and because it keeps "any car" from showing up on two lines in a row.
- I think you bolded "for life" but it doesn't really show up well. Italics might. But it might also look too busy.
- If you want to have a little (more) fun with it put a small font disclaimer below the specifications box. With text something like...
Warning: Tesla Model S is known to cause a persistent grin for occupants of the driver seat. Do not test drive unless you plan to buy. Because you will once you do.

Great work, these are just nitpicks.

I would eliminate the box of bullet points in the middle as it is largely redundant to the text above and specifications below, and increase the font size and white space for the text that remains. Some of the superlatives in the box of bullet points can be integrated as contextual information in the specifications if you choose. Also, the picture of the blue car is slightly higher than the red one, so I would level those out (you might also consider eliminating the blue one and sticking with the red only, in larger scale).

Under the specifications, you might consider changing the unit for charge rate from MPH to "time for full charge", as MPH has a different common understanding. For operating cost, I would delete the second "approx" as it is redundant. The specifications are a bit unclear in terms of definition. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are claims for a specific car (the same car or two different ones?) while the price is given for a couple of different configurations. You should give specifications either for the specific vehicle displayed or use Tesla's numbers as they give them.

The black bar containing the text "MODEL S" divides the Tesla "T" logo and makes the bottom part of the logo look like a bit of an orphan. You might consider using transparency to clarify this.

Agree with mnx that "assembled by Tesla Motors in Fremont California" might be a better wording.

Is it actually the quickest American sedan? GM's official 0-60 numbers for the Cadillac CTS-V is 3.9 seconds (with the standard 551 HP V8). The Hennessey 1,000 HP version (which can be ordered through some GM dealers) is much faster, but since non-stock would not be a fair comparison). Not trying to take anything away from all of the other Tesla benefits... just a little nit-pick on the "fastest" claim.

Done.
Enjoy!

Good job on the poster, very informative. Have fun at the auto show. Where exactly is it? I think I'll be in town that weekend, but will be a hard sell for my wife. :)

Listing the specs for model s is kinda tricky, it looks like your specs on the poster are for MSP, and your car is a MS 80kwh? Ideally would have 4 columns of specs (40,60,80,MSP) but hey Tesla should already be compensating you for doing their marketing for them. :)

Last edited:
I would eliminate the box of bullet points in the middle as it is largely redundant to the text above and specifications below, and increase the font size and white space for the text that remains.

I would prefer to keep the middle text box, but revise the third bullet to read as "Free access to Tesla supercharger network." Overall, great work, Todd!

Let us know how the event goes. I attended a small EV event at our local high school last weekend and really enjoyed speaking with current and prospective MS owners. (Didn't have to worry about anyone mistreating my car since unfortunately mine was at the service center, but there were 4 other Tesla owners in attendance with their cars.) incidentally, everyone thought the dash.time4tesla.com website with the clock, weather and stock quotes on the 17" screen was really cool.

Wow, tough crowd here :). Geez guys, I have a day job! ;)

Brianman said:
The space between the letters of "MODEL" is good, but you need more between "MODEL" and "S". It blends together into "MODELS" quickly, especially at a distance.

I'll try to tweak this.

Brianman said:
The "MODEL S" font looks normal or thin, while the rest of the sheet looks bold or thick. I prefer the former. Especially for the specifications section. I'd go

with a "generally thinner" font but still sans serif family.

I'll try to tweak. I wanted to be careful to make sure the text is still visible from a distance.

Brianman said:
I think your previous "on the road" (instead of "of any car") works better from a correctness standpoint, and because it keeps "any car" from showing up on two lines in a row.

I'll tweak.

Brianman said:
I think you bolded "for life" but it doesn't really show up well. Italics might. But it might also look too busy.

Will give this a try.

Brianman said:
If you want to have a little (more) fun with it put a small font disclaimer below the specifications box. With text something like...
Warning: Tesla Model S is known to cause a persistent grin for occupants of the driver seat. Do not test drive unless you plan to buy. Because you will once you do.

Funny idea. Not sure if it will fit, but I'll try it out.

vfx said:
Consider moving asterisk to after the )*

Will do.

mnx said:
May I suggest that saying "American car maker Tesla Motors in Fremont Calfornia" is redundant? Everyone knows California is in the US right?

Also a good point.

Martini said:
I would eliminate the box of bullet points in the middle as it is largely redundant to the text above and specifications below,

Not quite redundant, IMHO, but I'll be tweaking these.

Martini said:
Also, the picture of the blue car is slightly higher than the red one, so I would level those out (you might also consider eliminating the blue one and sticking with the red only, in larger scale).

I'll level them out. That's the highest resolution I can find. Any larger and they'll look bad when printed--plus I want to show a front quarter and rear quarter view.

Martini said:
Under the specifications, you might consider changing the unit for charge rate from MPH to "time for full charge", as MPH has a different common understanding.

I recognize that, but if people can't figure it out, and they care, they'll ask. The problem with using "time for full charge" is that charge rate tapers dramatically near high

SOC. When using the Supercharger network, they're spaced such that you don't have to fill 'em up. As a result your charge stop is much shorter.

For instance, at a Supercharger you might just stay 30 minutes to get 50% (150 miles) of charge (if you come in near a low SOC), which sounds much better than saying that an empty-to-full Supercharge takes ~1.5 hours.

Martini said:
For operating cost, I would delete the second "approx" as it is redundant.

Well the cost per gallon makes a different set of assumptions (such as 30 MPG), so they aren't really redundant...but you're right--I'll try to merge these two.

Martini said:
The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are claims for a specific car (the same car or two different ones?)

Same car.

martini said:
while the price is given for a couple of different configurations.

They are all prices for the performance version. The only difference is in options (sunroof, sound upgrade, etc.)

martini said:
You should give specifications either for the specific vehicle displayed or use Tesla's numbers as they give them.

I am using Tesla's numbers as they give them. Just like in auto shows, when they give a "base price" and a "fully equipped" price. Only difference here is I'm using a base performance price, not base 40 kWh price.

martini said:
The black bar containing the text "MODEL S" divides the Tesla "T" logo and makes the bottom part of the logo look like a bit of an orphan. You might consider using transparency to clarify this.

I'll fiddle with this.

mknox said:
Is it actually the quickest American sedan? GM's official 0-60 numbers for the Cadillac CTS-V is 3.9 seconds (with the standard 551 HP V8).

Motor Trend and another article (was it Road & Track? Car and Driver?) confirmed this. Google "Model S quickest American Sedan". 3.9 s for the CTS-V is a marketing number. From the comments I've seen from reputable car magazines, the P85 is quicker.

arondaniel said:
Good job on the poster, very informative. Have fun at the auto show. Where exactly is it? I think I'll be in town that weekend, but will be a hard sell for my wife.

Thanks! I believe it will be in Carrollton, VA...but not quite sure yet. It's probably not going to be some gigantic show...just a local area car show.

arondaniel said:
Listing the specs for model s is kinda tricky, it looks like your specs on the poster are for MSP, and your car is a MS 80kwh?

I have the non-perf 85 kWh model. I have no problem showing specs for the performance version. It's a car show. It's about getting respect for Tesla and EVs in general. I'm going to post the numbers for the top of the line model. If someone asks, I'll tell them mine is the non-perf model. Not a big deal IMHO.

bbmertz said:
I would prefer to keep the middle text box, but revise the third bullet to read as "Free access to Tesla supercharger network." Overall, great work, Todd!

Thanks--I'll revise this.

ToddRLockwood said:
The only thing I would change is the Operating Cost. 3-cents/mile won't mean much to the average person. Instead, I would give them the average cost to go 300 miles.

Hmmm...good point. I think the 90cents/gallon sure makes sense...but yes, cost for 300 miles seems better than cost per mile!

vfx said:
box at bottom change?

Lemme incorporate these 500 other changes and I'll give it a try :).

celter said:
I think you should use the same colour on the cars.

Me too. Alas, I live in a world with limited available staged photos of the Model S--and unfortunately don't have that luxury. I think it's OK to show two different colors though.

Last edited:
We're designing similar stuff right now for Tesla Owners Illinois group ... and the one question we've come up with is ... are groups that are completely unrelated to TMC allowed to use the company logo, etc.?
Copyright stuff?

From a design perspective, should the Roadster be included?

Can you somehow incorporate the theme of the superchargers?

Otherwise brilliant!

Some nits:

Operating cost is more than fuel cost. Tires and maintenance are part of Operating Cost.

Fuel cost: At the EPA 380 Wh/mile rating, and EPA $0.11/kWh spec, that's 4.2 cents per mile.

The 3.9 second time has not been reported by anyone else. Edmunds tested 0-60 with and without rollout and got 4.3 secs without rollout and 4.0 secs with.

Fuel Economy: EPA rating is 89 MPGe. From where did you get 95MPGe?

The 300 mile range claim should not be used, IMO. No-one gets 300 miles in Range mode in real life. How many even get 265?

Who cares about drag co-efficients?

Everyone knows California is in the US right?
Sadly, no.

- - - Updated - - -

@Todd - One more thought on the pictures. If I were doing it, I'd be have the spoiler on the Sig and the 19" wheels on the blue (or vice-versa as you prefer). The idea being to let people see both flavors and the more observant visitors will ask about it, and indirectly educate others. In short, it's like an easter egg for some visitors and an excuse for you to talk about it in the presence of the general crowd.