Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2016 Model S this weekend from dealership - need advice ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. How is it refreshed when the taillights and headlights are the same.
So now the headlights and tail lights are a mandatory component for a refresh. Got it. šŸ˜‚

Part of the reason using that effing word every time there is a change is stupid.
Straw man. Nobody in this conversation is saying anything of the sort.

The palladium is the most ā€œREFRESHEDā€ in a single update in the history of the model s. Yet some people wouldnā€™t call it a refresh until the headlights changed.
I didnā€™t ask what ā€œsome peopleā€ think. I asked what YOU think - is a car with new body panels, drivetrain, and interior introduced after a significant market hiatus a ā€œrefresh model?ā€

Reactions: SilverGS
So now the headlights and tail lights are a mandatory component for a refresh. Got it. šŸ˜‚

Straw man. Nobody in this conversation is saying anything of the sort.

I didnā€™t ask what ā€œsome peopleā€ think. I asked what YOU think - is a car with new body panels, drivetrain, and interior introduced after a significant market hiatus a ā€œrefresh model?ā€
Itā€™s a whole new effing car to me even with the same lights. Other people disagree. They are allover this forum.

Refresh, phase, iteration, significant update, not sure it matters much but there have been significant updates as well as continual tweaks and changes.

This is one of the better descriptions of the differences, also useful to see the market prices

The Teslatap article mentioned earlier shows the model names but doesnā€™t really explain the changes.

a frustrating update: I flew in to see the car, test drove and felt like it was a good buy- then when I sat down with the ā€œ closerā€ about some of the issues, he wouldnā€™t budge on anything.

For its age, it was in good shape- but there were some issues that need to be fixed:
Dead bug in tail light
Low tread on all 4 tires
Visible rust on rotor blades
Visible rust / Cracking brake pads
Loud whine of seat motors
Sagging water seal rear drivers door

He said I was unrealistic ( all I was asking for was the advertised price with my own financing ) and he said no, I had to use theirs ( for kickback obviously) and I had to pay $300.00 for a ā€œmandatory theft warranty ā€œ

They gave off a smarmy vibe and so I just flew back home.

The only reason Iā€™m stuck on an older model is because of the affordability and the fact that I donā€™t like the rear display. I donā€™t want my kids to have access to a delicate screen.

The car was manufactured in 12/16 so I believe it had all the cameras needed to upgrade to FSD if wanted . ( but I would be fine with enhanced auto pilot )

Anyhow, thanks for the great info and for helping me navigate this process.

Good question. How is it refreshed when the taillights and headlights are the same. That isnā€™t enough for ā€œsome peopleā€ to consider it a refresh. Part of the reason using that effing word every time there is a change is stupid. The palladium is the most ā€œREFRESHEDā€ in a single update in the history of the model s. Yet some people wouldnā€™t call it a refresh until the headlights changed.
Model S has new headlights and tail lights. X now has the new headlights.

a frustrating update: I flew in to see the car, test drove and felt like it was a good buy- then when I sat down with the ā€œ closerā€ about some of the issues, he wouldnā€™t budge on anything.

For its age, it was in good shape- but there were some issues that need to be fixed:
Dead bug in tail light
Low tread on all 4 tires

He said I was unrealistic ( all I was asking for was the advertised price with my own financing ) and he said no, I had to use theirs ( for kickback obviously) and I had to pay $300.00 for a ā€œmandatory theft warranty ā€œ

The only reason Iā€™m stuck on an older model is because of the affordability and the fact that I donā€™t like the rear display. I donā€™t want my kids to have access to a delicate screen.

The car was manufactured in 12/16 so I believe it had all the cameras needed to upgrade to FSD if wanted . ( but I would be fine with enhanced auto pilot )

Good on you for walking away. They probably thought they had you locked in since you flew in to see the car.

no refreshes, no model years. your legacy auto terminology is too slow for how fast Teslas vehicles are updated. sorry bro.
Some changes are bigger than others. Wether someone wants to call them ā€œrefreshesā€ or not, is irrelevant IMO. There are certainly some changes I looked for before buying my 2017 MS.

Ie: HW2, updated battery, new front end.

Dead bug in tail light
Low tread on all 4 tires

Wise move.

I wouldnā€™t be too concerned about rust on rotors though. That usually comes off after a few hard braking events.

What was the asking price and how many miles if I may ask?

Reactions: navguy12
I wouldnā€™t be too concerned about rust on rotors though. That usually comes off after a few hard braking events.
Only for light surface rust. If it stays on too long, it will pit your rotors, won't come off easily, and will cause pulsing under breaking and visible "spotting". If that happens, your only options are turning them or replacement.

Low tread on all 4 tires
I'd say ur unrealistic for all these too šŸ˜…
Its a used car...

Regarding brakes, what exactly do u mean by "blades"?.. Actual braking surface or the fins in between the surfaces..
Rotors are always rusty in general n more in wet weather, on my X they rust up in one night after rain.
Depending on a driver, rust could be there on braking surface n not clear up if regen is used a lot...

Dec 2016 build.. it likely has FUSC unless Tesla took ownership after a lease.. it could be gem for many
feedback: OP seems to be looking for a new car with used car pricing
Itā€™s not unreasonable to expect a car to be in decent shape. Itā€™s also not unreasonable to want to use your own financing and decline dealerships addons.

Personally I would recommend against anyone buying a legacy S/X, but thatā€™s a whole other issue

Reactions: Evee