Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please advise : used model s / new model 3 and quarterly incentives to “hold out for”.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I’ve been looking for a used model 2 under the 40k range for quite some time and have had a very hard time finding one without a sun roof (my sister had hers leak and it was a nightmare.)

I keep running into the same issue where I’ll find one I like and then there are a lot of “ad ons” the dealer won’t budge on. Like anti theft programs and a higher price for not financing with them . (I have USAA and won’t get a better financing deal elsewhere.) The model S listed at 38k becomes 44k before my very eyes. I’m looking at the private owner listings but I haven’t found one within my price range without a moonroof.

Because of this, I’ve been considering a base model S. I read the range is around 260 and that it’s locked via a program so it may be unlocked later ?

I’m conflicted because I like the size of the model S more and the indash MCU. And even if the battery does go out, once it’s replaced, it’s kind of like a new car.

But a hen I test drove a model 3- I liked the idea of “ the price is what the price is.” And the sales associate said to wait until September to order for “ unknown incentives.” Does anyone have any idea what they might be or when they will be revealed ? I’m not in a hurry to get a new car at all- but I am getting discouraged with the reality of negotiations at a used car dealership. Is there anyway I can just pay someone to negotiate for me ? I’d rather pay someone 1k than give a dealership extra $ for “extras” .

Thanks for any advice.

You're going to have a very hard time finding a hard top Model S. The "all Glass roof" option is less prone to leaking than the sunroof from the older Model S. The best time to buy from Tesla is at the end of each quarter (sept 30th coming up) since they are trying to unload their inventory. This mostly impacts new pricing and takes used prices a few weeks to catch up. Another incoming factor on used Model 3 prices is the pending highland update. That will put negative pricing pressure on the soon to be outdated Model 3's.

You're going to have a very hard time finding a hard top Model S. The "all Glass roof" option is less prone to leaking than the sunroof from the older Model S. The best time to buy from Tesla is at the end of each quarter (sept 30th coming up) since they are trying to unload their inventory. This mostly impacts new pricing and takes used prices a few weeks to catch up. Another incoming factor on used Model 3 prices is the pending highland update. That will put negative pricing pressure on the soon to be outdated Model 3's.

Maybe. I'm considering an inventory Model S LR or Plaid too. I am a little concerned with the new Standard model coming out soon it may impact their discounting strategy for LR and Plaid. I can see them pointing to that option rather than discounting LR models.

Maybe. I'm considering an inventory Model S LR or Plaid too. I am a little concerned with the new Standard model coming out soon it may impact their discounting strategy for LR and Plaid. I can see them pointing to that option rather than discounting LR models.
If you're open to it, you can always try to find a showroom/ demonstrator Model S LR or Plaid with some miles on it etc. I would go to a store and talk to someone and let them know youre looking for that specifically and to text you when they see something come up.

edit*

no matter what a showroom car or a demo car will have discounts on it and they cycle those every quarter

Reactions: BrisbaneB
I had a 2016 S75D (sw locked to 70 kw battery), with a sliding glass roof. It survived 6 years in Pacific Northwest rain outside without any leaks. I was afraid of earlier horrors, but the worst I got is the need to lubricate the guide rails on that. So on a facelift, seems to have been fixed. A common failure is the rear hatch latch motor - just schedule a replacement proactively, as they go bad every 5 or so years. I changed my MCU to upgraded. Other than that it just maintenance and tires. With dealers - just leave your offer on the table. It is a mixed market, they might take your offer.
As for base model 3 - they are solid and nimble machines, built tighter and better than earlier model S. I personally would not consider a model S older than march 2019, where it got raven and better seats. Model 3 seats are great, pre 2019 (march) seats in S are either terrible or bearable, but still a shame for long trips.
Suspension-wise S is softer, even on springs. pre Raven air suspension feels wooly compared to springs on s, and any model 3.
From maintenance standpoint, my S required a new set of tires every 20k miles. I feel that I might do 50k on model 3 as it is lighter and I already surpassed 20k on it. S is more family friendly, larger hatch, can take bicycles easier and mine had a 3rd rear-facing row for the little ones. They're good till about 2nd grade. On older S es the roof rack is loud, and it is amazingly quiet on model 3 if you're a biker/skier.
In the snow, I liked S more, as it was more fun and less intervening, allowing for some sliding, whereas model3 is very aggressive in policing traction at highway speeds. Ice slush is no fun in model 3, as it intervenes too early and ruins the smoothness.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: stevej119