Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S. Would you purchase again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every button and switch cost $, add complexity, require additional wiring, require someone to design them, install them, stock replacement parts, logically design a layout, confirm compatibility with every other button, need their own signage, take up space on the dash, etc. It simply is hugely expensive. In Elon speak, the best switch is no switch.
I relate to this for my recently upgraded home theater system. I used to need 4 separate remote controls to turn on, adjust volume, switch channels, switch modes, adjust brightness etc. Now I have a smart system that simply does everything on a simple Apple Tv remote with only 8 buttons. Voice control is excellent and search is almost instant.
I believe the future of the automobile will be something less difficult to build, less expensive to build and less labor intensive to build. This is the direction Tesla is going.
I do agree, that for some, lots of buttons will give the owner an Ego boost.
Not really talking about buttons but real useful technology that I use every drive. HUD and 360 view are extremely helpful. Not sure why Tesla wouldn't be able to offer them in a tech package and make money on it. Again, other than battery and charging, there have been very few innovations with the Model S and X. In fact, I would argue that the tech is worse with that dumb horn and some of the software glitches.

Again, the battery and charging is a big deal and I am not a Tesla hater. Just saying, I place a lot of value on the every day tech that I use with BMW.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I do agree, that for some, lots of buttons will give the owner an Ego boost.
You sound like you enjoy being driven? Many folks who want to drive and keep their eyes on the road prefer at least some switches and buttons. I find it ergonomic to reach and make the change I want, rather than having to look and carefully target what pixels I touch. Some Model S owners like simplicity, not having to drill into a non-tactile sub-menu because Tesla chose to "update" their seat heat underneath the main screen, etc.? I don't want to scare people off these cars, but buying them means joining a program with some OTA economizing (USS?), and entry into a data pool not aimed at helping you drive, but instead proving you can't. Elon runs the place, "all input is error" and FSD is supposed to do it.

I can put up with the above and still prefer Tesla to BMW/Porsche. A lot of good things the Germans would never do, like aforementioned acceleration updates or MSU2 screen upgrades, are part of this program. When progress with Tesla's cars is made it isn't kept behind a curtain, and then $$ dosed out. Acceleration improves by whole seconds. Efficiency and the guts of these cars go beyond what competition has come up with, let alone what they are willing to include.

Glad BMW is joining NACS, but I've done ~5 Tesla door handles and if the best they can do is try and tell me I'll have more, I'll probably stick, And, honestly, even Elon's running around with Alex Jones isn't the turn-off BMW has been.

Tesla has one very important button, the microphone that enables 180 or so voice commands.

It's hard to believe BMW is as bad as you say, I'm fact I'm trying not to visualize your analogy too much, but I will take your word for it.

I think Taycan salesmen started pushing voice as an alternative to touch, too. I test drove one.

Porsche's schtick about only brake pedal regen makes no sense to me. If it's about speed, give me braking as I lift. Tight commutes experience many sudden brakes from people in front. Lifting in the Tesla got braking (regen) started early for me in several instances where the time it takes to get over the brake would leave more braking to be done in less distance. It's simply less stressful, and ironically faster than Porsche.

Railing on BMW:
-i3's 2.7 gal tank and 155mm tires. Heavy compliance mentality.
-Oliver Zipse's past EV trash talk, which reflect a board out of touch.
[political] For the environment, German industry has been terrible. Nukes off, run coal hard, VW telling Newsweek nitrogen oxides aren't harmful (Not what Stuttgart's citizens said). I'm not convinced free pollution, as moral code, has been abandoned. Signs are improving (CARB agreement: Ford/Honda/VW/BMW), but a dollar toward Tesla isn't going to fund Alex Jones like a dollar toward VW/BMW/Mercedes will fund the Association for Automotive Innovation; AAI - the anti CAFE lobby. These co's still have a fundamentally different mission. That can become part of the decision.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Honestly I didn’t know how much I missed the USS and its accuracy until I got my Tayan Turbo. Zero worries parking and even has a front bumper camera!
Every time I drive a Taycan I lament that Porsche hasn’t seen sense enough to offer one-pedal driving. It’s madness. So many good things with the car and we all know a software update is all it needs to address that issue. Porsche and software… not on good terms in general.

Reactions: TBrownTX and SO16
Every time I drive a Taycan I lament that Porsche hasn’t seen sense enough to offer one-pedal driving. It’s madness. So many good things with the car and we all know a software update is all it needs to address that issue. Porsche and software… not on good terms in general.

if we could put the Tesla UI/software minus the Tesla Vision parking into the Taycan it would be the perfect car

Reactions: ks1972
I wish I had the money to afford a Taycan Turbo or Turbo S, but those once configured are well north of $170k to probably about $200k with a range less than 250 miles. I am happy with my purchase of my Model S Plaid after the price drops in Sept and might buy another for my wife once I pay this one down a bit next year. One thing I will agree on is that it needs a front bumper cam and a true 360 view. My BMW X3M Comp had it and it was awesome to have that kind of 360 view and confidence when pulling into a parking spot, especially to see the curb ahead. I am hoping the HW4 MS's can retrofit the front camera if they ever release it with a front camera. I would 100% pay to have that camera installed afterwards.

Reactions: WilliamG and dsm363
I wish I had the money to afford a Taycan Turbo or Turbo S, but those once configured are well north of $170k to probably about $200k with a range less than 250 miles. I am happy with my purchase of my Model S Plaid after the price drops in Sept and might buy another for my wife once I pay this one down a bit next year. One thing I will agree on is that it needs a front bumper cam and a true 360 view. My BMW X3M Comp had it and it was awesome to have that kind of 360 view and confidence when pulling into a parking spot, especially to see the curb ahead. I am hoping the HW4 MS's can retrofit the front camera if they ever release it with a front camera. I would 100% pay to have that camera installed afterwards.

Plenty of good deals on used Taycans. Got my 2020 Turbo with 8k miles, 2.5 years of CPO warranty left, 190k msrp, full ppf wrap on car, Burmester, ceramic brakes etc for $93700.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: I still think the MS (especially now) provides the most value for money when compared with competitors in its class. You're getting significantly more power and more range for less money than a similarly-spec'd Lucid Air, Mercedes EQS, or Porsche Taycan. Granted, those competitors do beat MS on overall comfort (but in my view, the incremental gains in comfort don't provide enough of a marginal benefit to change my purchase decision). And, as you mentioned, the build quality can be hit or miss. My 23 MS came with a paint run, but that was promptly fixed by Tesla Service and the car looks fantastic. Service is still a growing pain for Tesla, but I've had positive experiences from my past few visits. At the end of the day, I'd buy another MS because I value range, power, and technology more than incremental gains in comfort and better customer service.
Totally agree Anson. Their drop in price made me take a hard look at it last week and I really enjoyed how it handled, plus it gets hot in the summer time how here; constantly in double digits and having that extra vent, which the back passenger can regulate, made it a done deal for me.

I have a 21' Plaid, it's my third Model S. Lease 1 every 3 years. Have also had 2 model X's and Y's. I have always leased all of them and so glad I did. The last 6 months I had them, they felt like fragile wiggly pieces of crap. Something I was happy to hand back in and get a new replacement. Otherwise, they are great for those 3 years and thats why I have had so many. Everytime my lease comes up, I entertain the thought of a different DD, but usually always go back to Model S. I have a handful of other cars that are for fun, as a big time petrol head since birth.

Reactions: DBV1
Yes. Coming from a 2018 75D. Since the UFSC was transferable along with the huge price cuts since Jan, it was a no brainer. Increase in satisfaction with the incremental changes like door pockets, coat hangers, auto-up windows on lock, etc. Audio system is a welcome upgrade from my former S

Could be in the minority but I love the yoke. Tesla moving the public towards hover cars which I don't believe will have a steering wheel.

After market front bumper cameras are available ... would be better if built in, but ...

Reactions: aerodyne