Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S. Would you purchase again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, after going through 2 Model S Plaids, last one completing it's buy back today, there are better options available for the price for a certain buyer. One that doesn't travel outside of their city much, just uses it as a daily commuter like me and doesn't need Tesla super-charging network ATM (know it will be opened up soon). I have had a 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo the past 2 months and it's a much better car than a Tesla, at the same price point used. Mine had 8k miles, CPO with 2.5 years of warranty, Burmester audio which is the best system available for any car, ceramic brakes, full leather, even a full PPF car wrap by previous owner. All for $93,700. Cheaper than re-ordering my Plaid and hoping for zero vibrations. The EV market is awful for used EVs, and can get a steal on a Taycan. My MSRP was $190k for mine. At least look into it

Honestly, after going through 2 Model S Plaids, last one completing it's buy back today, there are better options available for the price for a certain buyer. One that doesn't travel outside of their city much, just uses it as a daily commuter like me and doesn't need Tesla super-charging network ATM (know it will be opened up soon). I have had a 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo the past 2 months and it's a much better car than a Tesla, at the same price point used. Mine had 8k miles, CPO with 2.5 years of warranty, Burmester audio which is the best system available for any car, ceramic brakes, full leather, even a full PPF car wrap by previous owner. All for $93,700. Cheaper than re-ordering my Plaid and hoping for zero vibrations. The EV market is awful for used EVs, and can get a steal on a Taycan. My MSRP was $190k for mine. At least look into it
I've seen you sing the praises of the Taycan here a number of times, and I agree if the primary concern is a sporting use case, it's probably best. I didn't like it better for the charger network (obvious, as you pointed out), the interior feels notably more cramped inside, and the cargo space & hatch of the Model S is substantially larger/more useful. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but for those with a primary use case of "rapid commuting" and you're going to put in some miles/people/stuff, I think the Model S is superior for that, which is why I didn't go with the Taycan. For me, there are many days I drive 100 miles, and probably 2 times a month 500-1,000 for business engagements. Of course, if a customer wants to buy new, the price of a new Taycan is pretty absurd for the fast models, but as you noted the used prices are more reasonable.

Last edited:
I'd buy the S Refresh again if I were going back in time; that is, if I could do it over again, I would buy the same car.

However, when I go to buy my next car (likely in '24), it will most likely be a 7-Series. I've driven the i7 and it's amazing inside and out; the fit, finish, and materials are top-notch. I'd strongly consider the gas 760 and see which I like better as a 7 driving experience. Essentially all of my driving is less than 20 miles at a time and we have a huge SUV for longer trips so I don't think too much about range or charge network; it would come down to which I think drives better, living with 1 or 2-pedal driving, instant torque vs the gas torque curve; relative weight sensation, etc. (I'd strongly consider another Model S if Tesla gives the S more basic luxury like massaging seats and soft close doors and nicer interior materials; I realize the chance of that is slim to none.)

If I were to buy a non-Tesla EV I would wait until they implement the NACS adapter to be able to use the Tesla network natively. Also, by that time, 2025ish, I assume that more companies will be investing in NACS charging locations to compete with the Tesla network. I would think other companies would start adding their own charging networks now to try and gain money in the EV charging area seeing that the NACS is the standard chosen for North America after 90% of the auto manufactures have stated they are adopting it starting in 2025.

On a side note, I saw on X yesterday that they are unofficially "officially" looking to add ambient lighting, front bumper camera and a new yoke steering wheel that will have the horn in the center. The only thing I care about in that is the front bumper camera. That would make the new high fidelity parking view more accurate and visually on screen I would be able to see curbs and anything in front of me at low speeds. I loved that view on my X3M Comp BMW.

Paid $110k and freezing left leg in winter. How can Tesla not fix a simple sealing issue 25 years old Honda is warmer than Tesla 2022

Love the car no complaints at all except 3 months of the year my left leg is freezing any temp below 35 you feel really bad cold air blowing

For that reason I not buying Tesla again until I Know 100%is they fix simple sealing on doors

You're getting loads more power and more range for less money than a similarly-spec'd Lucid Air, Mercedes EQS, or Porsche Taycan. Granted, those competitors do beat MS on overall comfort.
So I got my model S in November and I posted the question. I’m very satisfied though my frunk sometimes doesn’t unlock and have an appt for that. It’s like my 2020 model 3. Small problems here and there but love the car overall

This resonates so strongly! I just had a 2023 Taycan 4S for an extended weekend demo test drive and I was completely blown away...

I wrote a review here if anyone is interested in reading it. 2023 Porsche Taycan 4S review - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

A fairer comparison (size and space wise) would be a Turismo version and the charging network infrastructure issue will be resolved in a year or so. As you mentioned already, anyone considering a Model S should look closely at a used Taycan as well. It definitely is a very strong alternative.

Reactions: Propofoln
IMG_0742.png

I am so upset that Elon took away the park distance sensors and radar. The cars drive so much worse with the horrendous vision system. You also have to deal with the vision parking system which is beyond worthless. Huge step back.

I have owned two Plaids. I would never buy another Tesla unless they actually implement or activate radar and a 100% working front and rear park distance system .

I highly doubt a single camera in the front bumper will work on the sides of the car as well as park sensors. He should have never removed these necessary parts from the S and X.

If they reinstate FUSC and treat their legacy customers like we funded the company, I would consider buying a PLAID. Iif they don't I may end up with a Porsche once they switch to the NACS charging standard.

Tesla had a customer for life, I almost feel like a traitor putting this out on TMC, but we used to be treated like a premium customer, which was one of the main reasons I bought 4 Teslas (S,S,S,X) over the past 12 years, was they didn't treat us like maggots.

Things that would keep me with Tesla and should only be limited to the S & X:

1. Free Premium Connectivity -free on my last 3 S's
2. Free Charging -free on my last 3 S's & free on my new X after haggling. I don't have any more cars to transfer, so this is shot.
3. Free FSD -I will never pay for this, it should be included on their flagship cars - S & X, come on Tesla get some sales leadership and own this market!!! This would be so simple to do- stop being grubby to your founding buyers who have been committed to Tesla from day one. you may even get some of the Mongol Horde to move up to your premium products.
4. Equal loaner for service - they used to give me a brand new S, you have beg like the maggot you are to get one now.
5. Service - I wont even tell you how good it used to be before the Mongol Horde showed up for the 3 & Y and overwhelmed the service department and started abusing some of the privileges we used to have.
6. Sensors in the doors on X - now I understand why everyone was bitching... my doors have erectile dysfunction and wont open fully, so frustrating to see Tesla get this grubby. I wont buy another X due to this alone.

Porsche offered to let me take a WEEK LONG test drive.... reminds me of the early days of Tesla, before they became masters of grubbiness.

If you think I used grubby too much, substitute the word you like below:
This Tesla maggot grew up and may "fly" away, that Porsche offer floats around in my head daily, I may just go see what they offer for my trade, I promise you it's better than what Tesla will offer this maggot. You guys are idiots for getting excited about an led strip I can install in about 5 minutes...

Last edited:
If they reinstate FUSC and treat their legacy customers like we funded the company, I would consider buying a PLAID. Iif they don't I may end up with a Porsche once they switch to the NACS charging standard.

Tesla had a customer for life, I almost feel like a traitor putting this out on TMC, but we used to be treated like a premium customer, which was one of the main reasons I bought 4 Teslas (S,S,S,X) over the past 12 years, was they didn't treat us like maggots.

Things that would keep me with Tesla and should only be limited to the S & X:

1. Free Premium Connectivity -free on my last 3 S's
2. Free Charging -free on my last 3 S's & free on my new X after haggling. I don't have any more cars to transfer, so this is shot.
3. Free FSD -I will never pay for this, it should be included on their flagship cars - S & X, come on Tesla get some sales leadership and own this market!!! This would be so simple to do- stop being grubby to your founding buyers who have been committed to Tesla from day one. you may even get some of the Mongol Horde to move up to your premium products.
4. Equal loaner for service - they used to give me a brand new S, you have beg like the maggot you are to get one now.
5. Service - I wont even tell you how good it used to be before the Mongol Horde showed up for the 3 & Y and overwhelmed the service department and started abusing some of the privileges we used to have.
6. Sensors in the doors on X - now I understand why everyone was bitching... my doors have erectile dysfunction and wont open fully, so frustrating to see Tesla get this grubby. I wont buy another X due to this alone.

Porsche offered to let me take a WEEK LONG test drive.... reminds me of the early days of Tesla, before they became masters of grubbiness.

If you think I used grubby too much, substitute the word you like below:
This Tesla maggot grew up and may "fly" away, that Porsche offer floats around in my head daily, I may just go see what they offer for my trade, I promise you it's better than what Tesla will offer this maggot. You guys are idiots for getting excited about an led strip I can install in about 5 minutes...
Same story (we had / have 4 S’ and 1 X) and same feeling from me!!
S - ‘15 ‘17 ‘19 current ‘21 & current X - ‘17 (FUSC & FSD)

Paid for FSD 3 times and NEVER AGAIN!!

Same story (we had / have 4 S’ and 1 X) and same feeling from me!!
S - ‘15 ‘17 ‘19 current ‘21 & current X - ‘17 (FUSC & FSD)

Paid for FSD 3 times and NEVER AGAIN!!
Forgot to add, they also came with steering wheel stalks.... this haptic button crap has gone way over the top. I was at the car wash yesterday trying to figure out how to put the X in neutral, it was FING stupid......

Just found out about this, only had the X for about a month....so learning moment..

Last edited:
Reactions: boonedocks
I take it you don’t look at your service manual or anything
This is funny, I should have to open a service manual to put the car in neutral.... I have been using this OS for 12 years and never had to open the service manual, The UI should make it clear,,, do you think the car wash guys knew how to do it? I had to show them too and they have the added burden of a language barrier, guy who drove it in the bay has been in the US for one week, had never seen a X before and almost fell down when the Falcon wing doors opened up... then he just had the biggest SHIZ eating grin on his face and couldn't stop looking.... then his manager came over and showed him how to close them.. He drove the car out (after his manager came over and showed him how to shift it from the screen)... he couldn't figure it out either...

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'd consider a luxury brand if you feel entitled to luxury car benefits. Yes, the S and X are Tesla's flagship vehicles, but Tesla has no intentions of being a luxury brand.

Its clearly stated mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. And if you guys think it's terrible with the 3/Y, wait until the Cybertruck and the next-gen platform arrive in full force.

Now, I get the experience used to be better, and rightfully so, but Tesla will not adjust to a few S/X owners; you will need to change your view to align with Tesla's mission and set reasonable expectations if you want to continue to support the brand.

Signed, the Mongol Horde

• Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'd consider a luxury brand if you feel entitled to luxury car benefits. Yes, the S and X are Tesla's flagship vehicles, but Tesla has no intentions of being a luxury brand.

Its clearly stated mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. And if you guys think it's terrible with the 3/Y, wait until the Cybertruck and the next-gen platform arrive in full force.

Now, I get the experience used to be better, and rightfully so, but Tesla will not adjust to a few S/X owners; you will need to change your view to align with Tesla's mission and set reasonable expectations if you want to continue to support the brand.

Signed, the Mongol Horde
I am sure the Roadster reservation holders will love the mission that is marching the company to mediocrity.
Signed
Future Porsche Owner