Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2016 Model S this weekend from dealership - need advice ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally found a model S within my budget and I plan to go to the dealership this weekend to close the deal. I haven’t been able to find a Tesla mechanic that I can pay to check it out at the dealership and the closest show room / service center doesn’t have service appointments for 3 months.

Can anyone make suggestions on what I should I inspect on the car to make sure that I’m not overlooking any areas that will be expensive or difficult to repair right after purchase?

Thanks !

I finally found a model S within my budget and I plan to go to the dealership this weekend to close the deal. I haven’t been able to find a Tesla mechanic that I can pay to check it out at the dealership and the closest show room / service center doesn’t have service appointments for 3 months.

Can anyone make suggestions on what I should I inspect on the car to make sure that I’m not overlooking any areas that will be expensive or difficult to repair right after purchase?

Thanks !
big costs are

main battery
drive units
air suspension
hvac

Reactions: BrisbaneB
Correct, but I don’t consider the AP upgrade to be a refresh.
Sure, i guess technical refresh is more correct but it matters for some buyers
I got a Sept 2016 n regretted not researching more n being stuck with non-upgradable AP1...
Don't really care for AP but dashcam/sentry is something i like a lot being built into the car.

Also not sure about S but X got a lot of under the hood upgrades during AP2 as well...

Personally I wouldn’t buy one that old from a dealership. I’d just wait and buy used from tesla. Also remember the Legacy Teslas don’t always get latest software updates. I’d be sure and research everything about what it has and doesn’t have. There are always more Tesla’s out there and as much as you think this may be a deal you will find more.

Reactions: dsm363 and Evee
Thanks everyone- very helpful. How would I know if it’s a refresh? I intended to purchase one from Tesla but I couldn’t find any with a solid roof except this one - and it’s in my budget. It has cameras in the door frame so my understanding is that I should be able to upgrade any software later on ?

Thanks everyone- very helpful. How would I know if it’s a refresh? I intended to purchase one from Tesla but I couldn’t find any with a solid roof except this one - and it’s in my budget. It has cameras in the door frame so my understanding is that I should be able to upgrade any software later on ?
Even a 2012 Model S gets software updates. Of course features that require hardware can only be added if the hardware is already there. The only recent major refresh if you want to call it that is in 2021 Palladium version. It did get a new look in 2016.

there are no refreshes, Tesla constantly updates the cars. there is and has never been a refresh car thats actually called a refresh, its just sad terminology from legacy auto trying to fit into Tesla, which is impossible, just like model years.

if your car has the 8 camera setup, then you can update it to FSD. if thats what you are looking for then go for it!

there are no refreshes, Tesla constantly updates the cars. there is and has never been a refresh car thats actually called a refresh, its just sad terminology from legacy auto trying to fit into Tesla, which is impossible, just like model years.
It's semantics but can safely call the Palladium a big update to the platform without it being a completely new design. It is largely an unchanged car design that's 14 years old at this point from design to today. Lots of improvements over the years though of course.

Reactions: Evee
It's semantics but can safely call the Palladium a big update to the platform without it being a completely new design. It is largely an unchanged car design that's 14 years old at this point from design to today. Lots of improvements over the years though of course.
Honestly, mechanically the Palladium is a pretty comprehensive refresh. On par with what you would see from a new generation with legacy makes.

The unusual part is they hardly changed the exterior.

The most visible changes in the 2016 Spring refresh was the loss of the old nose cone and addition of a standard center console. The update from AP1 to AP2 happened in the Fall of 2016. Whether or not Tesla uses the term refresh, it’s widely used by the Tesla community.

A owner new to Tesla, esp looking to buy an older MS or MX from a Non Tesla dealer, is likely going to regret the purchase unless you do some research.

Here is a good place for the OP to start:

TL, DR;

You want 90 or 100D, FUSC, and MCU2. If the car has MCU1, make sure the recall has been done on the eMMC chip. If not, get a discount to cover part of the MCU2 upgrade.