Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2016 Model S this weekend from dealership - need advice ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are no refreshes, Tesla constantly updates the cars. there is and has never been a refresh car thats actually called a refresh, its just sad terminology from legacy auto trying to fit into Tesla, which is impossible, just like model years.
This is just completely untrue.

The early 2016 refresh (which was and is how it’s been referred to for almost 8 years now) made a host of major vehicle changes all at once. The cars are so substantially different mechanically that Tesla maintains a separate parts catalog for the 2016-2020 generation vehicle.

The 2021+ refresh went even further, with fundamental changes to the body, battery, drive units, a completely revised interior, etc etc.

You might not like the word for reasons unknown but that doesn’t change the fact that that’s exactly what these were - refreshes.

This is just completely untrue.

The early 2016 refresh (which was and is how it’s been referred to for almost 8 years now) made a host of major vehicle changes all at once. The cars are so substantially different mechanically that Tesla maintains a separate parts catalog for the 2016-2020 generation vehicle.

The 2021+ refresh went even further, with fundamental changes to the body, battery, drive units, a completely revised interior, etc etc.

You might not like the word for reasons unknown but that doesn’t change the fact that that’s exactly what these were - refreshes.
nope, sorry, show me teslas website that calls it a refresh, show me a window sticker, show me an order agreement that says refresh.

saying they "refreshed" the car is fine, calling the car a refresh model is not accurate and dumb and sorry.

You guys can both be right. Tesla does constantly introduce smaller changes, but they also have a tendency to lump more significant changes together. They're willing to introduce smaller changes mid model year, but things that actually change the look of the car or change significant functionality tend to be clustered together

With the model S, the big changes were the 2016 update (to bring it in line with the recently launched model X), the 2019 Raven update, and then 2021 refresh

With Model 3, they actually started following a model year paradigm a bit. It got updated with model year 2021 to become more inline with the Model Y (heat pump etc), and now the incoming Highland update which will likely launch for model year 2024

Model Y will likely receive its highland-style update for model year 2025

Reactions: Dylan McNamee
I just won't call it a refresh until Tesla does, it's new otherwise. something can always be new, but if everything is labeled a refresh, then which one is the refresh??? it literally makes no sense especially considering how often these changes are made to the cars.
As ucmndd said, pretty much no car company actually cars their cars a "refresh".

2016 refresh, 2019 refresh, and 2021 refresh make it pretty clear what one is talking about that.

the problem is, there are changes in between these main updates that fanboys consider refreshes as well......
So at least in this press release, they do call the 2016 version the "Model S Refresh". The latter ones were called "Updated Model S" in the releases.

Either way, it's pretty clear Tesla considers them distinct entities worthy of a designation, rather than the pretty minor updates they do in between.

Reactions: Evee and ucmndd
So at least in this press release, they do call the 2016 version the "Model S Refresh". The latter ones were called "Updated Model S" in the releases.

Either way, it's pretty clear Tesla considers them distinct entities worthy of a designation, rather than the pretty minor updates they do in between.
Boom. So the 2016 with no nosecone can be called a refresh. Boom. Shakalaka. Thank you.

there are no refreshes, Tesla constantly updates the cars. there is and has never been a refresh car thats actually called a refresh, its just sad terminology from legacy auto trying to fit into Tesla, which is impossible, just like model years.

Boom. So the 2016 with no nosecone can be called a refresh. Boom. Shakalaka. Thank you.
Guess u owe an apology... 😅

Bottom line, u can disagree all u want but ppl on forums always called/will call small changes to cars a "refresh" until complete model change comes out...

according to Tesla, they have only called the mid 2016 no nosecone car a "refresh". saying the car has been refreshed etc is not the same as calling it a refresh model.
Serious question for you.

Is the 2021+ Model S/X - with its different body panels, motors, battery, interior, and countless other mechanical systems - released nearly a year after the prior model stopped being sold - a “refresh model?”

Serious question for you.

Is the 2021+ Model S/X - with its different body panels, motors, battery, interior, and countless other mechanical systems - released nearly a year after the prior model stopped being sold - a “refresh model?”
Good question. How is it refreshed when the taillights and headlights are the same. That isn’t enough for “some people” to consider it a refresh. Part of the reason using that effing word every time there is a change is stupid. The palladium is the most “REFRESHED” in a single update in the history of the model s. Yet some people wouldn’t call it a refresh until the headlights changed.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I finally found a model S within my budget and I plan to go to the dealership this weekend to close the deal. I haven’t been able to find a Tesla mechanic that I can pay to check it out at the dealership and the closest show room / service center doesn’t have service appointments for 3 months.

Can anyone make suggestions on what I should I inspect on the car to make sure that I’m not overlooking any areas that will be expensive or difficult to repair right after purchase?

Thanks !
FWIW. I have a 2016 90D which was billed as a refreshed model; no nose cone. I have MobilEye and AP1 with MCU2. I am extremely happy with the car and have 165,000 miles with about 8% battery degradation. What you have found sounds like a late 2016 model and is capable of FSD. As @tga
has suggested, you could also scatter $12000 to the wind reap the same benefits. My 2016 performs better (IMHO) on AP1 than my 2022 MY with FSD . I, luckily, only scattered $10K to the wind with the 2022. I have now, unequivocally learned not to believe all the hype.
If you purchase this car some things to consider:
1. Rent the FSD before you buy. It's only about $299/mo
2. If this is a 90D, new it should have shown about 295 miles at 100%. My 90D still registers 270. If it is a 75D, I cannot help.
3. Someone suggested a credit from dealership for MCU2 upgrade if this is still a MCU1 car. Good idea.