Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Business case for CHAdeMO stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are CHAdeMO stations really high-maintenance or something?

Several people have implied that the maintenance cost would severely hamper the station's revenue.

Right now, DC charger technology is young enough that stations pop in and out of service frequently. Tesla has real time monitoring and fast service personnel (and multiple stalls per location) so it isn't a big issue for them.

For this reason and Drees excellent point about how often stations are in use if you only have one port, means that all the existing CHAdeMO stations are pretty useless and will eventually bankrupt their operating companies. You can take that to the bank.

The only reason these companies (evgo, etc) got off the ground is that investors didn't do the kind of business case analysis that drees did in his recent post.

Right now, the only viable public charging models are the ones funded individually by hotels (and restaurants, etc.) as a marketing expense to attract more customers, and Tesla's Superchargers. Chargepoint as a company may survive if it focuses on managing privately owned chargers intended for public use.

This is a great discussion especially for me a new Model S owner. I am a weekend road trip warrior, planning to continue 20-40K miles each year.

I too ordered a Chadamo adaptor months ago, even before I got my S-85.

I agree with many of the previous comments, but there hasn’t been much focus on the difference between local and over the road requirements.

1) Mostly I will be charging in my garage. There is no other scenario that makes sense for daily commuting. For me, that is a couple hundred miles a week. (200 * 50 = 10,000 miles per year commuting)

2) Over the road miles explain the remaining 10,000 – 30,000 annual miles. I like road trips, generally 500 miles a day. Today the only way to make that is by Supercharger.

3) The bulk of my miles are between Portland and Southern Idaho. I also only want to stay at hotels that enable a full charge overnight. For example, going to Boise takes an extra day each way to spend the night in Baker City, OR.

4) Along the old Oregon Trail there are No Superchargers today. I-84 is on the Supercharger target list for end of 2014, but along that route right now there are at least 5 Chadamo stations just waiting.

5) Over time public charging infrastructure business models will mature. There is a big difference in placing chargers at workplace parking and retail locations to enable short range EVs, than placing infrastructure to enable over the road EVs.

6) I have learned great respect for the Roadster owners who paved the way for us Model S owners. They are heroes that know how to plan and execute road trips. But Model S owners are still early adopters paving the way for all future EV owners.

7) Someone said Rome wasn’t built in a day. The switch from ICE to EV will take years, many fewer years with more Tesla owners. Or as status quo stakeholders work to slow down this economic revolution, many more years.

8) Being a Tesla owner is an adventure, and lots of fun. Not everyone is a weekend road warrior, so not everyone needs a Chadamo adaptor, dual chargers, or friends with 220V infrastructure in their garage or shop.

I only stay in hotels that offer charging. No charger, no business from me.
This approach doesn't work for me. For every trip other than CA, I've called either (a) every hotel within 30 miles or (b) 5 of the nearest hotels and none of them have charging options.

I've been quite fortunate with RV park availability, fortunately.

My wife and I went on a 5540 mile road trip a year ago. We went through Portland on the third day. No, there weren't many public chargers on 84. We stopped at RV parks most of the time. Takes a long time but got us there. Yes, high respect for the roadster owners! We have a Roadster HPWC adapter that we used on our trip. I plan to buy a CHAdeMo adapter when it is available. I'm thinking about renting it out for $10 a week or so once I get it.

It would make around "other" town driving much more relaxing!
I'm waiting for the SC on 101 north of SF to open this year! I was one that suggested it. We travel to Mendocino once or twice a year. It would really help!
As for motels with charging, the Stanford Inn by the sea just south of Mendocino has a few L2 chargers that are free. They also allow dogs! We stayed there last time! Probably will next time too.

I think there is a reasonably simple summary:
  1. Superchargers are preferred, but even end of 2015 there aren't enough, specifically not enough for destination charging.
  2. Every hotel should have L2 chargers (several!). Reasonably cheap and simple and sufficient for overnight charging.
  3. CHAdeMO adapter for Model S is urgently needed, especially in areas where there is significant coverage with CHAdeMO stations (Japan, parts of Europe, West Coast of the US, some other regions).
  4. CHAdeMO coverage maps are often misleading as many CHAdeMO stations are not open to non-Nissan drivers (just like Superchargers are Tesla only) and most CHAdeMO stations have just one charger and are therefore easily blocked when you need them (and are also frequently broken / off-line).
  5. The business model for owning a CHAdeMO charging stations is challenging. This will slow down getting a denser and more reliably available coverage with CHAdeMO, unless government or EV-maker subsidies help out - some states in the US appear to be contemplating this, several countries have already done it. Nissan subsidizes CHAdeMO chargers and Tesla is of course building their own Supercharger network. But to run CHAdeMO chargers as an independent business seems rather questionable (at least at the price points that we EV drivers are willing to pay).

Did I miss anything?

many CHAdeMO stations are not open to non-Nissan drivers (just like Superchargers are Tesla only)
No, it's not "just like" that at all. When the CHAdeMO adapter is available it should work with any CHAdeMO station. If a CHAdeMO station is not open to a non-Nissan driver, it would only be because of the location/ownership of the station (a Nissan dealer), not for any technical reason. Superchargers are Tesla only because only Tesla cars have that technology.

... but in the end if there is ONE fast DC charging solution that ALL EVs support, that's what gets us further along to the success of EVs over FC and ICE.
And there's the rub. Competitors have already labelled some painfully slow rates as "fast" and will continue to do so. This is where "word inflation" comes in. "Quick charge". "Super charge". "Ultra mega time dilation charge". "Space time continuum disruptor charge". Words are too easy to manipulate, confusing the debate and leading to bad standards decisions and policy making.

As a part owner of the busiest CHAdeMO charge station in the USA, which is located at a hotel, I put your comments into "you don't know what you don't know" category.

With over 2500 PAID charging events, I'll just say you're wrong.

Oh I'd love to be wrong. I based my statements on conversations with managers at locations that have charging stations (both L2 and CHAdeMO). And on some very simple logic. Overnight guests can easily charge on an L2 charger. And for the cost of one CHAdeMO station you can install 10 L2 chargers. Yet even when rotating cars you'll be hard pressed to charge ten customer cars overnight with that CHAdeMO charger (and if you do, don't forget to include the cost of the person doing the car shuttling in your equation).
I'm curious. As a hotel. You have valets change cars every couple of hours over night?
Also, of those 2500 paid events (which still haven't paid your installation cost, I guess), how many were done by overnight guests vs. day visitors for events?

As a part owner of the busiest CHAdeMO charge station in the USA, which is located at a hotel, I put your comments into "you don't know what you don't know" category.

With over 2500 PAID charging events, I'll just say you're wrong. We will be showcasing the very first dual CHAdeMO installation during:

Guinness Record World's Largest Electric Vehicle Gathering on Saturday, August 9, 2014 between 9am and 12 noon in Irvine, California at:

Courtyard by Marriott
Irvine Spectrum
7955 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, CA

Very interesting!

But where is that CHAdeMO station? It's not on plugshare? Please post the plugshare link.

Thanks!

No valets, nor any of the other things you seem to think apply. 2500 folks used a card of some type (ChargePoint, credit card, etc) and quick charged their electric vehicle. That includes folks with a CHAdeMO adaptor for the Tesla Model S and one of the several prototype Kia Soul EV's (numerous times). We don't share our data regarding which or how many were or were not hotel guests.
So basically you are saying "no, it makes no sense for a hotel to have one of these". It makes sense for a destination to have one of these if you are lucky enough to get a ton of EV owners with CHAdeMO enabled cars to come to your destination. In your case likely people who work at the University or are shopping at the mall across the streat.
Oh, and if you can charge a substantial amount of money per charge.

Color me unimpressed - you are not showing any evidence whatsoever that a CHAdeMO charger is a better investment for a hotel compared to half a dozen L2 chargers.
As to installation costs, they can vary so much from site to site that it's almost silly to spew numbers. This charger is located 10 feet from the hotel transformer; in other words, the installation was really inexpensive.
I assume that you are trying to be funny.
The cost of installing a CHAdeMO charger (without subsidies from someone) runs you around $20k. The distance from the transformer really isn't the main contributor.
So unless you charge $10 or more per charge, considering electricity cost you are no where near covering your installation cost.

Try to answer without mentioning your event...

This guy has to be trolling ... how would he even know, as a part owner of a charging station, that his station has the most business in the USA?
Doubt franchisor would provide such information for him to repeat.
And yes, obviously an SEO attempt. But seeing's how I know nothing about the politics around here, I'll just ... observe.

Mod Note: let's not slide into snippiness here please or we'll have to start quarantining stuff.

@TonyWilliams: mentioning your event 3 times in three consecutive posts, in an unrelated thread, is understandably going to provoke questions. Maybe don't take that so personally?

We have a CHAdeMO charger (aka DC Fast Charger, Level 3 DC charger, supercharger, or as Brianman mentioned "Space time continuum disruptor charge") at our commercial facility that is not affiliated with Nissan or other auto mfgs/groups. Location is near the intersection of two significant highways, albeit not interstates, and the unit is listed on Plug Share, the fed site, and other listing sites. We offer free charging. Our electric cost is offset by an on premises solar system rated larger than the CHAdeMO rated demand.

In 6 months, with 14k drivers passing the facility daily, it has been used a few dozen times last I checked, all by Nissan users, and most from the same user. Economically, we could not charge enough (even with much heavier utilization) to make the unit provide net gains.

The benefit is from providing a service to the EV community, offering spare PV electrons, and benefiting from local PR.

It is worth contemplating for superchargers at hotels, malls, workplaces, etc, is that they are a very 'peaky' load. For us, peak demand comes from the 15 minute period of highest draw during a month during on-peak, shoulder peak, and off-peak times. Peak demand charges for us comprised (in pre-solar days) roughly half of the electric bill. Our supercharger has pushed our peak demand charges higher, even when we have produced more electricity then we have consumed. Having a handful of peaky superchargers may be suboptimal for hotels, esp when they may be used during on-peak time (noon to 6pm, and 6-8pm in summer here).

As the OP, my interest is in the CHAdeMo charger for Tesla, as this would open the usability of our DC Fast Charger to a larger market... present company included.

Listen, I mentioned what we have actually DONE and are providing right now. You seem to know far better than myself, without anything but your keyboard. That makes me not particularly impressed. Let's see... 2500 paid recharge events at a hotel already, and you have how many?

Honestly, you are telling ME how much it costs and what impact a transformer has? Really dude? Seriously?

End of "debate"... you keep telling yourself all that over and over.

Dear kind and polite Sir,

I appreciate your effort of "winning an argument" by yelling.

I admire the fact that you have amassed 2500 paid recharge events.

I am certain that makes you the biggest and baddest of them all.

But for the point at hand, my statement that a DC charger makes less sense than half a dozen L2 chargers to a HOTEL, i.e., a place where people predominantly spend the night and not come by for a couple of hours during the day... sorry, Sir, you have provided no data at all to contribute to that conversation. The fact that your facility which will soon open as a hotel (!) and that is in a major metropolitan area, at the intersection of three freeways, right next to a shopping mall / restaurants / movie theater and close to a university campus has been able to attract 2500 paid charges gives me hope that with heavy subsidies (like in your case, based on the data on PlugShare, through Nissan's commercial CHAdeMO program where Nissan pays a good chunk of the cost of the actual charger) a CHAdeMO station at an extremely attractive location (three freeways, lots of restaurants, a movie theater - places where it's easy to spend an hour or two while your car charges) can make sense.

Which, Oh By The Way, has been my point all along.

But this provides no new information to the question of having a DC charger at an actual hotel that does not happen to be a major generator of short term visitors who come for an hour or two and leave again.

It also does not answer the question if this has a positive ROI. The plugshare page doesn't list the cost and you are not listed on the ChargePoint page, so I am speculating here while you have the hard data... let's assume $5-8 per charge (that's what Blink and some others seem to charge), then your gross revenue so far is about $6-15k (the network providers tend to pass through less than 50% of the money they get - if you actually have a credit card machine there or if your prices are higher, the revenue might be somewhat higher as well, but sadly, that data you didn't provide. Let's also assume that given that Leafs have only a 24kWh battery your average charge was only 16kWh (those numbers would be quite different with Teslas), so that adds about 40MWh or around a buck a charge for a commercial installation. Then add maintenance, opportunity cost for the space... OK, that's impossible for me to know.

So based on my completely made up numbers (feel free to refute any of them and replace them with hard data from your station), your income after running cost per DC charging session is somewhere between $1 and $4 (that last number feels quite optimistic, but let's say you charge $8 a charge, mostly have people using credit cards (and can piggy back on a bigger CC contract and avoid the massive small business fees) and have little alternative paid use for the space which makes sense in a place that is intended to become a hotel). An unsubsidized DC charger is still (according to PluginAmerica) going to cost you $15k plus installation. The two local non-Nissan CHAdeMO stations where I talked to management said that their total cost for charger plus installation cost was north of $20k.

So even for a highly desirable location with lots of traffic from people coming by for an hour or two... it still is not an obvious winner. But as we discussed earlier in this thread - if you can generate 6-8 charge events a day then yes, over time this may pencil out or at least break even, assuming the maintenance cost doesn't kill you (some of the early DC chargers broke quite frequently - and not only the Blink ones - the local Nissan dealer where we got our Leaf tells me that in the beginning theirs worked less than half of the time).

I understand that you are proud of what you have done. I understand that you would like to tell the world about all the wonderful news. I even understand a little that you then don't want to provide details (especially since they would seriously weaken the point), but please try to be civil about it. And please try to stay reasonably close to the facts. "at a hotel" for a place that will open as a hotel "soon"?

tl;dr: a DC charger at a hotel, predominantly intended to be used by overnight guests makes less sense than the cheaper installation of half a dozen L2 chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

We offer free charging.[...]
In 6 months, with 14k drivers passing the facility daily, it has been used a few dozen times last I checked, all by Nissan users, and most from the same user. Economically, we could not charge enough (even with much heavier utilization) to make the unit provide net gains.
Wow. "a few dozen" in 180 days, so maybe one or two a week. And this is free
It is worth contemplating for superchargers at hotels, malls, workplaces, etc, is that they are a very 'peaky' load. For us, peak demand comes from the 15 minute period of highest draw during a month during on-peak, shoulder peak, and off-peak times. Peak demand charges for us comprised (in pre-solar days) roughly half of the electric bill. Our supercharger has pushed our peak demand charges higher, even when we have produced more electricity then we have consumed. Having a handful of peaky superchargers may be suboptimal for hotels, esp when they may be used during on-peak time (noon to 6pm, and 6-8pm in summer here).
I hadn't even considered the peak aspect of this - so my estimates for cost per charge in the above might actually be low...