Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brittish Columbia bans cars with level 3 through 5 Self Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is because they are dangerous, then this is not enough. If they are so bad you can't drive one even with the driver assist turned off, then it should be illegal to own one? Or sell one?? But these have proven to be safer than cars without driver assist, therefore all motor vehicles must be banned in BC. Anyone owning, selling or buying a motor vehicle should be jailed immediately! This approach could set British Columbia back a little - like to the stone age.

This is great. I was feeling a bit bad about the corruption and stupidity of our bureaucrats, but perhaps our's aren't so bad after all? At least relatively.

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
If this is because they are dangerous, then this is not enough. If they are so bad you can't drive one even with the driver assist turned off, then it should be illegal to own one? Or sell one?? But these have proven to be safer than cars without driver assist, therefore all motor vehicles must be banned in BC. Anyone owning, selling or buying a motor vehicle should be jailed immediately! This approach could set British Columbia back a little - like to the stone age.

This is great. I was feeling a bit bad about the corruption and stupidity of our bureaucrats, but perhaps our's aren't so bad after all? At least relatively.

It's actually dubious. Because AFAIK, they have to approve it's use before it can be used. AFAIK, will not allow it to be engaged outside of the geofenced area.

I’m sure Mercedes is very careful not to let the system engage outside of its approved operational design domain. The user is not responsible for knowing the ODD so if you enable it and crash then Mercedes is liable. This rule seems poorly written.

Future use isn't ruled out; current use doesn't exist in North America except in the case of one high end car.

L3 vehicles can be enabled through a pilot project under the Motor Vehicle Act or by regulation in the future. There is nothing to stop Mercedes from requesting a pilot project in BC.

This is a nothing-burger.

It helps to read the actual government information. In full.

Of course, what this does do is stop Elon from releasing an L3 beta version to be tested in winter conditions by untrained test drivers. So maybe that's why you all think this is a terrible idea.

It helps to read the actual government information. In full.
If you read it it says it would be illegal to drive a Mercedes EQS manually in BC because it has L3 capabilities.
This means that highly automated self-driving vehicles cannot yet be driven on public roads in B.C., nor can highly automated self-driving features be used
If they were just trying to ban the use of such features then why do they distinguish between driving a vehicle with an L3 feature and use of the L3 feature?

If you read it it says it would be illegal to drive a Mercedes EQS manually in BC because it has L3 capabilities.
If you read the link, it says that they are open to pilot programs. They are stopping companies from putting L3 cars on the road without any regulation at all.

There is a law that requires someone behind the wheel to have a passed a test showing they can drive properly. This is just an extension of this, requiring the L3 system to also pass a driving test.
If they were just trying to ban the use of such features then why do they distinguish between driving a vehicle with an L3 feature and use of the L3 feature?

Because there is no way to tell if the L3 feature is engaged or not.

Seriously, that is the prudent things to do. If Lord Elon thinks V12.3.X is close to robotaxi, how else to stop him from putting all teslas on the road with no trained safety drivers to test out the system in real life. After all, he has done that with ALL autonomous driving development to date.

If there is an indicator on the outside of the car and the manufacturer is arguing this is sufficient and BC agrees, or if the car is geo-fenced (as the Mercedes is), then applying for a pilot project exemption is possible.

I'll stick with my assertion this is an Anti-Lord-Elon preventative move to stop tesla from using BC roads as a testing ground for L3 with untrained drivers and without any respect for the rules of the road. BC doesn't trust elon's methods of developing the software and they do not trust elon's 'test drivers' who tend were/are abusing the systems they've been testing so far. The only way to make sure an L3 car is not being tested is to ban all L3 cars that are not part of a government approved pilot project (or meet future regulations.)

Jurisdictions had distracted driving laws that meant one could not look at one's phone screen or play a movie on any device where is will distract the driver. That legislation has been made unenforceable by tesla since everything except the hazard lights have been moved to the screen in the middle screen on MY and M3. The solution to a blind spot warning light on a tesla is look at the centre screen to your right while you change lanes to your left. In other words look away from where you are going and let the camera tell you if it is safe. Contrast this to the Toyota system on the Corolla I rented that puts a light on the side mirror so when I check the mirror as part of my shoulder check, I can see the warning. One system completely works against safe driving practices and tesla doesn't care because the end goal is to get rid of the driver entirely.

BC seems to have had enough of this crap. This is not a standalone regulation, it is part of a larger set of rule changes to increase/enforce safety for cyclists and pedestrians, the other folks who are sharing the road and not protected by a crash-tested cage should a vehicle decide to ignore a bike lane, a walk signal, or a No Right Turn on Red sign, something that teslas in V12 already do with regularity, and the only thing stopping them from doing so is the unpaid, untrained, test driver who is responsible for paying attention because currently, if the car effs up, it is the driver who will pay the price.