Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh geez, read down two lines!

Corning[SUP][SUP]®[/SUP][/SUP] Gorilla[SUP][SUP]®[/SUP][/SUP] Glass 3 with
Native Damage Resistance[SUP]™[/SUP]

Corning is continually looking for ways to improve Gorilla Glass and achieve new levels of tough. Gorilla Glass 3 is not only chemically strengthened — its atomic configuration is formulated so that the glass is more durable, and fundamentally tougher and more damage resistant even before chemical strengthening

However, while we expected the windows and windshield to get the Gorilla Glass treatment, it seems BMW is only outfitting the rear window with Gorilla Glass. The car maker says this is for sound-dampening purposes, as the glass will consist of two 0.7mm layers with an acoustic sheet in the middle.

Gorilla Glass is also lighter than traditional glass, making the BMW i8 ever so lighter this time around, compared to if it used traditional glass. The i8 weighs less than 3,300 pounds, thanks to the Gorilla Glass as well as a few carbon fiber components. Of course, though, the hybrid powertrain is rather heavy, so the car still isn’t the lightest around.

Read more at BMW i8 With Gorilla Glass To See Most Sales In US? | CleanTechnica

- - - Updated - - -

BMW i8 driven - Telegraph

In America, wealthy silicon valley types will be queuing up to trade their Prius or Tesla for the latest sexy green machine, so you can see why this BMW has such a head of internet steam behind it. LOL:tongue:

The doors are neither scissor nor gullwing, but hinged off the windscreen pillars and their demand for extra width means tight parking spots are a no-no.
BMW-i8-prototype-5_2643913c.jpg

However, while we expected the windows and windshield to get the Gorilla Glass treatment, it seems BMW is only outfitting the rear window with Gorilla Glass. The car maker says this is for sound-dampening purposes, as the glass will consist of two 0.7mm layers with an acoustic sheet in the middle.

Gorilla Glass is also lighter than traditional glass, making the BMW i8 ever so lighter this time around, compared to if it used traditional glass. The i8 weighs less than 3,300 pounds, thanks to the Gorilla Glass as well as a few carbon fiber components. Of course, though, the hybrid powertrain is rather heavy, so the car still isn’t the lightest around.

I'll believe it when I see it. Making automotive grade gorilla glass to save a few lbs will be very interesting. Has gorilla glass ever been tested in an automotive application? This sounds ridiculously expensive for such a large and formed application. If it is an option you could see it being $10K or more.

Read more at BMW i8 With Gorilla Glass To See Most Sales In US? | CleanTechnica

- - - Updated - - -

BMW i8 driven - Telegraph

In America, wealthy silicon valley types will be queuing up to trade their Prius or Tesla for the latest sexy green machine, so you can see why this BMW has such a head of internet steam behind it. LOL:tongue:

The doors are neither scissor nor gullwing, but hinged off the windscreen pillars and their demand for extra width means tight parking spots are a no-no.
View attachment 28361

Not surprising it's only for the rear. I'd imagine this would be expensive to replace and since I've already replaced mine once due to a stress fracture, this can become an expensive proposition for Tesla.

OMG
I'm a long time BMW guy (mostly M5s and wagons). I've been very happy with the company's engineering and generally give them high marks for building a "driver's car".

With the I8 I have come to realize BMW has just done a slightly better job of polishing the ICE turd then most other manufacturers (assuming I am the target market/demographic). They simply do not get it or they were too far down the road with the 8 cave on it. Sure, it can run on gas but that is just about the only possible advantage it can claim over MS.

I hope Tesla follows through with its SuperCharger Egg for the Tesla MS Chicken in Europe. Like using California to demo the concept, they are off to a good start in Norway.

Good Luck BMW.

Yeah the i8 is definitely a compromise car. It's not as efficient as a Model S, and it's slower than a 911 GT3. Oh, and it's more expensive than either one. Heck you can buy a base Model S for commuting, and have >60k left to spend on a sports car.

I think the styling of the i8 is great (the i3 not so much, but that's another thread).
I'll even go so far as to think that the i8 is a worthy successor to the M1.

Impressive that they can get so much power out of a little 3 banger.
Superchargers are great, but for hours on the autobahn you still need gas imo.