Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the i4 M50 from a former M3P owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure I'm going to get blasted in these parts but I recently picked up a i4 M50. I had a 2021 M3P for 2 years and an Audi RS3 for 1 year in between. The reason for the imminent change was a job change requiring me to commute 5 days a week (something I haven't done in 4 years). I enjoyed my M3P during the time that I had it. I had it lowered with 20s and a few visual cues to set it apart. Car was fast as hell and fun to drive and toss in corners. Literally a go kart on wheels. I knew I wanted to head back to an EV and if the Highland model had been released, I might have considered that over the BMW but I needed a car now. I actually cross-shopped the BMW with the Model S given current pricing even though the i4 is more traditionally considered a M3 competitor.

I've had the BMW for a week and have really enjoyed it. My biggest gripes with the M3P was the spartan interior, low quality materials and road noise. Traditionally, I've owned German sedans so the i4 was really targeted at me and addressed the 3 complaints directly. The fit, finish and interior are several steps up from the Tesla. It's really not even close. Yes, the penalty for all of this luxury is the extra weight and additional cost (I got a screaming deal on the BMW however). For me, these trades offs are worth it on a personal level. Some observations for those who may be comparing these vehicles:
1. Acceleration - the BMW is a hare slower than the Tesla in a straight line, but still plenty fast. Most tests put it at about 2/10 behind the current M3P. Feels about right to me.
2. Range - I usually got about 260-270 out of my Tesla. I'm seeing about 240-250 on the BMW. Pretty darn close tbh. BMW underrates and Tesla overrates. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a push since it’s pretty cold where I am.
3. Handling - Tesla gets the win here in large part due to the weight. The Tesla is a legit fun car to toss around. The BMW is more of a GT car. It's pretty planted in street driving but you can't hide the weight.
4. Suspension - This is a big win for BMW. The M3P suspension is flat out horrible in stock form. The BMW in contrast is sporty but very comfortable. The air suspension on the rear is really a joy for a daily driver. No contest here. BMW nailed it.
5. Tech - This is a close call. The BMW idrive has a great large screen and is snappy. Probably not as intuitive as the Tesla but everything is there. The BMW has a full 360 degree camera system that's amazing and parking sensors. The HK audio system is pretty good, maybe a bit worse than the M3P but comparable. The BMW offers a screen in front of the wheel and HUD is standard.
6. Charging - I plan to charge at home so it's mostly a non-factor for me. However, on my 4 hour ride home from the dealer I did stop at an Electify America station and it was a complete debacle. 6 of 8 chargers were down and there was a line of people waiting for a charger. What should have taken me 15 minutes, took me 90 minutes. I was definitely not happy about that.

Fun to drive? For me, the BMW wins largely because the suspension is that much better than the Tesla and for my daily needs,. The BMW feels great in normal conditions and not at any limits. Since I'm not taking the car to the limits, I'm very pleased with handling and super planted feeling. Others may prefer the Tesla for good reason and I couldn't blame them if they did. The Tesla is trackable and tossable.

In short, the i4 m50 was really the perfect car for me. It fixes my major gripes with the Tesla but still retains the best things about EVs (namely, blistering acceleration and immediate torque). Sure, not getting gas is nice too. Please go easy on me. Yes, I know people don't like the grill (I kinda like it) and it's a porker.

BMW_i4_M50_1X7A7379.jpg

"BMW i4 M50 1X7A7379" by Alexander-93 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
I was a longtime bimmer guy up until recently. They are absolutely one of the best handling/dialed in cars out there. Just cannot get past how they look now though. MB are just as bad, design wise, imo. If you like it then congrats and enjoy.
I'm looking forward to the BMW Neue Klasse with NACS plugs. Full EV only platform will lower mass, and without the beaver tooth grill. They're going back to the 2002/e30 model looks, and I mean the model not the year.

I'm sure I'm going to get blasted in these parts but I recently picked up a i4 M50. I had a 2021 M3P for 2 years and an Audi RS3 for 1 year in between. The reason for the imminent change was a job change requiring me to commute 5 days a week (something I haven't done in 4 years). I enjoyed my M3P during the time that I had it. I had it lowered with 20s and a few visual cues to set it apart. Car was fast as hell and fun to drive and toss in corners. Literally a go kart on wheels. I knew I wanted to head back to an EV and if the Highland model had been released, I might have considered that over the BMW but I needed a car now. I actually cross-shopped the BMW with the Model S given current pricing even though the i4 is more traditionally considered a M3 competitor.

I've had the BMW for a week and have really enjoyed it. My biggest gripes with the M3P was the spartan interior, low quality materials and road noise. Traditionally, I've owned German sedans so the i4 was really targeted at me and addressed the 3 complaints directly. The fit, finish and interior are several steps up from the Tesla. It's really not even close. Yes, the penalty for all of this luxury is the extra weight and additional cost (I got a screaming deal on the BMW however). For me, these trades offs are worth it on a personal level. Some observations for those who may be comparing these vehicles:
1. Acceleration - the BMW is a hare slower than the Tesla in a straight line, but still plenty fast. Most tests put it at about 2/10 behind the current M3P. Feels about right to me.
2. Range - I usually got about 260-270 out of my Tesla. I'm seeing about 240-250 on the BMW. Pretty darn close tbh. BMW underrates and Tesla overrates. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a push since it’s pretty cold where I am.
3. Handling - Tesla gets the win here in large part due to the weight. The Tesla is a legit fun car to toss around. The BMW is more of a GT car. It's pretty planted in street driving but you can't hide the weight.
4. Suspension - This is a big win for BMW. The M3P suspension is flat out horrible in stock form. The BMW in contrast is sporty but very comfortable. The air suspension on the rear is really a joy for a daily driver. No contest here. BMW nailed it.
5. Tech - This is a close call. The BMW idrive has a great large screen and is snappy. Probably not as intuitive as the Tesla but everything is there. The BMW has a full 360 degree camera system that's amazing and parking sensors. The HK audio system is pretty good, maybe a bit worse than the M3P but comparable. The BMW offers a screen in front of the wheel and HUD is standard.
6. Charging - I plan to charge at home so it's mostly a non-factor for me. However, on my 4 hour ride home from the dealer I did stop at an Electify America station and it was a complete debacle. 6 of 8 chargers were down and there was a line of people waiting for a charger. What should have taken me 15 minutes, took me 90 minutes. I was definitely not happy about that.

Fun to drive? For me, the BMW wins largely because the suspension is that much better than the Tesla and for my daily needs,. The BMW feels great in normal conditions and not at any limits. Since I'm not taking the car to the limits, I'm very pleased with handling and super planted feeling. Others may prefer the Tesla for good reason and I couldn't blame them if they did. The Tesla is trackable and tossable.

In short, the i4 m50 was really the perfect car for me. It fixes my major gripes with the Tesla but still retains the best things about EVs (namely, blistering acceleration and immediate torque). Sure, not getting gas is nice too. Please go easy on me. Yes, I know people don't like the grill (I kinda like it) and it's a porker.

View attachment 990718
Good luck and we are VERY happy you did not return to ICEv
Unless BMW fixes the look, you might be back
M3 refresh looks amazing
Cybertruck is profound, paves a new path
MY refresh will be amazing
M2 will be amazing
I am hoping BMW can fight back successfully the China EVs in EU, for BMW to be here in the USA they must survive in EU
Rooting for them as well as MB, VW, Stellantis
We need all EVs to win

Good luck and we are VERY happy you did not return to ICEv
Unless BMW fixes the look, you might be back
M3 refresh looks amazing
Cybertruck is profound, paves a new path
MY refresh will be amazing
M2 will be amazing
I am hoping BMW can fight back successfully the China EVs in EU, for BMW to be here in the USA they must survive in EU
Rooting for them as well as MB, VW, Stellantis
We need all EVs to win
Thanks. I don’t think the i4 is a beauty queen but I prefer it to both the existing M3 and the Highland. I’m holding out some hope that the new M3 Ludicrous will have some styling improvements.

@clerks I remember your thread when you replaced your M3P with the RS3. Thanks for coming back and sharing your latest car adventure. I always like reading car comparisons, no matter if I'm in the market or not.

How about i4 M50 vs your RS3? :)

Among Audis I guess RS5 sportback is really the direct i4 M50 competitor though. Have you driven the RS5 much? Any thoughts on i4 M50 vs RS5?

Btw I like how you compared and rated handling separate from suspension. It might seem weird to some but I totally get what you mean by the difference. I agree with the M3P having very good handling yet very mediocre suspension. Even on my test drive I remember thinking how fun the car is, yet how bad the suspension control was. So much so that I ordered coilovers maybe 2 days after we ordered the car!

The handling is amazing now with the suspension upgraded, and the ride quality is actually better overall too. The M3P should really get a better, sportier suspension from the factory, and hopefully the new Highland M3P will...

Last edited:

View attachment 990718
Great review. However do you think the Highland suspension may change the equation ? Especially with 72 grand as starting price for the Beemer.
Still in love with my Fremont 2019 M3P not changing it anytime soon.

Great review! Glad to hear it's what you're looking for. I would be giving BMW a much harder look if they had a 6 passenger EV. As it stands, I figure I'll drive my MXP until my son graduates in 3 years and then give it to my wife. Just in time for the 2027 Neue Classe M3 🤘

Reactions: aerodyne
@clerks I remember your thread when you replaced your M3P with the RS3. Thanks for coming back and sharing your latest car adventure. I always like reading car comparisons, no matter if I'm in the market or not.

How about i4 M50 vs your RS3? :)

Among Audis I guess RS5 sportback is really the direct i4 M50 competitor though. Have you driven the RS5 much? Any thoughts on i4 M50 vs RS5?

Btw I like how you compared and rated handling separate from suspension. It might seem weird to some but I totally get what you mean by the difference. I agree with the M3P having very good handling yet very mediocre suspension. Even on my test drive I remember thinking how fun the car is, yet how bad the suspension control was. So much so that I ordered coilovers maybe 2 days after we ordered the car!

The handling is amazing now with the suspension upgraded, and the ride quality is actually better overall too. The M3P should really get a better, sportier suspension from the factory, and hopefully the new Highland M3P will...
It was hard to give up the RS3 to be honest. It's a great match for the M3P but will all the emotion and visceral experience that comes with an ICE car. Unfortunately, my car was Kyalami green and while I personally loved it, I am starting a new job with a conservative company and I didn't think that was a good look. I considered a wrap but for the same money (4k) I was able to get into a new 24 i4 M50. The RS3 is quite simply a blast. Quick, light, balanced, tossable and fun. One annoyance was middling gas mileage and a small tank. I could only get about 220-240 on a tank which meant regular fill ups. The annoyance was worse than paying for gas. If Tesla fixes the suspension, I may be back. For now, the i4 m50 is a fun GT car that puts a smile on your face every time you mash the pedal. Further research shows it matches the M3P in 0 to 60 and walks on the M3P in the 1/4 mile with significantly more power on tap over 60 MPH. The power is underrated in typical BMW fashion.

Reactions: Unobtanium
It was hard to give up the RS3 to be honest. It's a great match for the M3P but will all the emotion and visceral experience that comes with an ICE car. Unfortunately, my car was Kyalami green and while I personally loved it, I am starting a new job with a conservative company and I didn't think that was a good look. I considered a wrap but for the same money (4k) I was able to get into a new 24 i4 M50. The RS3 is quite simply a blast. Quick, light, balanced, tossable and fun. One annoyance was middling gas mileage and a small tank. I could only get about 220-240 on a tank which meant regular fill ups. The annoyance was worse than paying for gas. If Tesla fixes the suspension, I may be back. For now, the i4 m50 is a fun GT car that puts a smile on your face every time you mash the pedal. Further research shows it matches the M3P in 0 to 60 and walks on the M3P in the 1/4 mile with significantly more power on tap over 60 MPH. The power is underrated in typical BMW fashion.
@clerks I hear you on that small gas tank with borderline mileage AWD hatch. If memory serves, my tuned STI hatch had less range than my M3P on 18s!

Not really...Model S feels like a boat. Yes its fast but most of the time, I'm not launching the car. Give me the Model 3 size any time because I don't want a boat.
The Model 3 Performance and Model S LR/Plaid are on totally different levels. I've owned a brand new 2022 Model 3 Performance, and currently a brand new 2023 Model S Long Range. If I was under 30 I'd want the Model 3 for the handling and cornering. At this stage of the game, speed + ride quality is everything. The Model S ride quality with air suspension is on a completely different level than the Model 3. Also, the body style and road presence of the Model S is superior to the Model 3. It's no contest on which vehicle turns more heads.

The Model 3 Performance and Model S LR/Plaid are on totally different levels. I've owned a brand new 2022 Model 3 Performance, and currently a brand new 2023 Model S Long Range. If I was under 30 I'd want the Model 3 for the handling and cornering. At this stage of the game, speed + ride quality is everything. The Model S ride quality with air suspension is on a completely different level than the Model 3. Also, the body style and road presence of the Model S is superior to the Model 3. It's no contest on which vehicle turns more heads.

Understand your points but I don't value ride quality and looks as you probably do. I wish the M3P was faster and I wish the Plaid was smaller. Hopefully the Ludicrous Model 3 is the sweet spot. Again, for many of us, its personal preference vs. affordability that is driving our decision for choose a Model 3 vs. a Model S.

@clerks "paid about 62 for mine versus an MSRP of 75" -- wow, very good. Did you order that or was it available? And did you consider the msport e40x - or just go straight to the m50? If timing had been different a year ago, I would be in an e40, but I am happy with my car.

@clerks "paid about 62 for mine versus an MSRP of 75" -- wow, very good. Did you order that or was it available? And did you consider the msport e40x - or just go straight to the m50? If timing had been different a year ago, I would be in an e40, but I am happy with my car.
I used a broker and got a nice deal. that said I think the car market is pretty soft right now generally and EVs are really soft. I think there are deals to be had but yes, my deal was probably pretty solid since I see used 23s with miles actually selling in that range. M50 or bust for me.