Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Test Mule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay everyone, hear me out here. I just had a great idea which I haven't heard anyone talk about before.

So, I realized, these AWD cars will have two axels, two motors, two gearboxes. See that last part? Two gearboxes. That means two ratios. They could set the rear wheels, the ones responsible for get-up-and-go, to a really low gear ratio, even lower than the one in the current Model S, for much faster off-the-line performance. Then they could set the front wheels to a really high gear ratio, for better efficiency when cruising and more top speed. Then just vector the torque to whatever wheels need them - if you really put the hammer down, the car will decide to use the rear wheels more, but if you're just gliding up to speed, it'll use the front wheels more.

Has anyone else thought/talked about this? It would be sort of a back way into the whole "two gears" thing which didn't work out on the Roadster.

This was actually talked about by a Tesla rep in one of the Model X videos I believe....

If my source is correct, this is an AWD prototype with approx 600HP. Pic at factory.

Odd that they'd use such a bright color for a test mule... seems unlikely unless they were going to make some kind of publicity splash.

Also, just because they have Model S AWD test mules doesn't mean they're planning to put it into production. They have to test the new Model X AWD system, and right now the only way to do that is to retrofit it into a Model S chassis.

They could set the rear wheels, the ones responsible for get-up-and-go, to a really low gear ratio, even lower than the one in the current Model S, for much faster off-the-line performance. Then they could set the front wheels to a really high gear ratio, for better efficiency when cruising and more top speed. Then just vector the torque to whatever wheels need them - if you really put the hammer down, the car will decide to use the rear wheels more, but if you're just gliding up to speed, it'll use the front wheels more.

Has anyone else thought/talked about this? It would be sort of a back way into the whole "two gears" thing which didn't work out on the Roadster.

This sounds like a genius idea. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Tesla is already thinking along those lines.

That means two ratios. They could set the rear wheels, the ones responsible for get-up-and-go, to a really low gear ratio... Then they could set the front wheels to a really high gear ratio...

You could get into some ugly harmonics with two motors slightly out of speed with each other.

The motors are always connected to the wheels, so you can't make the ratios too far different or else you could overspeed one of the motors.
(One making power near redline causing the other to spin past redline.)

Okay everyone, hear me out here. I just had a great idea which I haven't heard anyone talk about before.

So, I realized, these AWD cars will have two axels, two motors, two gearboxes. See that last part? Two gearboxes. That means two ratios. They could set the rear wheels, the ones responsible for get-up-and-go, to a really low gear ratio, even lower than the one in the current Model S, for much faster off-the-line performance. Then they could set the front wheels to a really high gear ratio, for better efficiency when cruising and more top speed. Then just vector the torque to whatever wheels need them - if you really put the hammer down, the car will decide to use the rear wheels more, but if you're just gliding up to speed, it'll use the front wheels more.

See pictures/video here where it is discussed:
Front-motors-smaller-(less-powerful)-than-the-rear
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-motors-smaller-(less-powerful)-than-the-rear

The motors are always connected to the wheels, so you can't make the ratios too far different or else you could overspeed one of the motors.
(One making power near redline causing the other to spin past redline.)

They don't have to be; should be easy enough to design a gearbox that would decouple when necessary.

The Ferrari FF uses a bizarre sort of variation on this idea, with the same *engine* driving two different transmissions for the front and the rear wheels; the front wheels have a two speed transmission and the rears a seven speed.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/funky-...rari-ffs-two-gearbox-four-wheel-drive-system/