Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering to convert RWD to AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering to convert my RWD Tesla model S to AWD Car(I have complete Donor AWD).

Did anyone did it?
What are the gotchas I need to be careful with?

I know EG did it for Model 3 but wanted to see anyone did it for S

Last edited:
I think it would be easier to take the AWD doner car and move what is needed from the RWD car to fix the AWD car. Don't know what damage is on the AWD so that may not be practical. If the RWD is an early car in 2012 or 2013, I suspect converting it to AWD would be very difficult. Lots of changes were made to the design to accommodate AWD including some structural design changes The front suspension is entirely different too. Anyway, nothing is impossible, but the amount of work and costs make me think this is not a practical project unless you want to prove it can be done for the sake of taking on a huge project like this! Good luck with whatever you end up doing. You're going to learn a lot!

I agree with you about complexity of full retrofit, including structural front rails differences and many other things. It is kind of not worth it. But what I was thinking would be in some point easier, but harder in another, to make RWD think that it is AWD, and have front drive unit, so it can be used more power to the rear Drive unit. But it is big problem emulate front DU, or if use real front DU connected to can, power, to make it look like in normal operation...