Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Test Mule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everybody should calm down and not get their hopes up.

I posted a picture of the burnt orange MS in another thread after speaking with the head of interior design at the factory.

She said the burnt orange and this green one were test runs of custom colors as they did when the MS first started production. Both of these are employee vehicles rwd only no awd

Everybody should calm down and not get their hopes up.

I posted a picture of the burnt orange MS in another thread after speaking with the head of interior design at the factory.

She said the burnt orange and this green one were test runs of custom colors as they did when the MS first started production. Both of these are employee vehicles rwd only no awd

The pic I posted at the outset was forwarded to me by a family member who works with a Tesla employee. I've asked again, and they maintain they are AWD vehicles.

Take that for what it's worth, as it's obviously second hand info(hence my "If my source is correct..." disclaimer), but the pic was not lifted from Instagram or another online source... although I now wonder if that was his IG page that got removed.

How can that be, if the P85 power is already limited by battery discharge rate (internal impedance, chemistry, etc.)
Unless we are talking different battery tech/architecture, or frunk stuffed with more batteries.

LOL. I'm calm because I love my P85. But, my hopes ARE up. I'm not attached to the outcome but I WILL trade up for an AWD MS when/if it becomes available.

It's not like it's blind hope either. We KNOW AWD is coming to the X, and it only makes sense that 1) they will need to test it -- easier to do it on a current platform and 2) it will eventually come to the S.

If it's a test mule they could draw even higher C rates for short term testing if they don't care about the pack longevity.
The roadster pushes 4.25C (53 kWh battery, 225 kW motor).

If the Model S did the same C rate, that'd be 360 kW. Not a huge increase over what it's doing now with the P85. It'd be interesting to know what the main limitation is.

The roadster pushes 4.25C (53 kWh battery, 225 kW motor).

If the Model S did the same C rate, that'd be 360 kW. Not a huge increase over what it's doing now with the P85. It'd be interesting to know what the main limitation is.
A quick data point:
My REST logs show that my peak (reported) power use is 363 kW (on my Sig P85). I wouldn't be surprised to find newer P85 (now that they've done 20k+ cars since mine) and/or P85+ vehicles with 370+ kW peak. Just sayin'. :)
1373866042915,59,11823.3,84,61,340,39.873152,-121.968086,363,D,213,189

Why is it so high? Do you think it has MX suspension pasts?

- - - Updated - - -

...sorry for misspelling, I meant PARTS

- - - Updated - - -

The motors are always connected to the wheels, so you can't make the ratios too far different or else you could overspeed one of the motors.
(One making power near redline causing the other to spin past redline.)
Couldn't you just shut off the motor that approaches its redline and let the other motor do all the work? Since there are no cummutator, windings and other sensitive parts in the rotor rotor there is no such thing as overspeeding once turned off, no?

- - - Updated - - -

Who said power is limited by the battery? Hybrid cars with 1/10th of a MS battery size have 100 hp. Means an MS could have 1000 hp, no?
How can that be, if the P85 power is already limited by battery discharge rate (internal impedance, chemistry, etc.)
Unless we are talking different battery tech/architecture, or frunk stuffed with more batteries.