Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOW IT WORKS!

I swear it works now! lol... It has consistently auto-closed for me three times in a row, both using the Homelink to open the garage first as well as the wall switch. I don't know what I did, but now the car seems to like me more. Behavior changed for the better since I "reset location" to be farther down the driveway than before.

NOW IT WORKS!

I swear it works now! lol... It has consistently auto-closed for me three times in a row, both using the Homelink to open the garage first as well as the wall switch. I don't know what I did, but now the car seems to like me more. Behavior changed for the better since I "reset location" to be farther down the driveway than before.

Weird but congrats. No sense overanalyzing it.

NOW IT WORKS!

I think setting the right location is key.I'm glad your car likes you more.

NOW IT WORKS!

Glad it's working better for you.

I don't know much about how the GPS stuff works, so the following may be complete jibberish. But I believe GPS positioning has something to do with the number of satellites used to pinpoint a location. So perhaps somewhat randomly the second time you set the location more or different satellites were used, and for whatever reason those satellites resulted in a more accurate location or something.

NOW IT WORKS!

By further down the driveway do you mean closer to the garage door.

As I posted upthread, my first couple of weeks with auto-Homelink everything worked as expected. Then one morning, it stopped working. After about a week of fussing, I re-programmed the two settings I had (gate, and garage door). Everything then worked fine for about 2 weeks. Then yesterday the auto-close feature stopped working for the garage, and the auto-open for the gate got a bit flakey. What on earth is going on? Would think if you can get the system working for a week or more, that it should always work. All I can figure is there is some inconsistency in the GPS signal reception. Maybe some sort of atmospheric interference.

As I posted upthread, my first couple of weeks with auto-Homelink everything worked as expected. Then one morning, it stopped working. After about a week of fussing, I re-programmed the two settings I had (gate, and garage door). Everything then worked fine for about 2 weeks. Then yesterday the auto-close feature stopped working for the garage, and the auto-open for the gate got a bit flakey. What on earth is going on? Would think if you can get the system working for a week or more, that it should always work. All I can figure is there is some inconsistency in the GPS signal reception. Maybe some sort of atmospheric interference.
yesterday my auto home link tried to close the garage on my car immediately after I put it in reverse. Today same thing happened but I noticed it said "auto close in 60 feet" then immediately shut the door after I moved 2 feet. Fortunately I have the standard garage sensor that prevents closing with an object in the way. Everything worked fine since I first installed the update until two days ago. I have a service call in buy no reply yet.

So does the new firmware solve the reliability issues?
Auto Homelink for me continues to be very inconsistent. and I just got 2.11.54 update from the Service Center.

As I reported previously, auto open almost always worked, and auto-close almost never worked in the month or so since 7.1 release. Tried all the various techniques described in this and other threads with no success. Then earlier this week, both auto-open AND auto-close started working and did so for about 3 or 4 days in a row. My usual routine did not change (open door using wall switch, get in car, press brake, cross my fingers and wait a bit before reversing, etc). I thought maybe I got lucky and the problem fixed itself, as others seem to have noticed. Then a couple days ago I coincidentally had a service appointment scheduled for another issue - that morning when leaving the house auto-close failed like it usually did earlier this month (this is BEFORE going to the SC). The SC updated me to 7.1 (2.11.54), and even after the update things seem back to the inconsistent behaviour I had before (i.e. auto open works, but auto-close almost always fails).

So at least for me I don't think 2.11.54 fixes things...

The auto open works fine for me, but I don't use the auto-close as I do too many driveway shuffles. I park outside, so the auto-open is only to let me walk into the garage and not carry a clicker (which I seem to have misplaced somewhere).

The auto open/close works great in most cases, and once I got used to it, I stopped looking at the console screen when pulling in and out of the garage.

And, that's a problem...

The auto open/close works great - when you have only one car using the garage door and you are leaving/arriving at the garage. But, if you have any variants, that automatic open/close creates unexpected results - and because you quickly get trained not to check the touchscreen when driving to/from the garage door, you forget that the door will be sent a command to open/close.

For example, if the garage door is already open when you approach it, the command will be sent to "open" the door - and since the door is already open, the door will start closing as you are entering the garage. As long as the door opener has a working and properly configured sensor at the bottom of the door, the door closing sequence should be aborted. But if there's a problem with that sensor - or there isn't a sensor, there is a risk the door will hit the car, as the car is entering the garage.

Like the auto-air suspension system - the auto open/close should provide an indication on the dashboard when something is being done affecting the driving conditions. Since you quickly learn to stop looking at the touchscreen when approaching/leaving the garage (and rely on the auto open/close), having something displayed on the dashboard would increase the likelihood of noticing that the car was doing something automatically for you - and warn you if it was something you didn't intend.