Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams still comically bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're in a minority. This site and others is dense with people complaining about them worldwide. Would be interesting to compare the typical routes and situations you typically encounter compared to the legions of people who detest the auto-high-beams and find them constantly turning on and off through certain turns, under overpasses bridges, tunnels, etc.

I must be in the minority, which makes it even more surprising for me that they work so well. I have plenty of gripes regarding the software, but auto hi beam is not one of them.

Happens to people all the time.

In fact, the reason Tesla was forced to add the single "ding" and double "ding" method of distinguishing between cruise control (TACC) only mode and full lane-keeping Autopilot was due to some accidents in Asia, and at least one vehicle owner sued because it wasn't clear to them which level of Autopilot was engaged because the old method didn't distinguish between TACC-only and lane-keeping ("Autosteer" in Tesla parlance).

Then there was the big recall in China for the same issue. This was all pretty well publicized.

It's very easy to forget Autosteer lane-keeping was turned off due to a lange change. If one is driving on a mostly straight highway for hours at a time and has to do a single lane change which turns it off, t could be hundreds of yards before one realizes you never turned lane keeping back on. That's especially true especially if you have other vehicles in your household, because almost all of the other ones work that way.

Or, if one is dense traffic, you'll be reminded you forgot to turn AP back on when you veer into another car and Tesla's awful "corrective steering" algorithms don't really do anything. That's why almost every other automaker turns their version of lane-keeping assistance back on after a lange change.

I'm pretty sure that decades of human factors engineering expertise and automotive experience went into the practice used by the other manufacturers, and logically, it just seems to make common sense, honestly.

By your logic, Tesla never needed the big blue steering wheel icon or chimes of any kind or any indication either level of Autopilot is on at all because drivers will just..."remember", right? That doesn't pass the common sense test in my view.

You're in a minority. This site and others is dense with people complaining about them worldwide. Would be interesting to compare the typical routes and situations you typically encounter compared to the legions of people who detest the auto-high-beams and find them constantly turning on and off through certain turns, under overpasses bridges, tunnels, etc.
He may be in the minority yet I too have seen a drastic improvement and no issues at all. You seem to Love your Volvo (as every posts goes there) we get it. Lol. Sorry but your input is no longer correct. Enjoy your new car and be happy.

I turned them off ages ago given how bad they were. Just turned them back on after the holiday update to try things again and I can say they’re definitely improved but still not good enough for me to leave them on.

Positive: they are quicker to dim for oncoming traffic.

Negative: they are quicker to dim for everything, from random street lights in the distance to fully imaginary oncoming cars or other light sources that are invisible to the human eye.

Unchanged: they are still far too slow to re-enable the high beams after the real car or imaginary light source had passed. A reliable 3-5 seconds after I’d have turned them back on myself, every single time.

I turned them off ages ago given how bad they were. Just turned them back on after the holiday update to try things again and I can say they’re definitely improved but still not good enough for me to leave them on.

Positive: they are quicker to dim for oncoming traffic.

Negative: they are quicker to dim for everything, from random street lights in the distance to fully imaginary oncoming cars or other light sources that are invisible to the human eye.

Unchanged: they are still far too slow to re-enable the high beams after the real car or imaginary light source had passed. A reliable 3-5 seconds after I’d have turned them back on myself, every single time.
This exactly mirrors my experience.

Maybe read the other posts and not just yours. Auto high beams are much improved and no longer a heartache
It’s possible for everyone to be right!

Some people (like myself) are still having an awful time with auto high beams, others say they’re great. No one has a great reason to lie about their own experience with them.

My guess is that it mostly comes down to environment. Personally, my worst experiences are on pitch black, empty country roads. There could also be subtle variations in hardware, something to do with windshield optics, who knows. Point is, I’d kindly ask everyone to stop telling others that their own experiences are incorrect.

It’s possible for everyone to be right!

Some people (like myself) are still having an awful time with auto high beams, others say they’re great. No one has a great reason to lie about their own experience with them.

My guess is that it mostly comes down to environment. Personally, my worst experiences are on pitch black, empty country roads. There could also be subtle variations in hardware, something to do with windshield optics, who knows. Point is, I’d kindly ask everyone to stop telling others that their own experiences are incorrect.
To say much improved does Not say experiences are incorrect. The individual I replied to (no you) has not Tried the revised version they are simply playing the same old fiddle to feel important.

I had read such bad things about the AHBs that I never tried them when I first go the MY in late October. Then started reading they had improved a lot with the latest update in November.

Having tried them now I'm totally happy...they err on the side of being off too often and that is better IMO than to be on when you don't want them on. I can deal with them off even when they don't need to be because usually my alternative was to just not use the high beams at all.

The wipers are a different story...I don't think they are there yet....they are always going at least 1 speed faster than I'd want and don't always come on with very light rain or road spray. I've resigned myself to using the wipers manually.

I thought for a while that the auto wipers worked well, but now I see it depends on the rain. Consistent continuous rain often works well, but light mist and road spray is horrible. For some reason (maybe aero characteristics) road spray often hits the bottom half or 2/3 of the windshield, leaving the top where the camera is really clear, so it can take forever to wipe even when my view it totally obscured.

Also, dang, even the slowest delay is way too fast for a large part of the rain conditions. My 2004 Forester has better delay adjustment; give us a dynamic mode where we can set the delay with a scroll wheel, up to 10 seconds or whatever between swipes (at least provide the baseline that all other cars have, as a minimum viable product in your "Beta" wipers).

Maybe read the other posts and not just yours. Auto high beams are much improved and no longer a heartache
What are you talking about, dude? THIS VERY THREAD started with a person stating auto-high beams in their Tesla are "...still comically bad..." that was started on...*checks notes*... this past Friday. LOL

Is your logic that the originator of this thread and the many other people who agree with him that Tesla's auto-high-beams are terrible -- and that we should've be forced to use them on Autopilot, as Tesla now does -- must be wrong because you and others disagree? :rolleyes: So you are correct and the many people who disagree with you must be wrong....? Case closed? LOL

Last edited:
What are you talking about, dude? THIS VERY THREAD started with a person stating auto-high beams in their Tesla are "...still comically bad..." that was started on...*checks notes*... this past Friday. LOL

Is your logic that the originator of this thread and the many other people who agree with him that Tesla's auto-high-beams are terrible -- and that we should've be forced to use them on Autopilot, as Tesla now does -- must be wrong because you and others disagree? :rolleyes: So you are correct and the many people who disagree with you must be wrong....? Case closed? LOL
…jumping in on this as someone on FSB. My auto high beams work much better then they did even a couple of months ago. They never blind people in front any more. They do sometimes dim when there are reflective signs or barrels, so they seem to have optimized this for false positives instead of false negatives which works well for me. I would much rather not have high beams sometimes then have my car blinding people for being wrong.

Maybe it still is bad for you. Maybe it’s because you have don’t have FSD, maybe it’s because it’s a different car, maybe it’s because I’m on primarily dark, no street light, roads, maybe it’s because I was driving during a new moon, who knows.

…just like you are mocking the person who doesn’t believe that your experience is still bad, that doesn’t mean that some of us seen a marked improvement in auto high beams.

…jumping in on this as someone on FSB. My auto high beams work much better then they did even a couple of months ago. They never blind people in front any more. They do sometimes dim when there are reflective signs or barrels, so they seem to have optimized this for false positives instead of false negatives which works well for me. I would much rather not have high beams sometimes then have my car blinding people for being wrong.

Maybe it still is bad for you. Maybe it’s because you have don’t have FSD, maybe it’s because it’s a different car, maybe it’s because I’m on primarily dark, no street light, roads, maybe it’s because I was driving during a new moon, who knows.

…just like you are mocking the person who doesn’t believe that your experience is still bad, that doesn’t mean that some of us seen a marked improvement in auto high beams.
Again, there a *TONS* of people who continue to complain about Tesla's auto high beams being terrible, it's not just me. And I'm not even the originator of this thread. This is a community-wide issue of frequent discussion. And, again, this thread was started *a few days ago* not months ago...so clearly, there are people who still have significant issues with it.

Seperate from from the issue of how well auto-high-beams work is the additional fact that there are very many Tesla owners who have complained about being forced to accept auto high beams being turned on with Autopilot. Even if it works well (which it doesn't), tons of owners don't think we should be forced into using it under certain situations, which Tesla has done with the recent updates.

Moreover, I'm not "mocking" Yelobird...he's actually mocking the originator of the thread, myself, and the legions of other Tesla owners complaining about both issues when he falsely claims that both of these are non-issues just because a few people chimed into the thread and said auto-high beams work well for them and claiming our inputs are not valid. LOL.

I think you've significantly misstated the situation, joelliot. I recommend you do some thread searches both on this site and on other high-quality discussion sites using Google search. These are both ongoing issues of concern to many Tesla owners.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Again, there a *TONS* of people who continue to complain about Tesla's auto high beams being terrible, it's not just me. And I'm not even the originator of this thread. This is a community-wide issue of frequent discussion. And, again, this thread was started *a few days ago* not months ago...so clearly, there are people who still have significant issues with it.

Seperate from from the issue of how well auto-high-beams work is the additional fact that there are very many Tesla owners who have complained about being forced to accept auto high beams being turned on with Autopilot. Even if it works well (which it doesn't), tons of owners don't think we should be forced into using it under certain situations, which Tesla has done with the recent updates.

Moreover, I'm not "mocking" Yelobird...he's actually mocking the originator of the thread, myself, and the legions of other Tesla owners complaining about both issues when he falsely claims that both of these are non-issues just because a few people chimed into the thread and said auto-high beams work well for them and claiming our inputs are not valid. LOL.

I think you've significantly misstated the situation, joelliot. I recommend you do some thread searches both on this site and on other high-quality discussion sites using Google search. These are both ongoing issues of concern to many Tesla owners.
Wow, you have the art of exaggeration to fit what seems like a narrative to trash Tesla, down to a science.