Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't turn off auto wipers or high beams? [on autopilot]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is Tesla doing with these updates. I'm driving a 2020 Model 3, built in late 2019. My car went from fine to a forced updated and factory reset. Now the last update made it so I can't turn off auto wipers unless I turn off autopilot? Wtf Tesla I drove throw a swarm of insects (I'm in Florida) and the wipers went nuts smearing $hit all over the windscreen. Basically left me blinded. Also the auto high beams can't be turned off. I'm quite sure my neighbors across the street don't appreciate auto high beams blasting into their house at 6am as I leave for work Options are no autopilot or auto crazy from the car. Is there anyway to stop this short of not using autopilot.

These are two things I the driver need to control even if auto pilot is on. I do not appreciate Tesla removing functionality or forcing things on us. This is probably the second time I've been unhappy with an update. The last one was an OS update and I'm still not happy the left pane takes up so much of the screen.

Nothing can be done with auto wipers and AP. Although, you can turn off auto high beams with AP engaged by simply pushing forward on the turn signal stalk. Unfortunately, you'll have to do this for each time AP is engaged because the software setting is disabled when AP is enabled.

Hopefully this helps with half the problem.

Which update F'd with your wipers and high beams?
i think it's the latest 2 updates which *force* all vehicles onto Tesla Vision and now fully deactivate the built in Continental radar unit in older vehicles. Because less sensor input is better ... ya know. That's why your AP top speed is now also reduced to just 85mph (down from 90mph) and auto high beam and auto wipers kick in to keep the "Tesla vision" going without using the radar. 85mph AP top speed will make driving on certain interstates *real fun* where the top speed is already 80 mph and folks usually go ~85 to 90 mph.... not to mention if they roll it out in Germany. lol

I believe the auto wipers on autopilot are because the AP requires as clear a vision as possible out of the cameras that are above the rear view mirror (IOW looking through the windshield).

My car yesterday decided to auto clean my windshield for no real apparent reason, other than the car must have decided it looked a bit dirty. Not raining, i had even recently cleaned the windshield. Obviously not to the car’s standard of cleanliness. It actually seemed quite clean.

Drove my wife's 2018 Model 3 for the first after installing 2022.20.9, which disabled radar and turned on auto high beams when using AP as described earlier in this thread.

One change that I noticed: automatic headlights (not high beams) seem to behave differently after installing this build. It was raining today, and before I used AP on the highway, the headlights were on. When I activated Autosteer, which turned on auto high beams, my headlights turned off even though it was still raining (the DRLs were still on). After I stopped using Autosteer, the headlights didn't come back on for the rest of that trip, even though it was still raining.

Previously, the auto headlights would be on every time it rained. Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: George75
i think it's the latest 2 updates which *force* all vehicles onto Tesla Vision and now fully deactivate the built in Continental radar unit in older vehicles. Because less sensor input is better ... ya know. That's why your AP top speed is now also reduced to just 85mph (down from 90mph) and auto high beam and auto wipers kick in to keep the "Tesla vision" going without using the radar. 85mph AP top speed will make driving on certain interstates *real fun* where the top speed is already 80 mph and folks usually go ~85 to 90 mph.... not to mention if they roll it out in Germany. lol
So I've paid for the radar and Tesla have taken it away and is using software vision? Seems stupid as I'd like to use what I paid for in 2019. I absolutely hate the auto wipers and high beams. Sorry but the software is just not near ready for what they want. They also randomly just go off full force clear sky and no rain. They need to undo this $hit before someone gets into an accident. Is it even legal for them to disable your hardware on your car? Is it even your car anymore?

I got that, but the OP indicated that one particular SW upload caused issues with the wipers while in AP.
It was a two releases ago, I'm on 2022.24.8 now. I put in a ticket after whatever went on or wrong factory reset my car. Before it went nuts it just lost WIFI and refused to find or connect, it was about three quarters the way done downloading a navigation update. I did a reset, come back hours later and I'm told welcome to version 11 and all my settings are gone. I was told it was a bug and/or possible corrupt install.

It was a two releases ago, I'm on 2022.24.8 now. I put in a ticket after whatever went on or wrong factory reset my car. Before it went nuts it just lost WIFI and refused to find or connect, it was about three quarters the way done downloading a navigation update. I did a reset, come back hours later and I'm told welcome to version 11 and all my settings are gone. I was told it was a bug and/or possible corrupt install.
I might have missed it, but do you have a HW 3.0 or HW 2.5 unit?

So I've paid for the radar and Tesla have taken it away and is using software vision? Seems stupid as I'd like to use what I paid for in 2019. I absolutely hate the auto wipers and high beams. Sorry but the software is just not near ready for what they want. They also randomly just go off full force clear sky and no rain. They need to undo this $hit before someone gets into an accident. Is it even legal for them to disable your hardware on your car? Is it even your car anymore?
yup. my thoughts as well. the fact that AP Vision only is just good for up to 85mph tells me all I need to know about how much confidence Tesla has about "vision only" at the moment... in rain and fog or at night etc... a radar is superior detecting other cars