Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will get these details ASAP! I just like the look of the model S! I don’t know why! I know, typical woman! Lol I haven’t test driven the 3! But I plan on keeping it maybe another 3-4 years. My commute is going to get longer for work and the BMW X6, isn’t a gas friendly obviously!! ;-)
Hey Red, check out the almost same car at "Current Automotive" ( 2015 S85 with 21K miles and $45K) and the message out there is that third party or dealers sales make it impossible to get an extended warranty from Tesla ( and you really should have one !) . However, here is a new twist on extended warranties for electric cars.
Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas | Reuters

You can check out the pricing and even purchase your service agreement online at www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care

• Informative
Reactions: RedLoubs&wine
I’m headed to test drive the Tesla now. However, just spoke with Tesla; about a used CPO model S. It just seems that Tesla’s are listed for so much more than 3rd party dealers.
However, I do love the peace of mind I would be getting with it!! I think it would be worth it the more I’m reading!? Unless anyone has heard good reviews about the extended warranty company out of Texas?
There's also a substantial difference between miles & options. One example us Autopilot. If it's not enabled on the car you're looking at that already is $5k of the difference to enable it. There's half a dozen similar options that can really swing the price/value of a used car. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Reactions: RedLoubs&wine
I would definitely get that over a 3. Once the Y comes out the 3 will see a massive depreciation hit and a hatchback with twice the cargo room will always have a market with both families and Uber/Lyft/taxi drivers, especially when you factor in free supercharging and 8 year unlimited mileage powertrain and battery warranty, while the 3 "pays" for charging and has a limited powertrain/battery warranty that stops at 100K for the Standard and Mid-range and 120K for the Long range.

I currently drive a used 2014 P85+, the car has been bullet proof, I got it off eBay and I am pushing 80K + miles with the only issue being a $3 door handle microswitch (which I replaced) and a $35 windshield washer motor (which I replaced), so I'm out ~$40 since the warranty expired.

My wife has the 90D 2016.5, (new nose cone and AP1) and nothing has been an issue on her car. Also I am a prior owner of a 2013 P85, which we sold after 50K miles, the only issue it had was a door handle LED that burned out, was replaced under warranty.

Other stuff, get additional CR2032 batteries for the key fobs, and replace the tires as needed. Also if you have a sunroof, you need to clean and lubricate the tracks occasionally.

Things in the Model 3 that caused me pause to buy: 1. inferior warranty 2. no hatchback 3. lower quality steel body verses aluminum. 4. less cargo space 5. Model Y coming with proper hatch. 6. Truck coming which will replace my Model S and my Toyota FJ, 7. No sunroof 8, no air suspension 9. I've added too many aftermarket things to go backwards (stereo upgrades, security cameras, hitches, lighting, USB power outlets, etc... 10. It's a gorgeous car, and I didn't want to pay $70K for a new Model 3 that didn't tick all the boxes above for me.

Get the S and if you get a P model, you will get to see all the 3's you want, they will just be in your rear view mirror. Also if you don't live in an area with crime (like SF) then you don't need sentry mode (your in GA - 9mm works way better - no self respecting thief is going get scared off by a flashing light and a alarm) and in my house no damn dog is riding in my S, so you don't need dog mode either. I have a truck for my furry 120 lb wet muddy dog that smells like - a dog and he won't fit in a Mode 3 either.

Don't let the scratches scare you, everyone will eventually get them and any good paint shop can make those go away.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok guys! Once again Much Much appreciation for all of your help with everything! I feel like haven’t studied this much since anesthesia school!
UPDATE!!:
So just text drove the Tesla! Of course I love it!! But I found out that it’s actually a 85!! Does that change things? Would you go for this car even more now? I’m here now & apparently they were unclear about the auto pilot?
I would have to purchase the auto pilot separately correct? I want to see if this is a good enough deal to not go with a CPO via Tesla?
Much appreciation in advanced!!

I would definitely get that over a 3. Once the Y comes out the 3 will see a massive depreciation hit and a hatchback with twice the cargo room will always have a market with both families and Uber/Lyft/taxi drivers, especially when you factor in free supercharging and 8 year unlimited mileage powertrain and battery warranty, while the 3 "pays" for charging and has a limited powertrain/battery warranty that stops at 100K for the Standard and Mid-range and 120K for the Long range.

I currently drive a used 2014 P85+, the car has been bullet proof, I got it off eBay and I am pushing 80K + miles with the only issue being a $3 door handle microswitch (which I replaced) and a $35 windshield washer motor (which I replaced), so I'm out ~$40 since the warranty expired.

My wife has the 90D 2016.5, (new nose cone and AP1) and nothing has been an issue on her car. Also I am a prior owner of a 2013 P85, which we sold after 50K miles, the only issue it had was a door handle LED that burned out, was replaced under warranty.

Other stuff, get additional CR2032 batteries for the key fobs, and replace the tires as needed. Also if you have a sunroof, you need to clean and lubricate the tracks occasionally.

Things in the Model 3 that caused me pause to buy: 1. inferior warranty 2. no hatchback 3. lower quality steel body verses aluminum. 4. less cargo space 5. Model Y coming with proper hatch. 6. Truck coming which will replace my Model S and my Toyota FJ, 7. No sunroof 8, no air suspension 9. I've added too many aftermarket things to go backwards (stereo upgrades, security cameras, hitches, lighting, USB power outlets, etc... 10. It's a gorgeous car, and I didn't want to pay $70K for a new Model 3 that didn't tick all the boxes above for me.

Get the S and if you get a P model, you will get to see all the 3's you want, they will just be in your rear view mirror. Also if you don't live in an area with crime (like SF) then you don't need sentry mode (your in GA - 9mm works way better - no self respecting thief is going get scared off by a flashing light and a alarm) and in my house no damn dog is riding in my S, so you don't need dog mode either. I have a truck for my furry 120 lb wet muddy dog that smells like - a dog and he won't fit in a Mode 3 either.

Don't let the scratches scare you, everyone will eventually get them and any good paint shop can make those go away.

Good luck.
Buy it! Thats a good price - have them throw in the autopilot at no cost and tell them you will take it today
Buy it! Thats a good price - have them throw in the autopilot at no cost and tell them you will take it today
I thought the pricing was pretty competitive as well! It’s a dealership who obvious don’t m is much about auto pilot hence no matter what I said they went back to the price of the car! They don’t realize the value in it! They felt just because it said autopilot the dash it has it! I’m seriously considering it! Although wanted a darker interior because of kids, I feel it’s a pretty good price! But of course you guys know best!! Thanks again!

I thought the pricing was pretty competitive as well! It’s a dealership who obvious don’t m is much about auto pilot hence no matter what I said they went back to the price of the car! They don’t realize the value in it! They felt just because it said autopilot the dash it has it! I’m seriously considering it! Although wanted a darker interior because of kids, I feel it’s a pretty good price! But of course you guys know best!! Thanks again!

Not a good enough deal, the warranty on their car is up in a few thousand miles, don't let them hustle you.

I don't think this is a good deal.
  • The car is too expensive for what you get. It would cost $7,000 to enable Autopilot on this car. Therefore you would be paying 46+7= $53,000 compared to 42,900 + 5,000 Autopilot -3,750 tax credits= $44,150 for Model 3 MR. It would cost you $8,850 more.
  • It has 11 months warranty left.
  • It has the plastic nosecone that was designed to replicate the grill section of gas cars. This adds a sense of fakeness because of the design and cheapness because of the plastic and immediately lets everybody know that you are driving an old Tesla that was discontinued in 2016.
  • It still has less range than Model 3 Mid-Range. A new S85 has 218 mi range at 75 mph compared to 233 mi for Model 3 MR. See the table here.
  • You get AP1.0 instead of AP2.5. You will be stuck with AP1.0 instead of having the option to upgrade to AP3.0 in a few months. Also, 'Navigate on Autopilot' is not available in AP1.0 and Tesla is working on improving this feature. Search for 'Navigate on Autopilot' on Youtube.
  • No door pockets, no coat hooks, less storage space in the center console, no storage below the front armrest, no folding rear-seat armrest, no rear-seat cup holders for Model S built before June 2016, worse audio quality than Model 3, slow touchscreen, no roof rack option with the metal roof.
  • Charging the Model S 85 costs 41% more than Model 3 (38 kWh per 100 miles vs 27 kWh, data source)
Some people might think that a used Model S 85 is worth the premium compared to a new Model 3 MR because it's a more premium car, but that's not the reason why it costs more. The main reason Model S costs more is that the production line is much less efficient than Model 3 production. Before Tesla took over the Fremont factory in California, it was owned by Toyota and GM. At the time, it was called the NUMMI factory. If we compare the number of cars produced per employee per year, it looks like this:
  • In 2006, GM and Toyota produced 429,000 cars with 5,500 employees at the NUMMI factory. That's 78 cars per employee per year.
  • In 2016, Tesla produced 84,000 cars with 6,000 employees at the Fremont factory. That's 14 cars per employee per year.
In other words, in 2016 Tesla was only 18% as efficient as NUMMI. These days, S/X production is at 24% efficiency of NUMMI and Model 3 is at 64%. In other words, Model 3 production is more than twice as efficient as Model S production. That's the main reason why Model S costs more. That's true even when we pick a Model 3 with a larger battery. For example, the Model 3 LR AWD has an 80.5 kWh battery compared to 75.0 kWh for Model S 75D but the Model 3 is $26K cheaper. S75D used to cost $76K new vs $50K for LR AWD.

Tesla could have upgraded the Model S/X production line and made it as efficient as the Model 3. This would have lowered the priced of Model S but they chose not to do that because it's not the right time to spend money on that.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a good deal.
  • The car is too expensive for what you get. It would cost $7,000 to enable Autopilot on this car. Therefore you would be paying 46+7= $53,000 compared to 42,900 + 5,000 Autopilot -3,750 tax credits= $44,150 for Model 3 MR. It would cost you $8,850 more.
  • It has 11 months warranty left.
  • It has the plastic nosecone that was designed to replicate the grill section of gas cars. This adds a sense of fakeness because of the design and cheapness because of the plastic and immediately lets everybody know that you are driving an old Tesla that was discontinued in 2016.
  • It still has less range than Model 3 Mid-Range. A new S85 has 218 mi range at 75 mph compared to 233 mi for Model 3 MR, see the table here.
  • You get AP1.0 instead of AP2.5. You will be stuck with AP1.0 instead of having the option to upgrade to AP3.0 in a few months. Also, no support for 'Navigate on Autopilot'.
  • No door pockets, no coat hooks, less storage space in the center console, no storage below the front armrest, no folding rear-seat armrest, worse audio quality than Model 3, slow touchscreen, no roof rack.
  • Charging the Model S 85 costs 41% more than Model 3 (38 kWh per 100 miles vs 27 kWh, data source)

Some people might think that a used Model S 85 is worth the premium compared to a new Model 3 MR because it's a more premium car, but that's not the reason why it costs more. The main reason Model S costs more is that the production line is much less efficient. Before Tesla took over, the Fremont factory in California was owned by Toyota and GM. At the time, it was called the NUMMI factory. If we compare the number of cars produced per employee per year, it looks like this:
  • In 2006, GM and Toyota produced 429,000 cars with 5,500 employees at the NUMMI factory. That's 78 cars per employee per year.
  • In 2016, Tesla produced 84,000 cars with 6,000 employees at the Fremont factory. That's 14 cars per employee per year.
In other words, in 2016 Tesla was only 18% as efficient as NUMMI. These days, the S/X production is at 24% efficiency of NUMMI and the Model 3 is at 64%. In other words, Model 3 production is more than twice as efficient as Model S production. That's the main reason why the Model S costs more.
Why are you so insistent that this person buy a Model 3 when they clearly told you they dislike how it looks? Let it go. Not everyone has to drive what you drive.

Reactions: b team and Don TLR
Thank you guys soooo much!! You guys truly are awesome! As I stated I feel Ive researched so much, but still feel I know so little! I’m taking all your advise into consideration! I do love the Tesla’s but it sounds like I need to take some more time!! I’ll keep you all posted! I’ll post the 3 model S Tesla’s CPO sent me in the meantime!

I’m headed to test drive the Tesla now. However, just spoke with Tesla; about a used CPO model S. It just seems that Tesla’s are listed for so much more than 3rd party dealers.
However, I do love the peace of mind I would be getting with it!! I think it would be worth it the more I’m reading!? Unless anyone has heard good reviews about the extended warranty company out of Texas?

This is not always the case. If you look carefully and are patient, there are very reasonably priced Tesla CPO cars available in great condition. If your budget is around $50K, there are several P85D CPOs you can buy. There are also 85D CPOs available for the mid 40s.

I got a 2014 S85 autopilot and a new 3D. If you really like the S, which is a great highway cruiser with lots of space for the kids, I would look for a CPO. You can't beat that warranty. Tesla changed a on board charger (worth $3k) and panoramic roof a few months after the original warranty expired on our S. I was glad I had a CPO.

If it were me, I would look for a 2016 S85D with next gen seats as they are more comfy than the older ones. For example: Model S 85D 5YJSA1E28GF128133 | Tesla

Lots of used S in California since the carpool sticker expired on all models registered in 2016 and prior. The 85 batteries seem to hold up pretty well too.

AP2 cars are still expensive used. Good luck.