Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Model X - Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello- currently looking at buying a 2016 Model X P90D as my first Tesla. The mileage on the vehicle is 39k.

I spoke with the dealer today and he told me the negatives - not eligible for free supercharging and out of warranty.

The car otherwise seems flawless but I haven’t gone to see it yet. My curiosity is in the battery and trying to understand if the degradation is correct. I was told its range currently sits at 182 miles at 80% charge. Estimated 230 miles at full charge.

Does this seem accurate? For a car that has only 39k miles I would thing the degradation would be less? But I’ve also never purchased a Tesla and haven’t spent much time researching.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

How much?

I have read that time degrades the batteries as much as anything, but I’m not an expert so do your own research.

I own a P90D and love it. Probably wouldn’t purchase one without a warranty though. I have an Xcare warranty for battery and drivetrain. 2016s no longer qualify for any sort of warranty as far as I know, so I think it would make more sense to purchase a 2017 unless the price is incredibly low.

P90D X originally had 250 miles of range 8 years ago. Currently they have around 220 to 225 miles fully charged, so 180 miles at 80% is correct.

The biggest issue is the battery and motors warranty being expired, those replacements are super expensive. Maybe a 2018 model is better, and will have 2 additional years of battery/motors warranty.

$41K is a terrible price for a P90D X, around $29K is closer to reality.