Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

another regen/brake light discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told the lights illuminating when not applying the brakes is illegal in Germany, so Tesla has to disable this feature for cars sold there. Presumably, you could have it disabled here if you don't like it.

Has anyone figured out if it's really a software setting (and if Tesla will disable it on U.S. cars)? I really hate how often the brake lights are going on... I've started watching for it in bumpers or grills of cars behind me and even on a gentle lift-off on the accelerator, the lights turn on. I suspect it drives people crazy behind me... I'd strongly prefer brake lights ONLY going on when I actually hit the brakes.

Has anyone figured out if it's really a software setting (and if Tesla will disable it on U.S. cars)? I really hate how often the brake lights are going on... I've started watching for it in bumpers or grills of cars behind me and even on a gentle lift-off on the accelerator, the lights turn on. I suspect it drives people crazy behind me... I'd strongly prefer brake lights ONLY going on when I actually hit the brakes.

I'm guessing we'll see some progress on this issue, and many others, when Roadsters start going out of warranty.

It is a software setting,

Tesla will turn it on. They did for me in Hong Kong, so long as it doesn't contravene local regulations.

Will they turn it off? I guess you'll have to ask.

When I picked up my car it was OFF, and I spent the first month with other cars tailgating me every time I approached lights. With it ON, that doesn't happen. For me, it is much safer ON. I'd rather drive cars behind me crazy than have them drive into the rear of me.

Reactions: Terry_B58
It is a software setting,

Tesla will turn it on. They did for me in Hong Kong, so long as it doesn't contravene local regulations.

Will they turn it off? I guess you'll have to ask.

When I picked up my car it was OFF, and I spent the first month with other cars tailgating me every time I approached lights. With it ON, that doesn't happen. For me, it is much safer ON. I'd rather drive cars behind me crazy than have them drive into the rear of me.

I will need to ask Tesla about this with my Model S. We get FAR too much tailgating in my area and as far as I'm concerned I'd probably be safest if my brake lights were on ALL the time. Or perhaps flashing!

A Volt, driven in "L" mode (and many drivers are reported to do so exclusively), has pretty strong regen (nothing quite like the Tesla, of course) and NO brake lights during lift-off. Some Volt owners have expressed concern and a desire to have the brake lights illuminated like the Roadster.

Agreed, like different levels of intensity so it doesn't look like you're hard braking all the time. A light regen could illuminate the lights at a lower intensity, while pressing the brake would fully illuminate it.
Ideas like that have floated around for years based on how hard you press the brake pedal.

Regarding regen, I think the brake light should come on beyond a certain threshold negative acceleration. Perhaps that threshold could be scaled with velocity.

I also think brake lights should come on whenever you pass a certain threshold in deceleration. Shouldn't matter whether you are using ICE engine braking, EV regenerative braking or pressing a good old fashioned brake pedal, it is large reductions in velocity that are important to the car following you.

Last edited:
I would be open to the regen lift to have yellow lights come on then red when the brake is depressed. That way people behind can see I'm slowing and react appropriately to the two colors.

Color changing LEDS might be ideal here.

Last edited:
Very Interesting stuff here.

I am tailgated every day here in Holland with the regen brake light option disabled.

Never in my Model S which does have that option.

I asked tesla Why it is permitted for the model S and not for the roadster.

When they answer I will let you know.

Question, does the European firmware diminish the maximum regen proceeds by limiting the regen in order to let the car slow down more slowly due to the lack of brake lights?

I would think so.

Reason the more for me to want this option reanabled.

This really isn't a BEV only issue, I know with my G37 and RX7, I can slow the car down quite aggressively when downshifting without using the brakes. Certainly with an ICE car there is no indication of the vehicle deceleration, only active braking. I would think that SAE or ISO would have a standard for deceleration of a vehicle requiring brake light indication at this point in time. The system would actively indicate immediately upon active braking, but also have a parallel circuit using vehicle speed (which all modern vehicles now have ECMs with speed input) to determine acceleration/deceleration, as our Tesla's do today. There needs to be an industry standard so all manufacturers' vehicles react exactly the same regardless of drivetrain type, as this is a safety system and really not a feature that should vary from vehicle to vehicle. I am at a loss why a certain market would legislate out deceleration indication.

Reactions: hcsharp and daniel
Very Interesting stuff here.

I am tailgated every day here in Holland with the regen brake light option disabled.

Never in my Model S which does have that option.

I asked tesla Why it is permitted for the model S and not for the roadster.

When they answer I will let you know.

Question, does the European firmware diminish the maximum regen proceeds by limiting the regen in order to let the car slow down more slowly due to the lack of brake lights?

I would think so.

Reason the more for me to want this option reanabled.

My roadster have regenbrakinglight.
I apered after restart of vdms i think after low power in 12V system
That's the good with powerloss
The bad is car think it have TPMS but i donät have anny hardwere to it

Tesla replied that in Holland the regen brake light option is not permitted for the roadster, only model S and Model X.

I read somewhere else that you can reset your country (to US or Japan that have regen brake light) in the menu that appears when you read out your car via the obd2 interface.

Have ordered the cable and try on Monday.

Will be continued.