Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MY brake pedal rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, in this episode of "does anyone else have this noise?" One of the rattles that I'm currently trying to get resolved seems to be coming from the brake pedal. The rattle occurs on rough roads and whenever the car uses friction brakes to supplement Regen (I normally keep that turned off though). If I hold the pedal lightly with my foot, the noise stops. It seems like there is a lot of play in my pedal assembly.

I have the same thing on my 2021 MYLR. It’s mildly annoying. I came across a solution on Reddit somewhere but it appears to be temporary. If you stick your hand up where the brake pedal is hidden, there’s a steel pin which seems to have some play. I pushed it to the left (toward the drivers side) and was able to immediately feel the brake pedal no longer has any play. This lasted for a week or so, no rattle, but came back. Takes 10 seconds to push that pin though. I’m not interested in having my service center look at it.

Benito is correct when I had my my MYP same thing pedal rattle pressed the pin or slightly twisted by sticking your hand up.
Temporary fix when you go over bumps it comes loose

Only real fix is remove the covers and replace the pin assembly with a bigger size pin.

I won't know where to start or what size I would only have body shop do it.

I recommend just try to ignore it or once a week try pushing or tighten the pin

I do not have MYP just to harsh went with MS Refresh best move i ever made

Yea, it might've been me on reddit that suggested shifting the clevis pin. I may design a 3D printed plastic shim that can fit between to permanently keep it shifted, but worry that it may interfere with the breaking mechanism. Anyone interested let me know and I may design one for sale. I just opened up an Etsy store since my hobbies are starting to cost too much (both time and money), lol.

Reactions: fholbert
Your cars are under warranty, right? Why not take it in?
Ha! After a few service center experiences, we have learned to carefully weigh the pros/cons of asking the SC to look at small items like this. Seems there are three possible outcomes: they say it's "within spec" and you've wasted your time, they make it worse or cause other issues, or they fix it. Different SCs maybe have better/worse likelihood of a good outcome but it's always a bit of a crapshoot.

That's smart. Problem is I really can't get under the pedal to see the pin clearly. I've just been going by feel. I don't want to start removing plastic pieces.

Unfortunately, there is no way to access the pin without taking off one of the plastic covers below (remove 3 push pins and unplug electrical connector). After removing the plastic cover by the brake pedal, you could insert a rubber washer (such as from Ace Hardware) on one end of the clevis pin between the pedal itself and the bracket. This eliminates the horizontal slop and noise.

This was an easy fix, except that it was really tedious getting down there with no working room and being upside down.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 6.33.24 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 6.36.35 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 6.39.31 AM.png

Reactions: saj070
I removed my clevis pin this morning and fashioned a small spacer out of some 1/2" silicone tubing I had laying around. It took a few tries to get the right thickness. It needs to be thick enough to take up the play with a small amount of "squish". Seems to do the trick and hopefully keeps the noise from returning. Note, the last picture was taken before I replaced the hair pin clip. DO NOT FORGET TO PUT THAT BACK IN!

PXL_20230527_143702824.jpg
PXL_20230527_143800650.jpg
PXL_20230527_143750552.jpg

That being said, it is only a temp fix. I have schedule an appointment with service center to have a permanent fix. I send them the video via the apps and they approved the fix at no charge. So I suggest for all MY 2023 model - bring it in the service center and have a permanent fix. (its covered under warranty).

That being said, it is only a temp fix. I have schedule an appointment with service center to have a permanent fix. I send them the video via the apps and they approved the fix at no charge. So I suggest for all MY 2023 model - bring it in the service center and have a permanent fix. (its covered under warranty).
Do you think wiping the pin/pedal contact areas with silicone would be strong enough to keep the pin from moving around?