Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MY brake pedal rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your cars are under warranty, right? Why not take it in?
can service center fix this under warranty?
I asked that earlier. I'm an avid DIY'er, so I understand wanting to quickly resolve an issue like this, but when it comes to modifying the brakes on a new car under warranty, I'd take it in just so no blame gets passed to me under any circumstance. If the SC says it's within spec or whatever, I'd escalate.

Tesla service bulletin exists for Berlin built Ys. Clearly this noise issue isn't limited to Berlin Ys though. Maybe mention this service bulletin when you are attempting to get this fixed. Access to these service bulletins is free on service.tesla.com
Brake pin 1.png

Brake pin 2.png

Tesla service bulletin exists for Berlin built Ys. Clearly this noise issue isn't limited to Berlin Ys though. Maybe mention this service bulletin when you are attempting to get this fixed. Access to these service bulletins is free on service.tesla.comView attachment 943557

View attachment 943558
Great to have this, thanks! Where did you find it by the way? I’ve been searching and can’t find the bulletin anywhere.

My car was made in Fremont so I hope they would still address it if the VIN doesn’t match up.

Do you think this noise reduction grease stay gel-like over time? Or would it wear off with friction over time?

Last edited:
Great to have this, thanks! Where did you find it by the way? I’ve been searching and can’t find the bulletin anywhere.

My car was made in Fremont so I hope they would still address it if the VIN doesn’t match up.

Do you think this noise reduction grease stay gel-like over time? Or would it wear off with friction over time?
Do you have a service.tesla account? The annual subscription cost for the basic service information is $0 (free). From the main page you can click on any vehicle model to open a new model specific page. From there you can click on "Service Documents for all Models" listed under the "Service Information" heading. That page lists all service bulletins.

I can't speak for the longevity of the grease fix. Manufactures will always use the cheapest possible fix to limp the car through the remainder of the warranty period. If that eventually fails, you can always try one of the more permanent fixes some other users have posted in this thread.

Reactions: Benito1283
A couple days ago I smeared some silicone on the flat side of the pin (facing the center of the car) after pushing into the the non-rattle position. I tried to get the silicone all around the area where the pin touches the pedal so it would stay put. I’ve driven about a hundred miles since then and it hasn’t rattled at all. It would usually revert back to rattling after just hitting a few bumps, so I’m hoping this will fix it.

silicone as in grease?
A couple days ago I smeared some silicone on the flat side of the pin (facing the center of the car) after pushing into the the non-rattle position. I tried to get the silicone all around the area where the pin touches the pedal so it would stay put. I’ve driven about a hundred miles since then and it hasn’t rattled at all. It would usually revert back to rattling after just hitting a few bumps, so I’m hoping this will fix it.
silicone grease?

I managed to schedule an appointment with Tesla. When I arrive there, the service technician asked me to prove it to him. Immediately I bent over upside down and removed the foam and told him I am already done (they were chuckling when I did that lol). We went for 3 rounds on the hardest pavement and every time it rattled I pointed with my finger to the dashboard (but kept silent so he can experience the full beauty of the rattle).

He noticed that the sound was coming from the dashboard and thought it could be the left front speaker but I told him it was from the brake pedal arm that extends all the way up. I told him that I have removed the speaker and all the dashboards including the wood trim and there was still a rattle. He agrees and let me send it in for service.

The next day when I got my car back, I went to the hardest pavement I could find and there was absolutely no rattle at all. Complete silent. WOW, I was very happy. I even went to the worst construction road that was partially closed and it was completely silent. I am glad to report its fixed permanently at $0 cost.

I suggest you all to send it in. Tesla replace the pins and clip with a better one. That's it!. no more sliding.

Reactions: Benito1283
Unfortunately, there is no way to access the pin without taking off one of the plastic covers below (remove 3 push pins and unplug electrical connector). After removing the plastic cover by the brake pedal, you could insert a rubber washer (such as from Ace Hardware) on one end of the clevis pin between the pedal itself and the bracket. This eliminates the horizontal slop and noise.

This was an easy fix, except that it was really tedious getting down there with no working room and being upside down.

View attachment 941561View attachment 941562View attachment 941564
Thanks for the awesome suggestion. I was able to remedy the rattle. I used nylon washers I found at Home Depot that came in as a pair. In case someone needed help to find suitable washers.

IMG_2499.jpeg

Reactions: Terry Yang
Thanks for the awesome suggestion. I was able to remedy the rattle. I used nylon washers I found at Home Depot that came in as a pair. In case someone needed help to find suitable washers.

View attachment 973021
Where did you put this on the
Pin?

I removed my clevis pin this morning and fashioned a small spacer out of some 1/2" silicone tubing I had laying around. It took a few tries to get the right thickness. It needs to be thick enough to take up the play with a small amount of "squish". Seems to do the trick and hopefully keeps the noise from returning. Note, the last picture was taken before I replaced the hair pin clip. DO NOT FORGET TO PUT THAT BACK IN!

View attachment 941574View attachment 941575View attachment 941576
Can you help and advise how do fix the issue in video below? Is the lte a tensioning nut I can tighten? Thanks