Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone keep up with microinverter companies like Enphase? Would that be a good company to invest in? I know they have most of the market share....or someone like SolarEdge who just had their IPO? I don't know much about these companies, so I wouldn't know where to begin.....any pointers? Thanks!

We refuse to install anymore enphase.

We installed one SolarEdge system in 2010 and have never had a problem with it. Will be installing the second one next week.

Solaredge has a big advantage for a new code section. NEC 2014 690.12. This is a differentiator for now at least.

Micro inverters are still a technology that has to prove itself. Large solar installers tend not to favor them due to longevity issues and the hassle of replacing them when they fritz out. Also there are newer technologies coming, for example, AC coupling to allow solar to be a backup power source, and it isn't clear how micro inverters would handle this.

We refuse to install anymore enphase.

We installed one SolarEdge system in 2010 and have never had a problem with it. Will be installing the second one next week.

Solaredge has a big advantage for a new code section. NEC 2014 690.12. This is a differentiator for now at least.

ah, good info. thanks guys!

I didn't know Solaredge had gone public or I would have invested in them. Their optimizers are more efficient than micro-inverters. We have a SolarEdge system with Canadian Solar panels and are quite happy with it. Then again it's the only system we've ever had!

So I just posted this in the cool tech stock thread as I hadn't noticed this one at the time, I guess I'll copy it to here too even though I'm sure its preaching to the choir.

"Even though its probably a stretch to include solar, I would like recommend looking into chinese solar. Generally solar is on the way up and has been so for a while, we all know that, prices have dropped a lot, is now reaching parity with fossils, and is still dropping around 10% a year, with demand increasing by much more than that, global demand is expected to increase around 30% in 2015, so a significant net increase in total revenue. Gross margins on modules have been depressed since the supply bubble in 2012, but demand has caught up and margins have been expanding a lot lately allowing for the Chinese solar stocks to start showing profit.

Another very important thing happening in the industry is the shift for the module makers to move downstream into projects, which sells for around 3 times the cost of the module and with higher margins to boot, now this seems to me to be a real game changer and the shift downstream is happening pretty fast. Trina solar went from building I think it was 100 MW of solar projects last year to a guidance of 700 MW this year. Jinko Solar went from like 200 last year to a guidance of 600-800 MW this year, or in that neighbourhood, just going off my memory here, has been some days since I looked into it. Those two companies are some of the biggest module producers in the world with around 3.5GW of production last year with guidance suggesting around a 20% increase this year. They are valued at around $1B (being the highest valued chinese solar stocks I believe if you discount CSIQ) with expected revenues around $2,5B this year.

Now they do have significant debt and the investment doesn't come without risk, but if they continue to increase module production and moves downstream with a lot more than they are doing today, which is the trend, then we could be looking at $5-7B in revenues for 2017. Say the achieved a 10% net profit margin and was priced at a P/E of 10, the market cap would match the $5-7B of revenue which would give you a return of 400-600%.

Give it a look, could make for a great investment but to repeat myself it doesn't come without serious risk too, obviously. For comparison american solar stocks are prices around 1.5-2 times their revenue, they are probably a decent investment as well but with the Chinese solar valued at a quarter of their american counterparts they do seem a lot more interesting. I have recently invested in TSL, JKS and JASO.

Lastly I want to mention that there are a few Chinese solar companies with a pretty large production valued very cheaply (and rightly so) like ReneSola at a mkt cap of $187M with 2014 revenue almost 10 times that, they have a very large debt though and not a lot of cash on hand, most of their debt is even due short term which puts them at significant bankrupt risk as I doubt banks are lining up to lend them capital considering their paperthin margins. If these companies like ReneSola goes under it will open up for the healthier, larger companies like TSL, JKS and JASO to increase market share and will probably lighten the margin pressure too."

Like I said I really think the shift to more projects will be a huge game changer, what do you guys think? Seems like the stars are aligning for the chinese solars.

This thread sort of moved over to Solar | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board. I hope it is OK I reference the other forum because you will find a lot more information there and other investors who agree with you. Of course you will also be preaching to the choir there. I am invested in solar, 3 US companies and 3 Chinese companies. CSIQ, TSL, and JASO are the Chinese companies.

Ah yeah that forum is a gem, I follow it too, some dedicated people over there. Without having spent much time looking into CSIQ it doesn't seem to have the same upside as the other chinese solars, if you want to put them in the same box, I guess they produce everything in Asia right? But with around the same module production as TSL and JKS they seem to be valued double because they are further ahead downstream, but does it really justify double the market cap? Downstream seems to be where everyone is going, so unless building projects is really hard JKS and TSL seem to have pretty much the same potential for mkt cap as CSIQ.

This thread sort of moved over to Solar | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board. I hope it is OK I reference the other forum because you will find a lot more information there and other investors who agree with you. Of course you will also be preaching to the choir there. I am invested in solar, 3 US companies and 3 Chinese companies. CSIQ, TSL, and JASO are the Chinese companies.
You're correct that we normally don't allow links to other forums, but in this case we've explicitly decided not to host extensive discussions of non-TSLA non-SCTY stocks on TMC. Thanks for being aware of the issue, though.

I was just reading up on various solar technologies, and happened upon this chart on wikipedia, which lists the historical efficiencies of all sorts of different types of cells: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Best_Research-Cell_Efficiencies.png

One in particular stood out to me, the "emerging PV" of "perovskite cells." It seems these were just discovered a few years ago, and in only a few years have gone from ~3% efficiency to 20%. The chart shows them advancing in basically a straight line. This is interesting - obviously it will level off somewhere, but if they can continue efficiency gains, and if the material is cheap (as it supposedly is), then this could be an interesting technology. Apparently there are a number of startups thinking of commercializing it (one in Poland, which is interesting as I have family there), might have cells out in the next few years, most of the research seems to be happening in public research facilities in France and Korea. So it doesn't look like anything that could be invested in except at the startup level, which involves more capital than I'm able to command I'm sure.

That said, this is all I've heard of it. Does anyone else have any opinion of this technology, or heard of it before, or anything?

Darn I almost bought some at the IPO for no other reason than the fact that I have a SolarEdge inverter in my system. I guess you can't win them all...

I wanted in too but alas no capital. My brother took up a small position after I reccomended he check them out. So at least he is getting some benefit of this awesome price rise!

I will pick up a small position in the future when I diversify if they are still in a good position.

I found a very interesting, in-depth article on Politico about the fight to eliminate coal in the U.S. and the rise of alternative energy. Highly recommended. Money quote:

Michael Grunwald on Politico.com said:
"They're sophisticated, they're very active, and they're better funded than we are", says Mike Duncan, a former Republican National Committee chairman who now heads the industry-backed American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity. "I don't like what they're doing; we're losing a lot of coal in this country. But they do show up."

Coal still helps keep our lights on, generating nearly 40 percent of U.S. power. But it generated more than 50 percent just over a decade ago, and the big question now is how rapidly its decline will continue. Almost every watt of new generating capacity is coming from natural gas, wind or solar; the coal industry now employs fewer workers than the solar industry, which barely existed in 2010. Utilities no longer even bother to propose new coal plants to replace the old ones they retire. Coal industry stocks are tanking, and analysts are predicting a new wave of coal bankruptcies.

Inside the war on coal