Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They weren't talking about your total electric bill, just the "savings" of $216/mo. Regardless, it's a crock of BS. Unless the sun shines 24/7 for 365 days a year, or the rates are .45/kWh or more the entire time the sun is shining, you can't save that much with a 1.4kW system.

They may be talking about using the batteries to offset the time of use charges. Which are the most expensive rates. That's the big draw for commercial to use batteries.

They weren't talking about your total electric bill, just the "savings" of $216/mo. Regardless, it's a crock of BS. Unless the sun shines 24/7 for 365 days a year, or the rates are .45/kWh or more the entire time the sun is shining, you can't save that much with a 1.4kW system.

Hey guys, I misread this one initially as well. What they are saying is that their ENERGY SAVING home with a 1.4kW solar system will save you $216/month on electricity when compare to typical used/resale home without the energy saving installation and without a solar system.

They are not claiming that the solar system will save $216, but rather that the entire home will save $216/month vs. typical resale home. They probably used some aggressive assumptions, but they did talk about a 3600 sq. ft. home, so it is somewhat believable to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess whether you hold the calls or the puts short is all dependent on whether you believe in the "long term story" of the company. I have been tossing over in my head whether the solar pop will be faded over the next few months, or if the Iraq issues were just a catalyst that was needed to bring solar back in line with a more fair value, not oversold.

In regard to your 5:30 pm comment- is that brokerage specific, and is that Option-expiration-date specific? In talking to a fidelity representative, i had the impression that weekly (not monthly) options have a different time for the last chance phone-call to exercise. I thought that weeklies had till 4:30, and monthlies had until much later, but the discrepancy could be that we are at different brokerages. I also was wondering if it's possible to choose to exercise all the way until saturday at noon. i have only read some of the CBOE booklet and haven't come across a hard and fixed time yet.

I could be mistaken on the 5:30 timeframe, but everything that I have read points to this being the cutoff time, at least for normal monthly options. I am not sure if this applies to weeklies as well. I have also read some brokerage scams where guys would exercise their options as late as Monday morning when good news came out.

Also here is a link that shows how one JASO shareholder sold short $11's, and the stock finished last week on OE at $11.01. He did not get his shares called away:

https://finance.yahoo.com/mbview/th...6tls%3Dla%252Cd%252C8%252C3&mbtc=mb-tab-topic

SPWR because of guidance - I might add more in the next few days. JASO and JKS in sympathy? jaso reports 9/4 and JKS 8/13. I'm hoping that will drive them higher. I just added to my JASO position after market yesterday and today it is down even more. I added to my JKS a few days ago when it went to 25. I'm underwater on both JASO and JKS now (not counting options).

Where is sleepyhead when we need him the most. SPWR and JASO both tanking. Wonder, why?

Sleepy has a newborn baby and is really busy but I'm sure he'll be back around. If you want to check out his comments on solar immediately, he sometimes posts more frequently on his other site, The Contrarian Investor.

As for my take, prices of Chinese solars are being heavily suppressed by someone with deep pockets because it is easy to do so given low market caps, and the protectionism from US regulators has people spooked some as well.

Outside of a blip last August, JASO looks to be lower than it's been for a year. I'd buy...if i hadn't exhausted my funds from buying it 2 days ago :). Still, it seemed a pretty good price then and I suppose it will look good again in a few months.

Canadian Solar beats by $0.37, beats on revs; guides Q3 revs in-line (CSIQ) : Reports Q2 (Jun) earnings of $0.95 per share, $0.37 better than the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of $0.58; revenues rose 64.0% year/year to $623.8 mln vs the $577.65 mln consensus.

Canadian Solar beats by $0.37, beats on revs; guides Q3 revs in-line (CSIQ) : Reports Q2 (Jun) earnings of $0.95 per share, $0.37 better than the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of $0.58; revenues rose 64.0% year/year to $623.8 mln vs the $577.65 mln consensus.

After their dismal Q1 ER it is nice to see. Premarket they are up 8+%......

I am glad I own some. Today I wish I owned a LOT.

CSIQ is my second largest holding after TSLA. 15 million traded vs. normally 3 million. Up 24% as of now. Sweet. We're back on trajectory I guess. The market is really quarter to quarter with these solars.

Sleepyhead said it a thousand times: the solars are buy and hold, not for Q2Q trading.

I'm just glad to be solidly back in green with my CSIQ position which has been red for quite some time. Never even contemplated selling. I shouldha bought more though when we dipped this low yesterday. Now if I only had a time machine...

CSIQ is my second largest holding after TSLA. 15 million traded vs. normally 3 million. Up 24% as of now. Sweet. We're back on trajectory I guess. The market is really quarter to quarter with these solars.

Sleepyhead said it a thousand times: the solars are buy and hold, not for Q2Q trading.

I'm just glad to be solidly back in green with my CSIQ position which has been red for quite some time. Never even contemplated selling. I shouldha bought more though when we dipped this low yesterday. Now if I only had a time machine...

I have hung in there with CSIQ also (stock and LEAPS). One of my LEAPS today is up 125%, needless to say it was down 60% at one time so I still have a lot of work to do to get to even.

This article Solar Boom Driving First Global Panel Shortage Since 2006 - Bloomberg from Bloomberg out last night US time (18 Aug), albeit fairly sloppily written, provides a bit of color into the global SS/DD for PV panels coming more into balance than it has been for some while. AND...because of a very heavy increase in demand, rather than because of more diminution of supply.

To the extent this is and remains the situation, then Washington's re-application of punitive tariffs against the Chinese suppliers will be more and more irrelevant.

The article's sloppiness makes it easy to pick what you want: Prices going up! Production cap at X! or X-20%! and so on, but there appears to be enough color from industry leaders to suggest its not all whistling past the graveyard; rather, that the recent bottom is well and truly past us.

Does Jinkos South African production help it get around US tariffs? The stock reaction to earnings was not at all what I expected. With stock + options, Jinko is nearing my third largest investment after Tesla and Apple and I'm not sure how to take this kind of under-reaction - opportunity to add is not lost or that this is a losing game against bigger players?

There used to be quite a bit off enthusiasm about JASO on this thread. Today they reported earnings. No one is talking about it. Any insights from the report? The report may not be great but did anything change in terms of the story/reasoning?

I didn't look at it closely, but felt like it can be a great value stock for a while. Not sure if the reasoning is in-tact.