Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adios: Stepping back from TMC and likely Tesla in general

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an inevitable consequence of an open internet, where personal accountability is optional. I remember when, years ago, Bill Gates suggested that the Internet would be a better place if people were required to use their real identities online. Many serious blogging sites do indeed have this requirement, and a credit card account is used for identity verification.

Tesla's unusually high media profile is both good and bad for the TMC site. The company takes advantage of controversy and hyperbole but also pays a price for it. I have also spent countless hours defending and explaining Tesla's technology in the comment sections of dozens of news sites. I've never thought of myself as a fanboy. I've been a Model S owner for 2-1/2 years and have dealt with the various manufacturing issues that other early adopters have experienced. No car is perfect, but as Consumer Reports has said, the Model S has so many checks in the plus column its gasoline-powered competition has been left in the dust. Traditional metrics that define what makes a car great have had to be rewritten.

I've also volunteered at Tesla sales events in my region, offering prospective owners a real-world view of Tesla ownership. That's a very different experience than defending electric cars on the Internet where many already have their minds made up. I believe many people are anti-EV simply because they don't want to find themselves on the wrong side of the social/technology fence. They're invested in the idea that gasoline is the "right" technology, both now and in the future. And in reality EV's still can't offer the price/performance of gasoline cars, at least not yet.

All of this said, the OP of this thread has experienced a level of vitriol beyond anything I've experienced, in spite of posting under my real name in every forum. I don't blame him for pulling the plug. In his shoes, I wouldn't hesitate to get the authorities involved.

Last edited:
I have no idea what would motivate someone to harass wk057 like this. It's sick.
^^^ You hit the nail on the head! ^^^

It's obvious that the person harassing WK is a social misfit with absolutely nothing better to do with his (her?) life, who is getting some sick personal thrill in the attention this thread and WK's harassment is bringing him, and who is truly a sick, self-serving individual revelling in his own childish behavior at the expense of others, and who, if he got out a little more often or had a friend or two, probably wouldn't do stupid sh*t like this.

These forums are no place for that type of personality, and we'd all be so much better off it the person responsible for this harassment would "accidentally" fall out of a very high airplane without a parachute. (okay, maybe that's a bit harsh)

Yeah, it's just infuriating. Whoever you are out there, we know you're reading this... Grow up, take your meds, get a friend, hell, get a dog, but keep your issues to yourself.

WK: All of us (well, maybe all but one) here in TMC appreciate the value you've brought to the forum. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there's no right or wrong one. This is supposed to be a place where we can have friendly discussions, debates, or simply be a place to share ideas. Add to that the incredible value and knowledge you personally have brought to the forum, and it's that much more the loss should you leave. Even when I'm just skimming through 50 or so pages of posts looking for highlights, there's several users I stop and read -- you're one of those. (And bonnie. Everybody loves bonnie.) Please do keep us up with your next amazing project, whether it's a Tesla battery powered go cart that does 150 mph, or an anti-zombie ray using the surplus power from that ridiculously massive solar project of yours.

And good luck with all this craziness.

Last edited:
This is surprising and concerning. Wk; it's likely a psychiatrically ill person doing this and I think it will actually be important to get the help of the relevant authorities to get to the bottom of it, for your and your SO's safety.

If you don't quickly get the help you need I'd consider spending a little on a good Private Investigator to unwind this thing for you. You seem like you are in an economical situation to be able to do this if worse comes to worse.

Good luck and we hope to keep you here on TMC.

Definitely should point out that this definitely is not the fault of the moderators, especially considering some of the issues are outside the boundaries of the forum.

While I think some of the threads where the arguments just keep going in circles, and get no where, could use a little more moderation (or just closed maybe) I don't blame the moderators for the actions of other members.

For now I'll just put on my tinfoil hat and just say it's big oil. :p

While I fully agree that moderators can't address issues outside of the forum, my main issue was with the attacks that are allowed to transpire in the forum, particularly if it's perceived as a "pro-Tesla" position that the attacker is taking.

I apologize for coming so late to this thread.

I did see the post from wk057 about a week ago in which he wrote of possibly blocking his own access to TMC for a while, so I wasn't that surprised that I wasn't seeing posts from him. I only found this thread when I saw a post today and noticed the link in his sig file.

I hope by now the authorities have caught or are hot on the trail of the miscreant calling and texting you, wk057.

I will endeavor to continue fighting some of the battles we were fighting together. It's nice to read the comments in this thread from some of the people that haven't necessarily agreed with us, but at least respect our position.

Thanks for all you've done, and all you've taught me, and all of us!

I remember a BBC documentary featuring a couple of Apple fans. A psychological analysis of their relationship with Apple showed they had the same feelings as a religious person toward God.
Apple triggers 'religious' reaction in fans' brains, report says - CNN.com
The same thing happens on this forum sometimes : some members behave like the members of a cult. Vigorous and sustained criticism of Tesla by people like you threatens to shatter their fragile personality. Their narcissism depends on the idealization of Tesla.
On the other hand, you seem to be an idealist. Maybe you would feel more at peace with your car if you accepted that not everyone is as intelligent and honest as you. The failure of Tesla regarding Autopilot might be explained by Elon's lack of empathy, caused by his father; he does not understand the human brain, and underestimates the complexity of what the brain does. He believes software can easily emulate what a driver's brain does. Tough luck so far.

The internet seems to amplify my 5/5/90 rule where I would work hard to know 5% of the people, already know to avoid 5% and the remaining 90% I have little in common with. WK and I hold differing views on a few things but he definitely falls into the 5% of "good guys". Regretfully, he has attracted the attention of one in the other 5%. I am sorry to hear this and sad that you have had to put up with the crap.

The above said, step back and return perspective to your life without the crap. I am certain we will see you again in full force once this junk blows over.