Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to see more people post what they paid and what repairs they had to make after. .

I got my 2022 Model 3 Long Range (approx 97,250 miles) for $19K - $4K (used EV rebate @ POS), so $15K before taxes/fees/etc.

This was near the end of February, I was trying to buy basically any M3LR for as cheap as possible because I felt like the prices wouldn’t stay this low. When I check on their site, I haven’t seen really any this low lately, so I’m glad I did.

So far the car has been amazing, but I’m still figuring out range and wh/mi consumption to know what I can really expect from this car. I would do it again in an instant.

As far as mileage, I wasn’t too stressed because the warranty for Long Range is 120K miles/8 years. So that’s like a 1-2 year drivetrain warranty. It at least gives me a little peace of mind on a used purchase.

Reactions: timeshifter
This was incredibly helpful, thank you! Would love to see more people post what they paid and what repairs they had to make after.
2022 RWD LFP, bought from Mitshubishi dealer instead of hertz. Got point of sale 4000 credit. 38K miles and dealer put brand new firestone tires.

$24,700-4000=20,700, no hidden fee. plain 350$ doc fee plus tax and title.

Driver door hinge was making sound and driver window was also loud. Took it to Tesla both fixed under warranty.
My post purchase expenses are at zero right now. Thinking of getting tints.

There are lots of reasons why I’d personally never buy a previous rental/rideshare car. Frequent supercharging wouldn’t even crack the top ten.

Even “poopy” legacy S/X were generally just fine with supercharging all the time. Don’t recall many/any examples of battery failures that were conclusively the result of fast charging. I easily put 40,000 miles of DCFC through mine (of a total 175,000 miles).
We’ve both been around since the OG days of Tesla. Can you give me your top ten? Asking because I’m planning to pick up a higher mileage low priced 3 that I’m going to give to my (teen) daughter. I just sold her Prius C for $14k and after rebate can pick up a Tesla from hertz for not much more. Financially it makes better sense but curious your reasoning as I don’t want to make an mis step here. We’ve got a 14MS, 22M3 and 23MY.

Reactions: ucmndd
We’ve both been around since the OG days of Tesla. Can you give me your top ten? Asking because I’m planning to pick up a higher mileage low priced 3 that I’m going to give to my (teen) daughter. I just sold her Prius C for $14k and after rebate can pick up a Tesla from hertz for not much more. Financially it makes better sense but curious your reasoning as I don’t want to make an mis step here. We’ve got a 14MS, 22M3 and 23MY.
I was being a bit hyperbolic perhaps. ;)

While I’d probably not want one for myself still, I could see a lot of value for a teen driver, particularly if you’re eligible for the used tax rebate.

My main concerns would be wear and tear from lots of hard launches and hard driving from people with no vested interest in caring for the car, general interior/exterior condition, things like that. Rentals lead a hard life. Of course these things probably matter less to young/inexperienced drivers and not having to worry much about dings, rattles, and scrapes might even be a positive if you can get a good enough deal.

I’d probably consider one for my teen daughter too. Safe, generally reliable, cheap to fuel, good to go! 👍🏻

Also it seems like the price delta between new and used has opened up quite a bit since Jan, so the value proposition is a lot better now.

While I’d probably not want one for myself still, I could see a lot of value for a teen driver, particularly if you’re eligible for the used tax rebate.

My main concerns would be wear and tear from lots of hard launches and hard driving from people with no vested interest in caring for the car, general interior/exterior condition, things like that. Rentals lead a hard life. Of course these things probably matter less to young/inexperienced drivers and not having to worry much about dings, rattles, and scrapes might even be a positive if you can get a good enough deal.

I’d probably consider one for my teen daughter too. Safe, generally reliable, cheap to fuel, good to go! 👍🏻

Also it seems like the price delta between new and used has opened up quite a bit since Jan, so the value proposition is a lot better now.
Hertz teslas were locked on chill mode .

The interesting thing about the Hertz Tesla fleet is that many of these vehicles were rented to ridesharing drivers, who have an incentive to drive cautiously because they want to please their passengers. I surmise that most of the high-mileage vehicles on the market at the moment were ridesharing vehicles and are thus quite well preserved.

Hertz teslas were locked on chill mode .
Even if this is true. Which is wasn’t across the board. It was super hit and miss. Even a tesla locked in chill is fast for someone who’s never driven a tesla. We have a p85D 0-60 in 3.0. MY 0-60 in 4.0. Rwd M3 0-60 in 5.8. A friend borrows our 3 and brought it back “that was so fast. Omg. So fast. Are you kidding me right now. I gave him the fob for our S and he took it and came back and was like holy hell that was like a roller coaster. So…so the average person they likely still launched them etc.

I appreciate your candor. I would NOT buy one for me. Hence the 2023 MY that’s mine. 😊. And I agree with everything you posted 💯.
I like being able to know what’s she’s doing. When she’s doing it and how fast she’s doing it. (She’s a bit of a speed demon. 😬) but I also feel like if there was to be an accident I’d rather have it happen in a tesla than any other car out there.

• Love
Reactions: ucmndd
I have an issue with using my phone as a key. It seems the car forgets that my phone key is linked to my profile. Every time I unplug from the charger and enter the car (always unlocked in garage) it doesn't show my profile name. When I tap on the profile area, my account is listed on the left and it asks to link a profile to my phone key on the right. So I do, and my phone will stay linked until I charge the car again. I am also not able to assign my profile to a physical key card permanently, as I click the little person icon next to them and it says my name but after a charge there is no name next to the key card.

The reason this is a pain is because I have to re-enable autosteer or the FSD trial every time, which needs to happen in park, which is impossible when on the freeway. Most of the other settings seem to remain.

Could Hertz have changed something where any of the key card / profile related changes are reverted, so that you couldn't steal it after your rental was up if you saw it in a parking lot or something? Not sure if you can add a phone key to a rental that Hertz still owns.

I can take a video or couple of pictures if my steps don't make sense.

I have an issue with using my phone as a key. It seems the car forgets that my phone key is linked to my profile. Every time I unplug from the charger and enter the car (always unlocked in garage) it doesn't show my profile name. When I tap on the profile area, my account is listed on the left and it asks to link a profile to my phone key on the right. So I do, and my phone will stay linked until I charge the car again. I am also not able to assign my profile to a physical key card permanently, as I click the little person icon next to them and it says my name but after a charge there is no name next to the key card.

The reason this is a pain is because I have to re-enable autosteer or the FSD trial every time, which needs to happen in park, which is impossible when on the freeway. Most of the other settings seem to remain.

Could Hertz have changed something where any of the key card / profile related changes are reverted, so that you couldn't steal it after your rental was up if you saw it in a parking lot or something? Not sure if you can add a phone key to a rental that Hertz still owns.

I can take a video or couple of pictures if my steps don't make sense.
did you complete steps of tranfer ownership and reset the car?

Is the resetting of the car always necessary (if bought from Hertz)? I transferred the ownership, but haven't done a reset yet, and everything seems fine for me?

(just wondering if I'm missing anything by not doing this)

Also, would performing an update (like the current one with FSD trial) basically be a reset?

I purchased a Blue 2022 Model 3 RWD with 63.5k miles. Sale price was $21,250 plus 750 in fees/taxes, $22k OTD(I don't qualify for the tax credit). Carfax reported tires were replaced and alignment was performed at 62.5k miles and indeed the car has a brand new set of Michelin Primacy tires all the way round. Wheels are 19" and have no curb-rash and are in excellent condition(very shocked about this, maybe they were refinished?). Front of car has a decent amount of rock chips but nothing unexpected for the mileage. interior is nearly flawless. Car does ha a s few scuffs in the paint that may buff out. At full charge it reads 259mi. I have since put a little more than 1500mi on the car with out a single issue. I do intend to do some road noise reduction. I also prefer the 18" wheels/tires so I will be making a WTT post regarding that on TMC soon. Overall would do this again.

Is the resetting of the car always necessary (if bought from Hertz)? I transferred the ownership, but haven't done a reset yet, and everything seems fine for me?

Also, would performing an update (like the current one with FSD trial) basically be a reset?
it was mentioned by someone here . so i did it. not sure if its necessary

Yes reseting is necessary to get it out of the rental mode. Phone key and AP/FSD will keep reseting until you do it.

Yes reseting is necessary to get it out of the rental mode. Phone key and AP/FSD will keep reseting until you do it.

OK, well I wonder if mine reset automatically at some point after they transferred ownership in the app, because my key doesn't reset (it did once before the car was in my account on the app). I haven't tested AP/FSD yet (I've owned this for over a month now).

I did get the car transferred into my Tesla account before I ever linked a phone key. I have also done the factory reset option. Pretty sure I did that factory reset before bothering to link the phone.

Could be that my phone has crappy bluetooth (older S7) but seems too coincidental that it happens only after charging.

I see people talking about setting the default profile, but cannot find an option for that. Maybe since I'm the only profile it doesn't show that option.