Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did get the car transferred into my Tesla account before I ever linked a phone key. I have also done the factory reset option. Pretty sure I did that factory reset before bothering to link the phone.

Could be that my phone has crappy bluetooth (older S7) but seems too coincidental that it happens only after charging.

I see people talking about setting the default profile, but cannot find an option for that. Maybe since I'm the only profile it doesn't show that option.
Time to buy an $80 iPhone SE2 to see it resolves issue .

OK, well I wonder if mine reset automatically at some point after they transferred ownership in the app, because my key doesn't reset (it did once before the car was in my account on the app). I haven't tested AP/FSD yet (I've owned this for over a month now).
Doss it pop up every drive asking you to agree to terms and conditions? I kinda wonder if some cars were never put into the rental mode as some people have said their car didn't lock them out of changing the acceleration modes too.

Bought a 2nd Tesla from Hertz last week with the $4000 EV credit taken at the point of sale. Got the ownership transferred and the Hertz guest mode software removed by calling Tesla with the phone number posted above.

This is what I bought: 2022 Model 3 standard range, 75k miles, pretty good condition, normal wear and tear, LFP battery instead of NMC (charge to 100% every day without worry), full charge estimate is 255 miles, roughly 6-7% degradation from new.
Final price was $22790 - $4000 EV credit + $499 doc fee (paperwork) + $1900 sales tax.

As Doc_Hudson mentioned, prices for used Teslas seem to be going up a bit. I don't see any Teslas priced under $25k at Hertz any more in my area. I still see some in other states.

Last edited:
Also I found out the Model 3 RWD I just got from Hertz has a Lithium low voltage battery. It's not a 12v lead acid like in my M3LR. It's actually a lithium 16V. This is great! I don't have to replace the low voltage battery ever! Lead acid batteries typically last 2 or 3 years here in the desert.

Doss it pop up every drive asking you to agree to terms and conditions? I kinda wonder if some cars were never put into the rental mode as some people have said their car didn't lock them out of changing the acceleration modes too.

Yeah, I don't think I was locked out of the acceleration modes and I didn't get any pop ups. It did reset my favorites on the navigation before I got it transferred though.

As Doc_Hudson mentioned, prices for used Teslas seem to be going up a bit. I don't see any Teslas priced under $25k at Hertz any more in my area. I still see some in other states.

And this was exactly why I was rushing to buy one. I felt like once the EV tax credit got popular, things would sell out/go up in price.

Also I found out the Model 3 RWD I just got from Hertz has a Lithium low voltage battery. It's not a 12v lead acid like in my M3LR. It's actually a lithium 16V. This is great! I don't have to replace the low voltage battery ever! Lead acid batteries typically last 2 or 3 years here in the desert.

How did you verify this? I'd like to check if mine is also Lithium. One of the techs said that they replaced my 12v sometime in its life when I went to buy Air Filters.

It'll be on the Additional vehicle information screen.
Or you can open the hood/frunk and remove the plastic panel right in front of the windshield wipers and you can see the battery. A lithium ion battery will look like a silver metal box while a lead acid battery will look like a standard car battery.

lithiumbatt.jpg

Reactions: Doc_Hudson
My experience: Like others mentioned with the EV credit and people finding out whats going on I found only a few local models qualifying for the 25k rebate. Some private seller options pop up here and there and through Tesla used you're only going to find usually at best a 2020 with high miles, or more likely a 2018 or 2019.

I noticed a lot of local dealers selling these also, they're buying them at auction from Hertz and reselling. One place I went the cars smelled like smoke, hadn't been cleaned, and some had control arm issues or accidents on the carfax, I just didn't want any of that

I found a 2022 RWD at a dealer 100 miles away with 45k miles, which to me meant I could figure out what was wrong with it and have it replaced within 5k miles. They knew what they had though and wouldn't come down on price, just under 25k-4k EV credit, plus doc fee/out of state reg fees. With tax and everything came out around 23, but they also bought my old car which for convenience was worth it to me.

There a mild scuff on the rear panel that would probably buff out, minor scuffs here and there and whirls on the paint from constant car washes, but none of that matters to me. The car drives great, Ryzen CPU, LFP battery, heat pump, updated trim, and the heated steering wheel/seats were all were nice things to have. I inspected everything I could think of with reading checklists online, including heat/cooling/glass, buttons, steering wheel ware, touchscreen, etc, and everything seemed to work fine, although I did notice the rear tires were quite worn.

Driving it home I couldn't get comfortable, it seemed like it was blowing cold air and the seats and steering wheel were all that were keeping me warm, heat only seemed to work when car temp was on HI/defog. I brought it by my local Tesla dealership just to see if I was a moron and didn't know how to use the buttons, but the heat wasn't working unless on high. I couldn't get heating to start remotely, and internal temp sensor was showing all sorts of wrong numbers.

I made an appointment on the app (I had no issues registering the Tesla to my app in the dealership parking lot) and dropped off the car and they gave me a loaner. The replaced a charge port sensor and VCRight and humidity sensors and heat is working again. Apparently this is a common issue when the front glass is replaced, so beware.

Getting rear tires replaced this week.

All in all I think it was a great deal. Minor headaches but I'm loving the car, and don't have too many worries considering the car is still under warranty, which was important to me. I also can get it extended for another 25k miles for 1800 before it expires if I want to. Anywho those are my thoughts, feel free to ask questions, hope it helps.

Bought a 2nd Tesla from Hertz last week with the $4000 EV credit taken at the point of sale. Got the ownership transferred and the Hertz guest mode software removed by calling Tesla with the phone number posted above.

This is what I bought: 2022 Model 3 standard range, 75k miles, pretty good condition, normal wear and tear, LFP battery instead of NMC (charge to 100% every day without worry), full charge estimate is 255 miles, roughly 6-7% degradation from new.
Final price was $22790 - $4000 EV credit + $499 doc fee (paperwork) + $1900 sales tax.

How you are going to claim 2nd credit ? Isn’t it 1 credit per 3 years

I am also curious about this. I have tried to find out if a Husband and wife can each have 1, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe that I can.

If husband and wife file their taxes separately they can each get the EV credit, but the income limit for each person is $75k.
If husband and wife file taxes together, they can only get one EV credit and the income limit is $150k.

If husband and wife file their taxes separately they can each get the EV credit, but the income limit for each person is $75k.
If husband and wife file taxes together, they can only get one EV credit and the income limit is $150k.

Bummer, that's kind of what I suspected due to the lack of clarity on their website. Well, I guess I'll have to wait to look for any used EV deals until next year.

Bummer, that's kind of what I suspected due to the lack of clarity on their website. Well, I guess I'll have to wait to look for any used EV deals until next year.

Any EV that you buy this year, you file the taxes for it next year. That is, in April 2025 you file your taxes for this year 2024.
So if you and your spouse buy two EVs today and qualify for the credit, it would be counted when you do your taxes next year. But you get the credit now.

If you haven't voted yet, be sure to cast your vote at Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll".

Indeed, the requirements are at Used Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service but none of that helps me as I'm single and way above the income cap. My income's also too high for the Credits for new clean vehicles purchased in 2023 or after | Internal Revenue Service. Prior to all these changes, there was no income cap (and also no used EV credit).

As for disarray, indeed. My '22 Niro EV lease runs out at end of Jan 2025. My residual is ~$21.5K so I've been just poking around at used prices to see if it'd make sense to buy it out at the end. When I took a peek at https://www.cars.com/shopping/resul...pe=used&year_max=2022&year_min=2022&zip=90210, the answer was no as there are already '22 Niro EV w/the same trim and equipment level for <$21.5K. BUT, some of the listings list a price with the $4K used tax credit already deducted (which is totally useless for me). So, for those, I have to add $4K back to the price. Some don't say so I'd have to confirm w/them whether they did or not.

And, in a few cases, they list a "teaser" price and in the seller's notes, they require you to take on over $2K of dealer crap. If you visit the dealer's site, they also list the say vehicle with over $2K of dealer crap.
I have seen this from more than a few dealerships. Even worse, some are advertising them at $24K or $25K and state they have already included the $4000 incentive in the vehicle price, which wouldn't have made it eligible in the first place. Lots of shady *sugar* out there, Beware!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I am also curious about this. I have tried to find out if a Husband and wife can each have 1, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe that I can.
My understanding is when you file as “married filing jointly” both husband and wife can qualify for a used EV credit in a 3 year period. I also had a terribly difficult time finding this info, but I chatted with KeySavvy reps online and they were quite confident this is true, and stated that they actually have IRS representatives come in and give presentations regarding tax questions like this to help inform their staff. I bought my second used EV recently and intentionally put my wife’s name on the bill of sale as the buyer since my name was on the first one; hopefully this makes it less likely to get caught up in the IRS system when I file next year. As you can tell I didn’t get the credit at the time of sale so I’m not 100% sure I will get the credit next year, but I think I probably will.

Reactions: Doc_Hudson
Ok! I got some really good info to share. I was able to get my Tesla transferred to me! This only applies if you bought a Tesla from Hertz.
I'll go through what worked and what didn't.

What didn't work:
1. The Hertz Car Sales people are useless. They don't know anything.
2. The Hertz Emergency EV support line tried their hardest. But they don't have access to vehicles that are not currently an active rental.
3. Fidelity (the after-sales support company that Hertz uses) is more than useless. They don't know anything about Teslas, let alone how to transfer ownership. And they take forever to answer your call.
4. Adding a vehicle through the Tesla.com website did not work because it required me to change the vehicle name to a 3-letter code at the last step. Because Hertz locked my car in Guest mode it did not allow me to change the vehicle name. As such, the last step can never be completed. If you are able to change your car's name, maybe it'll work for you and you don't have to go through all the steps below.

What did work:
0. Make sure you already have a Tesla account. You don't need to have any cars or anything in your account. Just create an account at Tesla.com first if you don't already have one. Make sure you are connected to WiFi (tap the antenna icon at the top/right corner and connect to your home WiFi). Hertz Teslas do not have premium connectivity, so the car will not have access to celluar data. Anything that Tesla does on their side needs to be received by your car. So your car must be on WiFi to receive that.
1. Call Tesla's support line at 1-888-518-3752.
2. Choose vehicle support.
3. Explain that you bought a used Tesla from Hertz (3rd party) and your vehicle is in Guest Mode. You want to transfer ownership of the vehicle from Hertz to you.
4. The Tesla agent will ask for your Tesla account email, the car's VIN, and other information. They will send you an email requesting some more information, such as the VIN again, email address, home address, phone number, and you will need to attach photos of your driver license and bill of sale/registration/something that shows you own the car. Tip: Take good pictures with your phone. Don't send dark, fuzzy, out of focus pictures. Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.
5. Reply to the email and send all requested info to Tesla. The case number is in the subject line of the email, so don't change anything in the subject line.
6. The agent should receive it right away and start the process.
7. Shortly after you should get an automated email from Tesla saying that a vehicle was added to your account. For me, it took maybe 5 minutes and I got the email. I verified at Tesla.com that the car with my VIN was in fact in my account.
8. Thank the agent and continue to the next step inside your car.
--------
9. On the touchscreen, tap the car icon at the bottom/left corner.
10. Tap Control - Service - Factory Reset (you may have to scroll down if your screen is set to Large Text).
11. It'll ask for your Tesla login. Enter the email and password for your Tesla account.
12. The screen will go dark for a couple of minutes. Then you'll see the "T" logo as the computer starts up and eventually you'll see the main screen.
13. Since everything was reset, you might need your Key Card/Key Fob (your phone key was reset) and you can begin to set everything up again. Don't forget to set up WiFi first. While I was changing some settings, the screen blinked and the "T" logo came up like it just rebooted. I thought that was kind of strange. I don't know why it did that, but everything was fine afterwards.
Now that folks know this - don't pay for a Hertz vehicle until they go through the steps before sale to move it out of guest mode . . .