Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to start this thread for people who just bought a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental. Hertz has something like 100,000 Teslas that they are selling in the next few months. I'm sure a lot of people will have some problems. I think this might be helpful with new Tesla owners, such as transferring ownership or what not.

I got my Model 3 Long Range just a few days ago. I've run into a couple of problems with transferring ownershipd. In my account at Tesla.com, I clicked on "Purchased a car from a third party?", followed the directions and uploaded my documents and ID to Tesla. At the last step, Tesla gave me a 3-letter code to change the name of my car to and finalize the transfer. But that did not work because on my car's touchscreen where I am supposed to be able to tap on the current name and change it to the 3-letter code, tapping on that did nothing. In fact, the current name is greyed out (dark blue, actually) and tapping on the greyed out name has no effect. There are also a couple of things that is locked by a PIN, which I do not have.

I found some contact numbers for assistance. So far, I have not been able to transfer ownership or factory reset the computer. But maybe others might have better luck. If you do find some info, please share it.
Hertz EV Support: 800-848-3424
Fidelity (Hertz after-sales support): 800-327-5172

You might be right about Hertz selling 20,000 Teslas and not 100,000. That's what most of the media is currently reporting. But according to Car & Driver, Hertz ordered 100,000 Teslas. Don't know if they actually got 100,000 and if they did they might only be selling 20,000 of them.

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38052601/hertz-buying-100000-tesla-rental-evs/

They are not even selling 20,000 Teslas, according to articles. They are selling 20,000 EVs, INCLUDING teslas. Not sure why you are doubling down on that 100k number when nothing reported has said that, and it really doesnt have a lot to do with after sales support which is what it appears the idea behind the thread was.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 12.35.48 PM.png

Yeah, everything I've read has said ~20,000 EVs. This number is made up of mostly Teslas, but includes other make/model EVs.

The two reasons consistently cited by numerous articles/news outlets were high collision and repair costs, and depreciation values.

Out of curiosity... did your Hertz Tesla have a Carfax/reported accident?

which means they were constantly Supercharged everyday for Uber purposes. Sounds like a headache to own.
Think that Super Charger damages your battery theory was recently debunked.

Beyond that, I know two MS owners who have owned for 8/10 years. Both free SuperCharge only, no home chargers. No battery issues.

This isn’t a poopy legacy S/X, many people exclusively supercharge and have little degradation.

There are lots of reasons why I’d personally never buy a previous rental/rideshare car. Frequent supercharging wouldn’t even crack the top ten.

Even “poopy” legacy S/X were generally just fine with supercharging all the time. Don’t recall many/any examples of battery failures that were conclusively the result of fast charging. I easily put 40,000 miles of DCFC through mine (of a total 175,000 miles).

There are lots of reasons why I’d personally never buy a previous rental/rideshare car. Frequent supercharging wouldn’t even crack the top ten.

Even “poopy” legacy S/X were generally just fine with supercharging all the time. Don’t recall many/any examples of battery failures that were conclusively the result of fast charging. I easily put 40,000 miles of DCFC through mine (of a total 175,000 miles).
I agree, I only had to replace the P85’s pack due to failed module @ 210k. It was an (almost) exclusively supercharged car.

Our X was fine at near 100k miles, with almost 70k of it being supercharging since covid.

Reactions: SO16 and Skavatar
Why is that?

This isn’t a poopy legacy S/X, many people exclusively supercharge and have little degradation.

Or are we just saying words to say them, without specifics?
While this isn't a 3, 70 and 90 kWh S and X packs were known to get "nerfed" once you passed a certain # of kWh of Supercharging. See 90 and 75 battery packs getting nerfed early???. Unfortunately, some people in there have some unit problems and aren't using the right ones (kW vs. kWh).

I haven't kept up on whether any other Teslas or packs are subject to such nerfing.

While this isn't a 3, 70 and 90 kWh S and X packs were known to get "nerfed" once you passed a certain # of kWh of Supercharging. See 90 and 75 battery packs getting nerfed early???. Unfortunately, some people in there have some unit problems and aren't using the right ones (kW vs. kWh).

I haven't kept up on whether any other Teslas or packs are subject to such nerfing.
3/Y don’t have this issue. Newer S/X packs don’t have this issue.

Thank you for answering my question, with your last sentence. Didn’t old time members call this FUD? 😂

Reactions: Wattsisname
3/Y don’t have this issue. Newer S/X packs don’t have this issue.

Thank you for answering my question, with your last sentence. Didn’t old time members call this FUD? 😂
The 75 and 90 kWh S and X nerfing was discovery made in 2019. Many different packs have come out since then so I can't say with authority that your 1st statement is correct. It's not like folks who bought 75 and 90 kWh S and X at the time knew that would happen.

My model 3 is still in guest mode. That means several features I cannot turn on/off until Hertz transfers ownership to me. IOne of these things is it is limited “chill” in the driving mode, and speed limited to 120 mph. Another thing is even after I set the battery to charge to 100%, the next time I plug in it resets to 80%. So it would appear Hertz put several limits on the rentals to make sure they last longer.

I did consider getting a Civic from Hertz but prices aren't much cheaper than new

Maintenance would be a big factor for ICE cars but not EVs. Also not worried about wear and tear as much.

Reactions: IronHamster
I did consider getting a Civic from Hertz but prices aren't much cheaper than new

Maintenance would be a big factor for ICE cars but not EVs. Also not worried about wear and tear as much.

Years ago I bought a Chevy Sonic from the same Hertz in town with 40k miles. It has 116k miles now and hardly any issues the entire time. We replaced some things like battery, alternator, water pump, recharged the AC, and things that you normally have to replace with any car after so many miles.