Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I missed that part at the start of the video, but all I can say is "we'll see". :)

- - - Updated - - -

What they might lose on margin, they'd make up in volume. :)

But seriously, how killer would be AWD as a standard for the MS going forward compared to so many other luxury/sport cars in this segment? How many BMWs and Mercedes have AWD at the same price points and the performance of the MS? None.

I don't particularly want AWD. The two things I've never really thought the Model S is lacking are power and weight; adding both is meh. I mean, it's cool if they make it available for people that want it, but I'd rather have RWD.

of course revealing an AWD system on the Model S, does get the Model X closer to production.
Having the final drive train completed and being offered on the Model S is actual progress towards the Model X, which is really just a different body on the same drive train. There doesn't seem to be much recognition of this on the thread.

Please keep politics out of this thread and also look up how much vacation various recent presidents have had and what it means for a president to go on vacation (they never really are).
"Please keep politics out of this thread (while I add more politics to the thread)" is a bit of a bad example, no?
And this is the result:
I have looked it up. ...

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC it was battery swap
Thanks.
I'm a bit lost how that fit the description, especially since quite a bit later we have yet to see an owner use one ever.

Not sure why everyone has decided that neither the X nor the 3 is off the list for tomorrow, based on Elon's words with VF. I heard him say to the interviewer that he wasn't going to discuss those two topics. How did that turn into 'neither one is the something else'?

By this time tomorrow night, the mystery will be over. Til then, carry on with the overthinking!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why a lot of you guys are so focused on supercar performance? Sure the MS is has great acceleration off the line, but that's mostly due to how electric motors work. Elon's life long goal is to bring EVs to the masses and transform the auto industry. You don't do that by making supercars with 600 HP. You do that by building affordable cars with good performance that everyone wants to buy and can actually afford.

BTW, it's DUAL drive (as in "two"), not DUEL (as in "combat").

The Model S and especially the P85D or whatever it will be called isn't their affordable car. People spending $110K+ on a performance sedan do expect stellar performance though.

I guess it is going to be driverless technology. Which fits with the comment that it is under appreciated. I mean, I would appreciate it, but I've seen a lot of comments on these threads saying they don't think much of it.

HOWEVER, is anyone else a bit bothered that Tesla is about to give us driverless technology when they have SO many bugs and not really functional features as it is? A really bad browser, with still lots of bugs. A nav system that routinely gives bad directions. Missing features like Bluetooth priority so your wife's phone doesn't high jack the Bluetooth connection (not to mention your iPad), etc. etc.

I shudder to think what bugs will do to a driverless car...

I didn't see it yet, so I decided to write the transcript as I heard it. I only bothered with putting the Elon parts. Hope this helps:
We're not going to talk about the Model 3 or the Model X.

D and there's another thing.

I would have said the other thing but it would have been too obvious.

I can't say what the letter is.

[D] I think the internet is very good at guessing. They understand
directionally... directionally correct but the magnitude is not well
appreciated yet.

I kind of got myself in trouble because we had the S and the X
and just for fun we tried to trademark the model E and then Ford
sued us... or said they were going to sue us. So we had to change
it to the model 3. So S 3 X. Totally different.

When I say that we are about to unveil the D and something else
I kind of dug my own grave on that front.

Elon Musk on Plans to | Vanity Fair

Surely "not realizing the magnitude" refers to driverless. You can only talk up AWD so much.

I just don't think they are anywhere close to "driverless" and that is certainly not the "D", it's just silly to think they can do driverless when they have so many other bugs in their non-vital features. Not only that, but I don't think that would be branded as a different model or option but something just inherently available to all models.

I think the D is definitely the AWD, I think the magnitude that is missing is how it shows that the Model X production is right around the corner, producing RWD and AWD cars on the same chassis and production line. As for the "something else", my guess its the new driver assist features - but then again he said its something thats already there and can be activated. To say that the last 1,000 or so cars produced out of 55,000+ cars or so is something that is "already there" is a big overstatement, so I am hoping it is something big for all of us owners!